Ben Bell

NCMeanGreen

I just re-watched the UNT/UT again for the 3rd time. I was curious about something, and maybe someone with more basketball knowledge than I can address my concern.

Watching Ben Bell over the course of the season (Cameron, OSU, UT...just to qualify)...it seems like he misses a good number of his shots. He especially misses his 3-point shots.

Now, I guess he is supposed to be a "passing" guard, not a shooter. Josh White defintely looks like a "shooting" guard, but would it not be nice to have two of those on the court at one time???

My first thought was that having two Josh White's on the court at one time would be awesome (kind of like having both Super Jamrio AND Patrick Cobbs). But, would that actually be of detriment to the team?

Thoughts???

it seems from what I've seen, listened to and interpreted that Johnny is trying to play Ben at the scoring guard spot...Ben showed offensive flashes in the SBC tourney and late against Memphis...and I hope that this move is just an early season expirement to see how Ben would adapt to the role at the 2 and not a season long plan. Ben should be viewed as a fourth or fifth scroing option, not your primary or even secondary and i believe thats how Johnny has tried to utilize him thus far.

Ben is a solid ball handler and distributor and an above average defender and rebounder for his size...he is definently in a shooting slump however. For most shooters, you tell them to shoot themselves out of a slump...I don't think that would be the best move for Bell...he needs to see how he scored last season: penetration and mid-range jump shots and go back to that.

Well, I don't ever remember Ben being a big time scorer. I've always seen him as good passer & defender.

He could just be in a slump, it happens. Plenty of season left to work through it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I also noticed something else. During the UT game, and when the score was 64-55, Ben threw a bad pass. I believe that 9 points is the closest we came to UT during that game.

Not to question Ben being a good passer, but it looks as if that may have been the turning point of the game, as we really had some good momentum until that bad pass.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I also noticed something else. During the UT game, and when the score was 64-55, Ben threw a bad pass. I believe that 9 points is the closest we came to UT during that game.

Not to question Ben being a good passer, but it looks as if that may have been the turning point of the game, as we really had some good momentum until that bad pass.

We committed 21 turnovers, against a press which consisted of maybe the best three guard backcourt in the country...a lot of people made bad passes.

The pass your referencing: We cut the lead to 11 and Rick Barnes called time out. During the timeout Rick put the press which UT had run to a great level of success in the first half back on. They missed, we scored to cut it to 9...they missed but were able to set up the press and Ben had it broken but sailed a pass to I believe Q...it was a key moment but credit UT's press as much as you would blame Ben's pass

Bell did show sparks of scoring at the end of last season. I doubt he will ever be a big scorer for us. He needs to to stop jacking up 3 point attempts... he drives to the basket fairly well, and can hit a mid range jump shot.... know your range... Bell displayed his senior status/skills during the UT full press. Josh White struggled mightily with it. JJ smartly (though took to damn long to adjust) shifted Ben to PG and White to Bell's spot. Bell handled the press much, much better. Basically, Bell instructed all the Mean Green players to leave and then plowed through the UT press....UT then gave up on the full court press for the most part.

I still do not understand (1) why White stopped/froze each time a UT guard approached him behind the half court line (he has to skills to dribble around anyone) and (2) why the hell Quincy hangs around back court to help during the full press. Shouldn't this be a guard with good ball handling skills??

Edited by chrisfisher