Vito

Dodge2007

It's been mentioned before, but let me remind everyone. Retractions are the Editors call, (I checked with a very reliable source on this) not the reporters. A reporter can write a follow-up story that completely exonerates and/or explains the situation, but it's the Editors call where to put it.....or even to write it at all!

As I told you before or did you ignore it, I was told directly that there would be a front page article if the allegations were found to be untrue!

And another question, why do you seem to feel as though you need to defend Vito. He's the media. He can print and say anything he likes, but with that can come consequences. Being able to run with a story, doesn't mean that the subject of your story won't hold you to it. As for future job opportunities and what that might hold - you don't know. That's the problem - no body knows. It is virtually impossible to defend yourself from a racist allegation in a technology society where nothing ever goes away.

One more thing, the quotes from Joseph Miller and Ronny Tipps were not part of the original Dallas Morning New article. That only appeared in the DRC.

As for my ability to go into a practice field area - WHO CARES! If I wasn't allowed, which happened under DD who made it clear that he didn't care for any athlete that wasn't his, then I didn't go and it didn't bother me. Like everyone else, I went the DD spring games and that was it. It was his team to what he wanted with and I was fine with that. Also, for the record I went to 1 of TDs practices for 30 minutes during 2 a days and watched the individual drills of the DBs.

BTW, I have talked with Vito and that's between me and him.

Finally, this thing has gotten way off track. The point is if TD does have problem with Vito (which I don't know if he does), then I can see why. There are enough reasons to see why.

Edited by GMoney

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure I can find many, many ways to accomplish that. Logic is just the tip of the iceberg! For example, I could join the spelling and grammar nazis here and point out that you meant to say "advice." Now hopefully you won't like me either. :D

Here's a list of other options:

1)Mention that you don't like SMU

2)Mention that you do like SMU

3)Say you think RV is doing a good job

4)Say you think RV is doing a bad job

5)Say you think the Sun Belt is a good place to stay for the time being (this one will get you tons of "hate mail")

As I told you before or did you ignore it, I was told directly that there would be a front page article if the allegations were found to be untrue!

Well, unless your conversation was with the Editor.........

"And another question, why do you seem to feel as though you need to defend Vito. He's the media. He can print and say anything he likes, but with that can come consequences. Being able to run with a story, doesn't mean that the subject of your story won't hold you to it. As for future job opportunities and what that might hold - you don't know. That's the problem - no body knows. It is virtually impossible to defend yourself from a racist allegation in a technology society where nothing ever goes away."

I defend him because I don't think he did anything wrong. Plus, this program needs all the professional respect that it can get. We get laughed at enough, and hammering a reporter for reporting news makes us look rather foolish....and petty.

As to Coach Dodge's future job opportunities. I have never heard of a coach missing out on a job opportunity because some disgruntled player made baseless allegations about him. Let's be real here, the only thing that administrators of any D-1 school care about is "can this guy win at our school?"

"One more thing, the quotes from Joseph Miller and Ronny Tipps were not part of the original Dallas Morning New article. That only appeared in the DRC."

Well, they were in the first story that popped up when I "googled" the subject matter.....as you suggested someone might do in the future.

Edited by SilverEagle

The point is if TD does have problem with Vito (which I don't know if he does), then I can see why. There are enough reasons to see why.

And, the overarching point there is, if Dodge has a problem getting along with local journalists, how would he handle the pressure of Mack Brown's job or Bob Stoops' job at a bigger school when every journalist around the country nitpicks you over every little thing?

Dodge needs to concentrate on football and quit worrying about journalists. Dope.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Here's a list of other options:

1)Mention that you don't like SMU

2)Mention that you do like SMU

3)Say you think RV is doing a good job

4)Say you think RV is doing a bad job

5)Say you think the Sun Belt is a good place to stay for the time being (this one will get you tons of "hate mail")

6)Say that you think UNT should join the WAC.

I think a lot of the stuff you read, is in his blogs. Blogs are usually more editorial than anything, they give the reporter more of an opinion. I for one don't want sunshine blown up our a$$, just because we are unt fans. Give us the sports truth, whether we like it or not.

And, the overarching point there is, if Dodge has a problem getting along with local journalists, how would he handle the pressure of Mack Brown's job or Bob Stoops' job at a bigger school when every journalist around the country nitpicks you over every little thing?

Dodge needs to concentrate on football and quit worrying about journalists. Dope.

Just curious, do we know that Dodge is worrying about journalists? If so, how do we know this?

I think a lot of the stuff you read, is in his blogs. Blogs are usually more editorial than anything, they give the reporter more of an opinion. I for one don't want sunshine blown up our a$$, just because we are unt fans. Give us the sports truth, whether we like it or not.

