Lineman

OldTimer

With all the comments on the need for lineman I offer the following;

NT has 5 JC DT's that we have made an offer to...all are 3 * rated. In additon 2 JC OL 1 a 3 * and the other a 4*. We have 2 HS linemen committed both quality players...12 HS DL,DE, and a couple of LB that have expressed an interest in NT. Our coaches are working their butts off recruiting. I believe this is an indication we need linemen and that the coaches are aware of it.

How many starting OT in Div 1 schools that weigh 250, how many starting DT that weight 245 that have winning records. Until we get size and strength we can't rush the opponents QB and runners behind their line of scrimmage....we won't be able to stop their offense. Until we have OL that have size and strenght we aren't able to creat blocking lanes for our running backs, nor protect our passers long enough to look at more than one received. It would help our passing offense if we had the size and speed of WR's that will play next year.

It seems to be what every program goes after, big, fast linemen on both sides of the ball. It seems to me that we decided to go after these guys a little too late. What are the chances, given our horrendous play, that guys will want to come here? I am not giving up on the program, just really concerned about the state it's in.

Edited by filmerj

It seems to be what every program goes after, big, fast linemen on both sides of the ball. It seems to me that we decided to go after these guys a little too late. What are the chances, given our horrendous play, that guys will want to come here? I am not giving up on the program, just really concerned about the state it's in.

The opportunity to play sooner ....our top 2 DT graduate even if one is no longer playing.

Unless the rules have changed, I don't think Joe is eligible for a medical redshirt.

I believe that the maximum amount of games a player can participate in and still receive a medical redshirt is three. Joe played in the KSU, Tulsa, LSU, and Rice games.

Zach Muzzy was injured on the opening kickoff of his fourth game in 2003 and the NCAA denied his medical redshirt request.

TCU's two-deep at Defensive Tackle and Nose Tackle all weigh 292 or less. Not as small as ours, but not giant compared to many FBS D-lines...the back-up nose tackle is under six feet and is listed at 270:

DT

(1) Cody Moore: 6-1/292; (2) Kelly Griffin 6-1/280

NT

(1) James Vess 6-3/290; (2) John Vanua 5-10/270

It's important to note that these are listed heights and weights...and we all know how reliable self-listing is. :rolleyes: My guess is these guys have been given an inch or two and five to 10 pounds in the media guide.

Anyway, Gary Patterson has made a living out of taking smaller guys on the d-line and still creating havoc. See, you just have to know how to do it. Patterson does.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

With all the comments on the need for lineman I offer the following;

NT has 5 JC DT's that we have made an offer to...all are 3 * rated. In additon 2 JC OL 1 a 3 * and the other a 4*.

I like the idea of recruiting JC players because of the maturity and experience they should have. However, we have been burned many times recently by transfers reporting overweight or not achieving the grades they needed to get out of JC.

TCU's two-deep at Defensive Tackle and Nose Tackle all weigh 292 or less. Not as small as ours, but not giant compared to many FBS D-lines...the back-up nose tackle is under six feet and is listed at 270:

DT

NT

It's important to note that these are listed heights and weights...and we all know how reliable self-listing is. :rolleyes: My guess is these guys have been given an inch or two and five to 10 pounds in the media guide.

Anyway, Gary Patterson has made a living out of taking smaller guys on the d-line and still creating havoc. See, you just have to know how to do it. Patterson does.

I wish that it was only size that counted, unfortunately it isn't. I would rather have a smaller guy that is faster than a huge tree that gets blown by each down.

Coach DeLoach has told individuals that the biggest problem since the last time he was in Denton is conditioning. Just look at those 2 OL that we got from JC. One guy weighted near 400pds and both these guys were out of shape.

Those were guys that just came into the program. Did he say the same about players that were in the program last year?

DT

NT

Those were guys that just came into the program. Did he say the same about players that were in the program last year?

I don't understand why Dodge would sign a 400lb. Juco lineman that only had two years eligibility if he was overweight and can't be helpful much the first year. Or did the guy just add 100 lbs over summer?

I don't understand why Dodge would sign a 400lb. Juco lineman that only had two years eligibility if he was overweight and can't be helpful much the first year. Or did the guy just add 100 lbs over summer?

I believe Jenkins was listed as being somewhere in the 330 lb. range when we signed him. Hopefully we can redshirt him this year, since he hasn't seen any playing time.