Rice Game

CorinthEagle

Not true! We are staying in the Hilton a couple of exits down for $65 a night!

Are you talking about this Hilton? Hilton Houston Southwest If so, that's exactly the area I'm talking about. There's a reason the rate is only $65. The hotel itself is very nice - I haven't stayed there, but my company has held meetings there. It was undoubtedly built back when SW Houston was the place to live/work/etc. You'll be plenty safe at the hotel, but you're not going to want to spend any time walking around the area.

Are you talking about this Hilton? Hilton Houston Southwest If so, that's exactly the area I'm talking about. There's a reason the rate is only $65. The hotel itself is very nice - I haven't stayed there, but my company has held meetings there. It was undoubtedly built back when SW Houston was the place to live/work/etc. You'll be plenty safe at the hotel, but you're not going to want to spend any time walking around the area.

I'll second that. Be in by dark, not a good area.

I'll second that. Be in by dark, not a good area.

Yeah, I was born and raised near the intersection of Chimney Rock and the SW Frwy. It's still OK around there now, but things start to get pretty bad when you head a couple of miles south on the freeway toward Sharpstown and that hotel. It's not like it's a battle zone, but there are certainly better areas.

How about making a little trip out of it. I plan on making Galvestion island a little Greener when I head down that ways

I hear that! My wife and I and a few others are going to spend 2-3 nights in Galveston for the Rice game. It doesn't hurt that her family has a nice little beach condo. Woohoo for free places to stay!

how far is the horse track from the rice stadium? i have a horse betting problem! :)

As FFJ stated, it is on the opposite side of Houston. I live in the same area as FFJ and it is just a few minutes from our homes.

My advice? Come down on Friday, exit Beltway 8 West off of I45 on the north side of town and go to the horse track Friday evening, or stopped by on your way out of town on Sunday. Here's the website for the horse track:

www.shrp.com

I am at the Hilton Plaza. Hilton Southwest is ok but unfortunatly(?) are heavily frequented by a certain group of people, The Doubletrww on Dallas is downrown - maybe a little bit far. The hotels on Sage near the Galleria are excellent.

I would think that hotels downtown are about the same distance, or maybe a little closer, to Rice as the ones in the Galleria area.

Downtown is actually a really easy shot over to the Rice area. In fact, if you opt to stay downtown near somewhere with Light Rail access, you can hop that down Main to Rice U for a couple bucks and not even bother with driving to the game! The school is also right across the street from Hermann Park, The Houston Zoo, and The Museum of Natural Science so there's plenty to do to make a decent weekend of it.

Edited by Eagle1855

Another option for those of you wanting to make a weekend of it is to stay down in Kemah, about 30 minutes south of town.

Info. on Kemah

The owner of Landry's has reallly made that into a nice spot. A lot of great eating establishments and fun stuff for the kiddos. I plan to stop by there while I am down. I am really looking forward to some fun in the sun and a win by our meanie greenies.

Ah yes, the danger train! A word of warning - if you drive on Main St., DON'T make any left turns. It's illegal for a reason - you might get hit by the train. If you need to make a left, make 3 right turns instead.

Is it the "danger train" just because of the car issue or is dangerous on the train too?

Is it the "danger train" just because of the car issue or is dangerous on the train too?

The trains appear to be safe to ride, as in there isn't any violence on board, etc... The issue is much what Dallas went through when DART started running trains downtown. Folks driving cars don't pay attention, much worse in Houston, and run in front of trains and so forth. The Metro train system in Houston is a good deal and as stated prior, runs from downtown to the Herman Park area which is very close to Rice.