I don't know that anyone's asking for sunshine blown up their asses. Reality is that Vito would have an easier time reporting the ACTUAL truth if he weren't so busy editorializing. Saying that our defense stinks or that we're unlikely to get a recruit because they're visiting some other school or that we're likely to get blown out by LSU isn't really coverage, isn't really news, and isn't really reporting. It's nothing to anyone, and as I mentioned before, only mirrors about 8,000 threads here on this board. I think it's a little silly to defend his reporting by suggesting he's being a responsible journalist just giving us the truth when the very point of these criticisms is that he provides too much opinion into the pieces, and no one can really argue that. And then you have to consider that people were on here whining that it's the athletic department's fault that he's not breaking stories.

I don't know that anyone's asking for sunshine blown up their asses. Reality is that Vito would have an easier time reporting the ACTUAL truth if he weren't so busy editorializing. Saying that our defense stinks or that we're unlikely to get a recruit because they're visiting some other school or that we're likely to get blown out by LSU isn't really coverage, isn't really news, and isn't really reporting. It's nothing to anyone, and as I mentioned before, only mirrors about 8,000 threads here on this board. I think it's a little silly to defend his reporting by suggesting he's being a responsible journalist just giving us the truth when the very point of these criticisms is that he provides too much opinion into the pieces, and no one can really argue that. And then you have to consider that people were on here whining that it's the athletic department's fault that he's not breaking stories.

THEN DON'T READ IT.

Asking around Southlake, it is amazing the anger they have towards the DRC/DMN for how they handled Dodge's first season.

I think NT has a very good media relations department (look at the off-season stories we get on a national level each year.) I also think the DMN as a whole has discovered the magic of slipping opinions in blog items and now you get the T-Mac sh*t-stirrer posts in al sports categories and other guys being encouraged to do the same. The NY Times is planting Jessica simpson look-a-likes at Cowboy games. ESPN makes themselves the story daily. The Musers had a nie discussion yesterday about how played out "guarantees" hve become reporters beg until they get someone to say something on the record, then run and tell the other team what was said.

The only conclusion you can draw from this is that sports journalism is becoming entertainment reporting more than ever before. We can debate that in an entirely new thread for days. I'm happy to share my ESPN is killing the common fan rant anytime.

Three years ago, everyone complained that Vito didn't give enough of an opinion and now he has started speaking up too much? Methinks some people are worried about not having a happy mouthpiece and not the quality of his content. At the end of the day, we get a lot more information than we did 3-4 years ago. Vito and his paper's job is to continue this trend.

Asking around Southlake, it is amazing the anger they have towards the DRC/DMN for how they handled Dodge's first season.

I think NT has a very good media relations department (look at the off-season stories we get on a national level each year.) I also think the DMN as a whole has discovered the magic of slipping opinions in blog items and now you get the T-Mac sh*t-stirrer posts in al sports categories and other guys being encouraged to do the same. The NY Times is planting Jessica simpson look-a-likes at Cowboy games. ESPN makes themselves the story daily. The Musers had a nie discussion yesterday about how played out "guarantees" hve become reporters beg until they get someone to say something on the record, then run and tell the other team what was said.

The only conclusion you can draw from this is that sports journalism is becoming entertainment reporting more than ever before. We can debate that in an entirely new thread for days. I'm happy to share my ESPN is killing the common fan rant anytime.

Three years ago, everyone complained that Vito didn't give enough of an opinion and now he has started speaking up too much? Methinks some people are worried about not having a happy mouthpiece and not the quality of his content. At the end of the day, we get a lot more information than we did 3-4 years ago. Vito and his paper's job is to continue this trend.

Amen to all of this. And, especially the ESPN killing sports drill. Dodge's "fans" need to understand that UNT isn't a high school, so he isn't going to be treated like a high school hero. He's going to be treated, and judged, by his team's on the field results. Like Colorado's coach ranted last year, "It's Division I-A football, bro...if you can't hack it, go play intramurals."

If Dodge can't hack it, he should leave. UNT is basically ignored by the media, even around DFW. The Southlake folk would be apoplectic if Dodge was at a BCS school and going 2-10. The crap he'd catch from the media then would be 10 times what they think he is getting now. Look at all the success Mack Brown has had at Texas and Bob Stoops at Oklahoma and their media is constantly second guessing them and giving them crap. Do you think they care?

Additionally, those two catch a ton of national media flack. For Mack Brown, it isn't good enough to the media that his squads win 10 games a year. For Bob Stoops, the media beats him down for only being able to win Big 12 titles, but losing bowl games. He's produced six BCS bowl teams in nine seasons and the national media still bags on him.

