Riley Vs. Vizza

JesseMartin

I think the two might end up being a great tandem because...

As Riley helps Vizza keep developing the spread offense, Vizza will help Riley learn more about college-level stuff that he picked up in his first year. I'm not saying this will necessarily impact playing time or anything, but I bet in the long run this combo will be great and will help both of them learn more...and learn faster.

On the other hand, if Vizza gets hurt who do we go to? I don't think Meager is the guy.

Why not? He's had college experience, in this offense, and is D1 sized. Didn't you yourself just say Riley needs time to put on size? Vizza is clearly our starter...but I think it should be just as clear that Meager is #2.

LOL yeah he does.

Let's not forget Meager vs. SMU. It's not like the kid is a hack or anything. All I meant with the original post is that the QB combo we have now is likely the perfect situation for a pseudo-symbiotic learning curve.

LOL yeah he does.

Let's not forget Meager vs. SMU. It's not like the kid is a hack or anything. All I meant with the original post is that the QB combo we have now is likely the perfect situation for a pseudo-symbiotic learning curve.

--He did well... we lost because the defense was worse than horrible. Riley should red-shirt, besides this is a kid with no NFL future ( too short)and he could use the extra year of scholarship to work on a masters as some in the past has done (Hall).

I still do not believe they will redshirt Riley. I think he will start the season as the number 3 QB, but be number 2 by the start of Sun Belt play.

But why waste a year with him as the number 2 or 3? Vizza has earned the starting job, Meager should be #2 and Tune #3 with Riley redshirting this year. It will give Riley time to mature physically and get settled in to college life. The redshirt could always be burned if the need arises, but why not wait and see. I would rather have Vizza start the next three years and have Riley as a RS Freshman during Vizza's Jr. year and a sophmore during his Sr. year. You then get two full years of Riley starting.

I remember that Meager would've done better under the Dickey era if the O-Line would give him time to see anything downfield.

I think Meager would have done better if he had a QB coach/Offensive Coordinator that knew how to coach and develop him. Talent was never the issue, but for some reason, confidence seemed to be. Getting beat up and then having a position coach like his couldn't have helped. Just my two cents from afar.

But why waste a year with him as the number 2 or 3? Vizza has earned the starting job, Meager should be #2 and Tune #3 with Riley redshirting this year. It will give Riley time to mature physically and get settled in to college life. The redshirt could always be burned if the need arises, but why not wait and see. I would rather have Vizza start the next three years and have Riley as a RS Freshman during Vizza's Jr. year and a sophmore during his Sr. year. You then get two full years of Riley starting.

I too would like to see Riley redshirt, but I wouldn't expect 4 years of Vizza and only 2 of Riley. Might wanna switch those two numbers. I'd say best possible case scenario for all parties involved would be redshirt Riley, allow Vizza to start and showcase his talent, then Vizza either transfers or becomes a more than capable version of Daniel Meager his last two years.

Edited by Green P1

I'm going to go out on a really long, thin limb here and predict we put the QB out there who gives us the best chance to win.

I have no idea who it is going to be, but I really have to trust that Dodge puts on the coaches cap, lays down the Daddy bias, and makes the decision based on what's best for the team.

I know. I'm crazy. Flame away.

I too would like to see Riley redshirt, but I wouldn't expect 4 years of Vizza and only 2 of Riley. Might wanna switch those two numbers. I'd say best possible case scenario for all parties involved would be redshirt Riley, allow Vizza to start and showcase his talent, then Vizza either transfers or becomes a more than capable version of Daniel Meager his last two years.

Why? Why would Vizza transfer and why would you not want 4 years out of Vizza? How would the idea of Vizza transferring or being number 2 behind Riley be the best case scenario for all parties involved?

IF, and I capitalized it on purpose, Riley beats out Vizza, then so be it, but I'm not convinced Riley is the best of the two at this time. Vizza is one hell of a QB and could turn out to be one of the best ever at NT.

Why? Why would Vizza transfer and why would you not want 4 years out of Vizza? How would the idea of Vizza transferring or being number 2 behind Riley be the best case scenario for all parties involved?

IF, and I capitalized it on purpose, Riley beats out Vizza, then so be it, but I'm not convinced Riley is the best of the two at this time. Vizza is one hell of a QB and could turn out to be one of the best ever at NT.

