No More North Texas Exes To Kick Around Anymore

DallasGreen

Well That's just dumb. UNTAA, Ridiculous! We need to stop all this change crap, no wonder there is very little tradition. No one knows what the hell they are.I am not so much upset with the name change as I am with the lack of focus on starting and keeping traditions alive. Hey which, fingers do I hold up to make the claw? I forget. oh and what color are we? Logo, what's that? I am surprised our Fight Song and School Song haven't changed. I bet someone tried though.

filmerj, I appreciate your opinion and I share some of your concerns. The name change was to better align the organization with the university, students and the grads it serves. I like the NT Exes name, I really do. But it is time to bring back the real tradition and that is proper alignment with the University. The name change is really a change back to the name before it was the Exes. NT Exes it is part of our tradition no matter if we keep it or vote to modify it. The NT Star that we have branded as the Alumni organization logo will NOT change. That is by design in order to bridge the old to the new and pull through the current members and connect with the new grads. I promise you will become proud of the direction, strength and growth of the new organization.

Just as an example, I'm sure you know one of the the Alumni association's main goals is to increase UNT scholarships. The Alumni organization gave about $38K dollars to move, I think 17 scholarships in to an endowed status. Now, the Alumni organization is launching a program to direct scholarships to athletes that have reached their eligibility and exhasted their athletic scholarship dollars. In order to keep those students in school and help them graduate the Alumni organization will help with scholarships to keep those students in our system. I personally see a double win in this kind of prgram; the positive efforts of higher eduction and helping the athletic departments APR. We don't want to lose 5 more athletic scholarships in the future. This is a legal way to assist the athletic department with a mission. We would lecome your restricted donations for these scholarships. More than that, I'll come right out and ask for everyone's support.

Work with us, we are working for the university and need your support. Healthy conflict is OK. We can take criticism if it's meant to help us achieve the greater good of the university!! Your input is valued.

Thanks for reading this.

Go Mean Green!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

none of unt's leadership in band, exes, athletics, or prez attended nt so they put no premium on any traditions. rv has tried to retain some traditions and make amends with former athletes so he gets points.

Incorrect information --in the bylaws it states that any officer or board member has to be a paid up member of University of North Texas Alumni Association. Notice I did not say "The" as UT has a copyright as "The University". I have been on the Board for ten years and know others that were ten years ahead of me. At NO time during that period was ANYONE who did not graduate from North Texas a leader in this organization. You are just flat out wrong on that information.

I've been out of school for 2 months and have yet to receive anything from the NT Exes, other than an offer for health insurance (addressed to my parents <_< ).

If you are computer literate--- go to the website or write dmorgan@unt.edu for more info. than you can read. Sometimes you have to make an effort rather than being a parasite.

If you are computer literate--- go to the website or write dmorgan@unt.edu for more info. than you can read. Sometimes you have to make an effort rather than being a parasite.

When students leave, they are given the option of using their $10 damage deposit for their first dues in the NT Exes, er--- UNT Alumni Association. I will email the address you provided, but shouldn't the UNTAA be seeking out members rather than sitting on their hands waiting for folks to walk through the door?

I have mixed feelings on this notion. I find while a student is at UNT they are overlooked by admin concerning their future wellbeing with regards to sending in donations. However, it is not the universities responsibility to track down the graduate and say "thanks for graduating now how about a little return in dollar amounts. All I am saying is that students one day become alumni and if in good standing with the university they will send in money, regardless of what the name may change too!

I will email the address you provided, but shouldn't the UNTAA be seeking out members rather than sitting on their hands waiting for folks to walk through the door?

I completely agree that they should have a way of contacting new graduates, but in all reality they are just doing much of what the leadership of the entire University does much of the time when it comes to donations or even support.

Ditto

If you attended graduation you must not have listened to the speakers or attended the alumni reception in the Gateway that you were invited to. You guys love to blame somebody else and maybe the job isn't done now as well as you could do it so I suggest you volunteer. There are a lot of volnteers int eh Alumni Asociation that care a great deal and are willing to give back to the university. be one of them! Get caught giving back, it feels pretty good at times!

If the Alumni Association wants new members then they should send information to EVERY graduating student. What an assinine response to an honest question.

Yes, people can search out the alumni association and sign up, but it would be a nice gesture of the NTAA to send a letter to every graduate congratulating them on their accomplishment and inviting them to join the organization they are now eligible for.

--- I don't why in this case it was changed but a lot of places don't use the term "Ex-students" because they consider learning is a life-time process that doesn't end at graduation which is what term seems to indicate..... It implies, Graduate... you aren't a student anymore and will learn nothing more.

---The same go for the term former student association.

---The term Alum or Aluminus implies nothing about learning stopping but that you were once an enrolled student at North Texas or where-ever. I heard that explanation for the name when I enrolled at another University... that used the term Alumini Association.

As of January 1, 2009 all references will be to University of North Texas Alumni Association-- phase out of North Texas Exes begins immediately and is mandated to be complete by 1/1/2009.