Folks, there's heat in the kitchen. If you can't take it, get out. Todd Dodge has no idea what it's like to be under real media scrutiny as a college football coach. The coverage we draw at UNT is peanuts.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Fake Lonnie, would you please provide some Todd Dodge quotes that make you believe he can't hack it?

Or some evidence?

Otherwise, quit making stuff up.

I'm not making anything up. His patsy keeps posting that DRC should reign in Vito so that Dodge won't be mad. I'm saying to Dodge's patsy, he doesn't have any media pressure, and if he thinks he does, he should go ahead a quit now. Don't post to me. Post to Dodge's patsy. He's the one thinking the DRC will make his precious Dodge mad.

THEN DON'T READ IT.

I don't much anymore, as it's not a good source of information. With only one real beat reporter, I think that's a pretty sad fact for our university.

Now, as to guys like FLF who like to use this for their twisted agenda, here's how I see it laying out:

1) Todge shuts Vito out.

2) Vito opts to make his personal opinions known in his professional writings.

3) Vito gets even less useful information from the department, turning his normally half-decent articles into editorial drivel.

4) Vito's fans get mad that Todge is shutting him out.

5) FLF goes off about some more stuff he imagines Todge is feeling or doing that make him inadequate.

I don't care whether Vito throws out fluff or vitriole, the QUALITY of the reporting remains the same. Of course, one might be more likely to provide you with sources to actually transmit information to people, which I heard one time was the purpose of the media.

I think Vito does what he can with the info he is actually given by UNT, and sometimes I don't think that's very much. The FW Tele reporter seems to get more tidbits to me, and I also like his factual style. There is a lot of fluff in Vito's blog but some weeks there isn't much factual info out there and opinions are substituted, just like on this board.

I'm not making anything up. His patsy keeps posting that DRC should reign in Vito so that Dodge won't be mad. I'm saying to Dodge's patsy, he doesn't have any media pressure, and if he thinks he does, he should go ahead a quit now. Don't post to me. Post to Dodge's patsy. He's the one thinking the DRC will make his precious Dodge mad.

So what you're saying is that some crazy SLC Dodge fan posts a bunch of stuff and you incorrectly attribute his creepy obsessive commentary to Todd Dodge himself?

Just because a Todd Dodge backer wants Vito fired does not necessarily mean that Todd Dodge feels that way. I personally believe that Todd Dodge is the greatest thing to happen to this football program in a long time (I guess that makes me a "bootlicker"). But I personally don't have any problem with Vito. I enjoy his coverage of the team overall. While the two may have gotten irritated at one another over various matters, I don't believe for one minute that it's the all-out war that some posters are trying to make this out to be.

Guest 97and03

I think Vito does what he can with the info he is actually given by UNT, and sometimes I don't think that's very much. The FW Tele reporter seems to get more tidbits to me, and I also like his factual style. There is a lot of fluff in Vito's blog but some weeks there isn't much factual info out there and opinions are substituted, just like on this board.

Please note the bold and underlined words in your post. It is a blog. And just like every other blog in cyberspace, it is full of opinions. That is why it is a blog.

Remember to analyze news articles that appear in the DRC or DMN through a different lens than a blog that appears online. A blog is supposed to be an informal media.

The fact of the matter is, the reporter that covers UNT for 2 of the 3 major newspapers in the DFW area is Vito. So UNT Athletics needs to have a working relationship and give the man information. I am not claiming that they don't do that. I am just stating how it works.

Edited by 97and03

Please note the bold and underlined words in your post. It is a blog. And just like every other blog in cyberspace, it is full of opinions. That is why it is a blog.

Remember to analyze news articles that appear in the DRC or DMN through a different lens than a blog that appears online. A blog is supposed to be an informal media.

The fact of the matter is, the reporter that covers UNT for 2 of the 3 major newspapers in the DFW area is Vito. So UNT Athletics needs to have a working relationship and give the man information. I am not claiming that they don't do that. I am just stating how it works.

There you go again. Introducing reason and logic into the discussion. After a while, you're going to really piss some people off. B)

If T-Mac had a blog when he was here, someone would have had him killed.

Oh, I realize the blog is more open opinion rather than just statement of facts, and I appreciate him adding that online. It's the closest thing to a chat room a newspaper can do. Many times the first news is on the blog before it gets into the more formal print format. Sometimes it just seems to ramble about a subject and not really say much in four paragraphs that two sentences couldn't have also said. But I am thankful for it as I do remember the days before message boards and blogs when the only NT news was three days old and just a short official school release buried on page 9 of the Dallas paper.