Experts - How Much Do They Care About Non B C S Teams ?

MeanGreen61

Guest GrayEagleOne

I counted the number of students in the non-BCS universities that they care nothing about and came up with just under 1.2 million. Most universities usually have about five times the number of alumni that they have students, plus add in the families of current students and you begin to have a decent amount of people that you are ignoring or slighting. Ignorance comes from the same root as ignore.

There aren't many knowledge football fans out in the world. Most sort of know about what concerns them, which is their favorite team. I've got a friend who is supposedly a big Razorback fan but he literally will not attend a non-conference game that isn't televised because... "it must not be an important game".

I've come to realize that fans of most non-major schoos are way more knowledgeable about collegiate sports than most fans of major schools.

One of my co-workers is one of the biggest LSU football fans I have ever seen. We were discussing the upcoming football season, and I mentioned that LSU would get a good game from Troy 'cause I've seen them play several times against my Cajuns, and they beat Oklahoma State last season.

Now, I'm not kidding here, not only did he not know that Troy was a member of the SBC, he DID NOT KNOW OSU WAS IN THE BIG-12!

This is a guy who can tell you the height, weight, age, high school, and 40 time of just about every player on LSU's roster, but he could not tell me in which conference Oklahoma State resides.

That, my friend, is called tunnel vision and co-dependent behavior.

Edited by CajunNation

For what 3 or 4 strong years now the college football season has been blessed with a Utah, Boise State, or Hawaii break through team. Granted before the experts will begin to give credit to the Non-BCS schools the BSU and HU teams need to have more than just one break through season. Lets face it though we all love underdogs, but everyone realizes that at the end of the year if could be a 10 years before the teams play in another championship series bowl game.

For what 3 or 4 strong years now the college football season has been blessed with a Utah, Boise State, or Hawaii break through team. Granted before the experts will begin to give credit to the Non-BCS schools the BSU and HU teams need to have more than just one break through season. Lets face it though we all love underdogs, but everyone realizes that at the end of the year if could be a 10 years before the teams play in another championship series bowl game.

No.

People do not like underdogs.

They may like the idea of them but they don't really like them.

The ratings for the BCS games with the unheralded teams have been among the very worst for the BCS. Ticket sales have been the weakest with virtually no "secondary" market for tickets. The TV ratings for Cinderella teams in the NCAA tournament have been bad as well. People hate the idea of schools moving to Division I or I-A because they need to stay "where they belong."

Underdogs being successful upsets the order people are comfortable with. Look at politics (sorry) but people love candidates who say they are for change but have positions that really aren't very different from what has been around for years. The true change candidates are usually out of the presidential races shortly after the New Hampshire primary.

No.

People do not like underdogs.

They may like the idea of them but they don't really like them.

The ratings for the BCS games with the unheralded teams have been among the very worst for the BCS. Ticket sales have been the weakest with virtually no "secondary" market for tickets. The TV ratings for Cinderella teams in the NCAA tournament have been bad as well. People hate the idea of schools moving to Division I or I-A because they need to stay "where they belong."

Underdogs being successful upsets the order people are comfortable with. Look at politics (sorry) but people love candidates who say they are for change but have positions that really aren't very different from what has been around for years. The true change candidates are usually out of the presidential races shortly after the New Hampshire primary.

This I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. First off Ticket sales are down because the economy. Every school has alumni. To say Tulane could not fill the Sugar Bowl or South Florida to fill the Orange bowl is a stretch. For Hawaii to fill up a bowl is a stretch because the price of tickets. TV Ratings has nothing to do with Kansas going 11-1 or Boise State being able to play Oklahoma. Besides what do big schools have to be afraid of, other than the fact that they are just as average as every other BCS or Non-Bcs team. Look at Florida State they are nothing yet they hold the ACC most conference wins why? because they were in a easy conference. Look at Ohio State everyone jumped on their bandwagon in the 2002 cause they won against Miami on a bad call. Now the past two years they have been man handled by True SEC powerhouses. Just like there is no crying in baseball there is no politics in College football. I will cheer for UNT to be at the top every year and ABC and ESPN can go out and buy a UNT Eagle mascot head-wear for game day and Lee Corso can put it on because the days of USC and Notre dame the only game to look forward to are over.

Edited by GreenStreet