Letter To Denia Re Nt Hotel Purchase

OldTimer

March 31, 2008

Dear Denia-Area Neighbor:

UNT is mindful of the impact that development has on surrounding neighborhoods, so I wanted to update you regarding our actions with the Radisson Hotel property along

I-35 E.

The university has terminated the land-lease agreement for the Radisson Hotel and assumed control of the property, including the hotel building. While the hotel will no longer operate under the Radisson brand, the hotel will continue to operate for the immediate future under another hotel operator selected by the university. During this transition time, UNT will be working with the hotel operator on a plan to address room and event reservations and the overall impact of this change on the hotel’s staff members.

UNT had been in discussions with the former hotel operators, Denton Hotel Associates, for some time about the future of the hotel, and the hotel was marketed for sale in 2007.

The hotel’s location at the apex of I-35 E and I-35 W makes it a signature piece of property and a visual gateway to the university. Assuming control of the property, which the university has owned since 1948, will ensure that its future use is complementary to UNT’s plans and that it will continue to be viewed as an asset to the city of Denton . Long term, having a full-service quality hotel in proximity to UNT is important to a vibrant campus life, especially when it comes to athletic, academic and cultural events; graduations; and the employment of our students.

This is an exciting opportunity for the university, and we will ensure that our neighbors are kept appropriately informed as our planning unfolds.

Sincerely,

Gretchen M. Bataille

President

University of North Texas

For what it's worth, a friend of mine who works at the Radisson said that the company that's gonna take over is called Prism.

So, is there a chance that the hotel will remain a a Radisson?

Prism Hotels and Resorts

Ranking as one of the top 25 hotel management companies in America, Prism Hotels & Resorts builds strong properties with aggressive development, management and sales strategies. Our keen understanding of the marketplace, combined with our ability to manage a property to its fullest potential, provides a best-of-class hospitality experience and a strong return on investment for our brand and investment partners.

Our recent management assignments include over 50 properties in the greater United States. Prism Hotels & Resorts includes in its portfolio, large resorts, small boutique hotels and a listing of Hilton, Doubletree, Marriott, Radisson, Sheraton, Holiday Inn and many other respected and successful brands. It is an ever-changing list with locations spread across the country.

So, is there a chance that the hotel will remain a a Radisson?

Prism Hotels and Resorts

Ranking as one of the top 25 hotel management companies in America, Prism Hotels & Resorts builds strong properties with aggressive development, management and sales strategies. Our keen understanding of the marketplace, combined with our ability to manage a property to its fullest potential, provides a best-of-class hospitality experience and a strong return on investment for our brand and investment partners.

Our recent management assignments include over 50 properties in the greater United States. Prism Hotels & Resorts includes in its portfolio, large resorts, small boutique hotels and a listing of Hilton, Doubletree, Marriott, Radisson, Sheraton, Holiday Inn and many other respected and successful brands. It is an ever-changing list with locations spread across the country.

From the way my friend made it sound, it is not going to be a Radisson anymore. She was saying that a new management company was coming in today to fire a lot of people.

In Cambridge, there is a Hotel MIT right on the MIT campus...its decorated with robots, the sheet design are math equations and it is definently one of the nicer hotels in the Boston area. There is no reason UNT couldnt do something similar celebrating the music program.

In Cambridge, there is a Hotel MIT right on the MIT campus...its decorated with robots, the sheet design are math equations and it is definently one of the nicer hotels in the Boston area. There is no reason UNT couldnt do something similar celebrating the music program.

Be careful mentioning the music program and promoting it as the face of the school on this board. Some will stone you for it.

as well they should. The music dept is only a very small portion of what NT is made of, several colleges on campus larger than the music dept.

Well aware that the music school isn't the largest...it is however the most prestigious and as such, ought to be promoted. Being proud of the music program doesn't diminish any of the other fine programs at UNT...thats like saying promoting Duke basketball would be bad for their lacrosse team...both teams are full of fine, upstanding young men...but their basketball team happens to be consistantly recognized as one of the premier programs nationally.

Oh...and within the frame work of the metaphor...I'm not saying the school of business is a bunch of rapists.

Well aware that the music school isn't the largest...it is however the most prestigious and as such, ought to be promoted. Being proud of the music program doesn't diminish any of the other fine programs at UNT...thats like saying promoting Duke basketball would be bad for their lacrosse team...both teams are full of fine, upstanding young men...but their basketball team happens to be consistantly recognized as one of the premier programs nationally.

Oh...and within the frame work of the metaphor...I'm not saying the school of business is a bunch of rapists.

Not saying the music school isn't well known but it doesn't bring the prestige to NT like some would believe. I have never talked to one person from this area that knew we had a music program. I enjoy jazz a little but I would guess that a very small percentage of people do. If you aren't into the music scene, you probably wouldn't know about our school. I'm just saying we have other depts that bring in a ton of respect and notoriety.

Edited by GreenMachine

Not saying the music school isn't well known but it doesn't bring the prestige to NT like some would believe. I have never talked to one person from this area that knew we had a music program. I enjoy jazz a little but I would guess that a very small percentage of people do. If you aren't into the music scene, you probably wouldn't know about our school. I'm just saying we have other depts that bring in a ton of respect and notoriety.

Really? interesting...because my experience has been quite the opposite: every non-music major I ever knew in Denton knew about the school. No, they weren't regular jazz fans. you probably won't catch them at Lab Band madness, but they definitely knew about the prestige. I suppose the flip side of this is I've never met a non-Business major who knew anything about their respective college (including myself...until I met a friend who majored).

I suppose it just depends on who you ask, where you are, etc...

For the rest of you, in case you didn't know: Slater and Riggs are retiring

Who is the dean of the business school?

Edited by greenminer

Really? interesting...because my experience has been quite the opposite: every non-music major I ever knew in Denton knew about the school. No, they weren't regular jazz fans. you probably won't catch them at Lab Band madness, but they definitely knew about the prestige. I suppose the flip side of this is I've never met a non-Business major who knew anything about their respective college (including myself...until I met a friend who majored).

I wasn't referring to NT students that didn't know about the music program, I was referring to people not associated with NT at all, the ones I talked to have never heard about our music program.

Who is the business schools dean? Sorry, graduated 12 years ago, wouldn't have a clue.

If there is one specific school or department that is nationally known at UNT...it is the music program. Again...this is not a slight at any other school. I'm very proud of my History degree...and while it wasn't my focus, UNT's military history professors are incredibly highly respected. Your business degree is comparable to SMU, TCU and UT...if not better in some areas. Our art program is amazing...especially considering the funding cuts it has undergone. The engineering program is thriving b/c of the north campus annex.

But when you talk music schools...North Texas can confidently be uddered in the same breathe as Julliard, New England Conservatory and Peabody...and it is something to be extremely proud of.

Finley Graves was recently appointed as the new dean of the business school (from his previous position as interim dean for the College of Business).

Here's a link.

Graves Appointed new Dean

If there is one specific school or department that is nationally known at UNT...it is the music program. Again...this is not a slight at any other school. I'm very proud of my History degree...and while it wasn't my focus, UNT's military history professors are incredibly highly respected. Your business degree is comparable to SMU, TCU and UT...if not better in some areas. Our art program is amazing...especially considering the funding cuts it has undergone. The engineering program is thriving b/c of the north campus annex.

But when you talk music schools...North Texas can confidently be uddered in the same breathe as Julliard, New England Conservatory and Peabody...and it is something to be extremely proud of.

People I've met that really don't know anything of NT do indeed know of our School of Music. People I meet in my field, advertising, know of the music school and our School of Visual Communications and the fact that it, like our school of music, rocks.