I like Vizza, he's one hell of a tough kid, and seems to be a good enough leader. I do however think that many on this board seem to forget his shortcomings and focus solely on his stats which in this offense would be difficult not to replicate. Vizza's the perfect guy to run this team for one more year while Dodge gets this program ready to roll. I have a hard time imagining Vizza holding on to the reins once Riley's ready.

Could not agree more. I just don't think the coaches are going to redshirt him.

I'm going to go out on a really long, thin limb here and predict we put the QB out there who gives us the best chance to win.

I have no idea who it is going to be, but I really have to trust that Dodge puts on the coaches cap, lays down the Daddy bias, and makes the decision based on what's best for the team.

I know. I'm crazy. Flame away.

I think he's already shown he can lay down the Daddy bias by naming Vizza #1 so far in advance.

I like Vizza, he's one hell of a tough kid, and seems to be a good enough leader. I do however think that many on this board seem to forget his shortcomings and focus solely on his stats which in this offense would be difficult not to replicate. Vizza's the perfect guy to run this team for one more year while Dodge gets this program ready to roll. I have a hard time imagining Vizza holding on to the reins once Riley's ready.

I have a feeling that opinion is based a lot on his interceptions, our inability to capitalize on as many red zone opportunities we had, and the assumptions that he can't improve and Riley will instantly transfer his success from high school to the college game.

Last year (for both) means nothing now except that Vizza has been named the starter for game 1. Let's go from there.

Edited by greenminer

I'd rather hear what GreenP1 has to say.

I would attribute the reasons you listed to being a true freshman and having an entire team learning a new system. Vizza's credentials coming out of high school were impressive and based upon your comments, you seem to be saying that we've seen the best there is from Vizza. Thinking that a 19 year old with Vizza's talent and work ethic can't improve is ridiculous.

TD proved at SLC that he will do what is best for the team.

What I'm about to type will probably piss off many of you and you'll be calling for my head. Let me also preface my coming comments by stating that I was a huge Scott Hall fan, but Vizza is much more talented as a quarterback than Hall was and appears to have many of the same leadership qualities. I think it is ridiculous to throw in a true freshman that could use a year or two to mature physically when there is an extremely talented, maybe more so than any quarterback at NT in a long time, returning starter that could break every passing record in the NT record books.

I am also a huge Riley fan, but IMHO, redshirting Riley and creating some space, eligibility wise, between he and Vizza is the best thing to do for this program.

Obviously, nobody on this board has seen any practices or Saturday's scrimmage. Ask Vito or Harry about who the CLEAR CUT QB is on this team. If you see them play and practice, it's a no brainer.

I don't believe Riley is as far along as Vizza LAST season more less this season. Vizza looks extremely poised and seasoned compared to Riley. I am not knocking Riley, but he is definitely NOT in Vizza's class as of now.

Riley has good feet. Giovanni is the total package and way ahead at this point. Both kids are doing well as is Meager and Tune.

Great problems to have but it's crystal clear right now.

Edited by nautique

I'd rather hear what GreenP1 has to say.

I would attribute the reasons you listed to being a true freshman and having an entire team learning a new system. Vizza's credentials coming out of high school were impressive and based upon your comments, you seem to be saying that we've seen the best there is from Vizza. Thinking that a 19 year old with Vizza's talent and work ethic can't improve is ridiculous.

TD proved at SLC that he will do what is best for the team.

What I'm about to type will probably piss off many of you and you'll be calling for my head. Let me also preface my coming comments by stating that I was a huge Scott Hall fan, but Vizza is much more talented as a quarterback than Hall was and appears to have many of the same leadership qualities. I think it is ridiculous to throw in a true freshman that could use a year or two to mature physically when there is an extremely talented, maybe more so than any quarterback at NT in a long time, returning starter that could break every passing record in the NT record books.

I am also a huge Riley fan, but IMHO, redshirting Riley and creating some space, eligibility wise, between he and Vizza is the best thing to do for this program.

I never intended to turn this into Vizza bashing, and I would love for him to take huge strides forward this year. As to what I meant by shortcomings, descision making and struggles with accuracy downfield, most of his interceptions were basically prayers thrown deep. The guy's got tons of moxy, but to assert that he's much more talented than Scott...... why? He (Vizza) gets 45 chances per game to throw the ball, and averages 6 yards a completion. In all of Scott's years at UNT he never had more than 33 attempts in a game, and had more than 30 only twice. I realize he was our most recent successful QB, but to compare the two is impossible.

Edited by Green P1