Riley Vs. Vizza

JesseMartin

I never intended to turn this into Vizza bashing, and I would love for him to take huge strides forward this year. As to what I meant by shortcomings, descision making and struggles with accuracy downfield, most of his interceptions were basically prayers thrown deep. The guy's got tons of moxy, but to assert that he's much more talented than Scott...... why? He (Vizza) gets 45 chances per game to throw the ball, and averages 6 yards a completion. In all of Scott's years at UNT he never had more than 33 attempts in a game, and had more than 30 only twice. I realize he was our most recent successful QB, but to compare the two is impossible.

Yay for turning this into Vizza vs Scott!

Stats are a moot point. No one is pointing them out. I'd also like to say as a huge Scott Hall fan, I am loving what Vizza brings to the table: a stronger arm, quick(er?) release, and much faster in the open field. Scott could be one slippery dude, but once he stepped out the pocket he doesn't compare to Vizza. The kicker is that Vizza, based on my humble observations, brings to the table every bit the level of intangibles Scott Hall had. Love for the game, refuse to lose, etc...

My prediction? 2 more years into this, 15+ wins later, and we'll have the QB of the future. Todge will bring in the super QB recruit that is just as fast as anyone, with all the strength and intangibles we love. Todge will not be able to ignore an 18 year old blue chip that out performs anything SR Vizza has to show, and Riley is benched for the rest of his career.

All of us Vizza and Riley lovers will not know what to do with ourselves. Trouser snakes will limp back to the cage, and Mean Green nation will have an identity crisis because we can't have our first love (Vizza) and everything we thought would make SexyTime genius (Rodge) is forgetting about football because his groupies never cared about football anyways. He never takes a snap of a live game, and his shoulder becomes a bitter excuse for every Rodge lover not knowing how to justify their lives.

As a "True Freshman," last year, Vizza did a great job and progressively improved as the season progressed. Vizza's transition from H.S. to college was a tremendous learning experience (especially from the speed standpoint) and in the back of everyone's mind we all know what adversities the team faced moving from a run based offense to a spread offense with a team that had only won a handfull of games in two years.

Forget about the INT's he threw.....heck he was an 18 year old freshman going through a giant learning curve.

I expect to see greater achievments on not only his part this year but also the team that has one year's experience on offense. With Coach Deloach taking care of the "D" UNT should do much much better.

I am anxious to see the team play with the additional talent that Coach Dodge & staff recruited for this year.

As far as Riley, we know that Coach Dodge will be totally & 100% objective......and probably more so with his son.

Not to knock one of our legends but comparing Vizza to Scott Hall is ridiculous. Scott was a gamer, no doubt about it. He was a perfect caretaker for the Dickey offense. But, in my humble opinion, he was never head and shoulders above Andrew Smith...and Vizza is more talented than both of them.

Green P1, you bring up the fact that Scott never threw the ball more than about 30 times a game (and I think even that is on the high side for a Dickey offense). Has it occurred to you that perhaps the very reason he was so successful throwing the ball is that the defense seldom is ever saw it coming? Vizza lines up and the D expects pass on pretty much every down. That he did as well as he did, to me, is a testament to his talent.

Throw in the fact that our O-line wasn't what it could be this year (both Meager and Vizza ran for their lives often) and the receivers were just learning their routes...not exactly a lot of routes to learn in the Dickey offense...and I think Vizza will be a huge asset this season.

Not to knock one of our legends but comparing Vizza to Scott Hall is ridiculous. Scott was a gamer, no doubt about it. He was a perfect caretaker for the Dickey offense. But, in my humble opinion, he was never head and shoulders above Andrew Smith...and Vizza is more talented than both of them.

Green P1, you bring up the fact that Scott never threw the ball more than about 30 times a game (and I think even that is on the high side for a Dickey offense). Has it occurred to you that perhaps the very reason he was so successful throwing the ball is that the defense seldom is ever saw it coming? Vizza lines up and the D expects pass on pretty much every down. That he did as well as he did, to me, is a testament to his talent.

Throw in the fact that our O-line wasn't what it could be this year (both Meager and Vizza ran for their lives often) and the receivers were just learning their routes...not exactly a lot of routes to learn in the Dickey offense...and I think Vizza will be a huge asset this season.

Couldn't agree more.

What I meant by bringing Hall into this conversation is that many people loved Hall, but he did not have a strong arm and was not as mobile as Vizza, he just knew how to lead and win. I see Vizza as being a leader in much the same way Hall was, but with much more physical talent as a QB. I'm not knocking Hall at all. I love the intangibles he brought and his never say die attitude

I like Vizza, he's one hell of a tough kid, and seems to be a good enough leader. I do however think that many on this board seem to forget his shortcomings and focus solely on his stats which in this offense would be difficult not to replicate. Vizza's the perfect guy to run this team for one more year while Dodge gets this program ready to roll. I have a hard time imagining Vizza holding on to the reins once Riley's ready.

Vizza is probably the best QB prospect that has ever set foot on UNT's campus. Riley is right there with him. Meager is very close. With that kind of talent at the most important position on the field, you want to maximize their time on the field, and let the new guys learn as much as possible--and mature--BEFORE throwing them to the wolves. A year shirting for Riley is the best luxury the program could afford to have.

UNT has a deep QB stable now. It's folly to piss away your depth for no reason.

Speaking of Meager, I would have loved to see him have 4 or 5 years under Dodge considering the credentials he had coming out of high school. It is a shame he had to play under RF who wasted his talent. That young man deserves a standing ovation at Senior Day for putting up with what he did/has and for sticking with the program. I know things didn't work out like he wanted them to, but he has handled the situation much better than many much older than him would have.