Another genius idea coming out of UNT.... :angry:

Let something get half way established and then take it away and replace it with something even worse....great plan of attack!

Edited by Daddy Dumpsalot

Another genius idea coming out of UNT.... :angry:

Let something get half way established and then take it away and replace it with something even worse....great plan of attack!

Daddy, glad this is your opinion. Shows we are on the right side of the coin on this gamble!

It was the "alumni association" when I graduated but I liked the change to NT Exes, more unique. The whole organization seems to be in a constant flux not knowing which direction they want to go to get larger. I do know most alums only interaction with the "association" is thru athletic events so that should be a priority for it!

Boring, yes, but how many ways can you come up with to call an alumni association????

Boring & generic is better than a blatant ripoff from UT exes, IMO.

I'll take a catchy "ripoff" over the same boring thing everybody else has (it's okay to be like everyone else except Texas, then?).

My pet peeves about this whole deal:

1) Why the phobia over being like anyone else - particularly emulating a very successful organization like the Texas Exes (we know there is nothing original out there anyway).

2) I get a little PO'd by the constant removal of any reference to "North Texas" in favor of "UNT" (don't get me wrong, I was strongly in favor of the name change back in '88). We have been some version of "North Texas" since the 1890's and that is something that EVERY Alum of this university shares, no matter what version of the institution's name they graduated under. I was an NTSU alum before I was a UNT alum (I made the old name by one year). The diploma I hang on the wall in my home office is says "North Texas State University" on it. So does my class ring. I am proud of that heritage and see this latest name change away from "North Texas Exes" as one more effort to forget the past history of this institution rather than celebrate it.

Sorry for the rant, but this strikes a nerve with me.

I'll take a catchy "ripoff" over the same boring thing everybody else has (it's okay to be like everyone else except Texas, then?).

My pet peeves about this whole deal:

1) Why the phobia over being like anyone else - particularly emulating a very successful organization like the Texas Exes (we know there is nothing original out there anyway).

2) I get a little PO'd by the constant removal of any reference to "North Texas" in favor of "UNT" (don't get me wrong, I was strongly in favor of the name change back in '88). We have been some version of "North Texas" since the 1890's and that is something that EVERY Alum of this university shares, no matter what version of the institution's name they graduated under. I was an NTSU alum before I was a UNT alum (I made the old name by one year). The diploma I hang on the wall in my home office is says "North Texas State University" on it. So does my class ring. I am proud of that heritage and see this latest name change away from "North Texas Exes" as one more effort to forget the past history of this institution rather than celebrate it.

Sorry for the rant, but this strikes a nerve with me.

NTSU is part of the school's heritage, but it represents a compromised heritage. The school's first choice for it's name change back in 1960, (when it achieved University status) was UNT. We were forced to change it to NTSU, because some a-hole legislators didn't like us having a name that sounded anything like the great and glorious UT.

If you happen to own a copy of the book "The Story of North Texas" by James Rogers, the whole ugly story is on pages 348 and 349.

NTSU is part of the school's heritage, but it represents a compromised heritage. The school's first choice for it's name change back in 1960, (when it achieved University status) was UNT. We were forced to change it to NTSU, because some a-hole legislators didn't like us having a name that sounded anything like the great and glorious UT.

If you happen to own a copy of the book "The Story of North Texas" by James Rogers, the whole ugly story is on pages 348 and 349.

I love that book.

Even though NTSU was a second choice name, the others before it (NTNC, NTSNC, NTSTC, NTSC) also had the "North Texas" moniker at the start of the name. That is why I will always prefer "NT" and "North Texas" in the abbreviated form over "UNT", and definitely why I preferred "North Texas Exes" (heck, I'd even prefer "North Texas Alumni Association") over "UNTAA".

---It was possible to buy UNT window stickers when I was a student during the mid 60's. Someone jumped the gun and printed up a a bunch of them when the legislature (the house if I remember right) passed the name change to UNT but the Senate did exactly what was posted above and would not pass it and went with the name NTSU. I am sure the old Wolfe-Neu drug had them. That was the name North Texas wanted in 1961? and did not get because of some nervous UT grads. The funny thing as the baby boom hit about 3-4 years later, they were forced to create a lot of UT-Where-evers in order to have enough money to finance them (from the University-Lands Fund).

---I like the Alumni name (which I seem to remember being a former name) . It implies we are students forever or long after graduation and that graduation doesn't terminate learning as the "former students" or "ex-students" name does. .

Funny comment about tradition....... "We have Fouts"

I love that book.

Even though NTSU was a second choice name, the others before it (NTNC, NTSNC, NTSTC, NTSC) also had the "North Texas" moniker at the start of the name. That is why I will always prefer "NT" and "North Texas" in the abbreviated form over "UNT", and definitely why I preferred "North Texas Exes" (heck, I'd even prefer "North Texas Alumni Association") over "UNTAA".

Yes, every alumnus from every generation uses the name "North Texas" when talking about our beloved school. I prefer that (or NT) to just about anything.