Smu To Consider Bringing Alcohol On Campus

DALLAS (CBS 11 News) ― CBS 11 has obtained a list of recommendations by a task force designed to give Southern Methodist University greater control over students who drink.

Last year, drugs and alcohol ended the lives of three SMU students. In the fall of 2007, 15 students were treated for alcohol and drug-related emergencies; many of which occurred off-campus.

The university responded by forming a substance abuse prevention task force. On Thursday, the task force handed SMU's president a 23-page proposal.

There are three key recommendations. One calls for a campus pub or bar. The second would allow fraternities to throw in-house parties, providing they hire SMU police to check IDs and professional bartenders to serve alcohol to students of legal age.

"If we keep it in a place that is enclosed, and we are able to watch everyone, then a lot of the issues that come with drinking and drugs can be stopped," said Greg Standerfer, a member of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.

As of now, frat parties are held off campus at local bars. The task force believes that an on-campus bar, along with on-campus frat parties, will give SMU more control over social events while cutting down on drunk driving.

The third key recommendation calls for medical amnesty. Students who have been drinking could call 911 or campus police if a fellow student overdoses on drugs or alcohol. Former students Cullen Carrick and Ryan were faced with that very dilemma two years ago.

Here's an idea... open a bar on campus!!!

I fail to see how these policies will prevent substance abuse. The substances should be placed in foster care where the SMOOZ will never be able to abuse them again.

Duke has a bar on campus and I am sure many other colleges do as well.

Plus, a self-contained SMU bar could prevent many of the douches from crowding up the uptown area and making the Gingerman, Old Monk and Trinity Hall unbearable at times. This is not just them, but I think we'd see a severe decline in the predatory stripe-shirt date rapist around Dallas if this came to pass.

Guest JohnDenver

UNT had a bar on campus. I think it closed the year I started there... It sat vacant for a long time afterwards. It was on the bottom (basement?) level of the Union.

UNT had a bar on campus. I think it closed the year I started there... It sat vacant for a long time afterwards. It was on the bottom (basement?) level of the Union.

Long live the Rock Bottom Lounge (aka the RBL)! Brave Combo, Schwantz Lefantz, and lots of jazz played there. It stayed open for a few years after the drinking age was raised to 21, but it was eventually closed. A couple of years ago, the neon sign was sold in a university surplus sale - I remember someone posting the link here on GMG. I hope whoever bought it is taking good care of it!

but I think we'd see a severe decline in the predatory stripe-shirt date rapist around Dallas if this came to pass.

Think how happy this will make the SMU douches. No more having to keep the girl coherent enough to walk on her own for an extended period of time. On-campus bar to frat house front door in mere minutes.