Just Say No To Obama!

I had a lady trying to electioneer me today while standing in line with my fiance. It's irritating that people think you can't make an informed vote if you're young. The biggest thing is that if she wants to help get a certain candidate elected, she should travel to a state that it actually matters(FL. PA, anybody?) Texas hasn't voted for a democrat for president since Jimmy Carter in '76 and it doesn't look like that will change anytime soon. I hate to break it to everyone electioneering in Texas but, IT DOESN"T MATTER. For president, a Texan's vote does not count and it hasn't been close in quite some time. That is just the way of the electoral college and we must accept that.

My advice to all is check out your local/state candidates and you actually have a chance of that vote making a difference.

It's irritating that people think you can't make an informed vote if you're young.

I hear ya but there may be good reason that some may think that?

WahingtonPost.com: 5 Myths About Those Civic-Minded, Deeply Informed Voters

1. .....A 2006 National Geographic poll showed that six in ten young people (aged 18 to 24) could not find Iraq on the map.

5. Young voters are paying a lot of attention to the news.

Again, no. Despite all the hoopla about young voters -- the great hope of the future! -- only one news story in 2001 drew the attention of a majority of them: 9/11. Some 60 percent of young voters told Pew researchers that they were following news about the attack closely. (Er -- 40 percent weren't?) But none of the other stories that year seemed particularly interesting to them. Only 32 percent said that they followed the news about the anthrax attacks or the economy, then in recession. The capture of Kabul from the Taliban? Just 20 percent.

Six years later, Pew again measured public knowledge of current events and found that the young (aged 18 to 29) "know the least." A majority of young respondents scored in the "low knowledge" category -- the only demographic group to do so.

And some other statistics are even more alarming. How many young people read newspapers? Just 20 percent. (Worse, studies consistently show that people who do not pick up the newspaper-reading habit in their 20s rarely do so later.) But surely today's youth are getting their news from the Internet? Sorry. Only 11 percent of the young report that they regularly surf the Internet for news. Maybe Obama shouldn't be relying on savvy young voters after all.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick