The Glass Is Half Empty

NT78

Guys, I love the chant - but my generation hates the Eagle. They just don't like to scream it because it is not our team name. Why not just make the chant "NORTH TEXAS MEAN GREEN FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!"? RV and company have worked tirelessly to correct every website, newspaper, fan, and sports writer... and I really doubt that you will ever hear that chant come from the cheer squad. Plus, it gets rid of that extra syllable and flows much better. Thoughts?

I agree.

I really didn't want to say anything... Rick and I are good friends and I know that this is just as important to him as it is for all of us. We need a unified chant so freaking badly that it is silly. It is just that you won't hear me chanting that one - because we are not the Mean Green Eagles. That was a Helwig attempt to appease both sides (fans of the "Mean Green" and older fans that prefer "Eagles") - the thing is, we aren't the Eagles anymore. We haven't been since 2001. Chanting Mean Green Eagles makes me think of Helwig headaches... and there is an extra syllable in there. It sounded great and I am 100% on board with trying to make this happen. At the NO Bowl against Memphis, I was truly pissed off that we didn't have something simple like the T-I-G-E-R-S... but lets do it with just the school name and our team name. I am tired of explaining the double mascot thing to people. North! Texas! Mean! Green! Fight! Fight! Fight!

While we are at it, can we please change out the U-N-T ... EAGLES!!!! to simply North! Texas! Mean! Green! - North Texas Mean Green, Fight! Fight! Fight! - in the fight song as well. It has the correct amount of syllables and sounds much better. Plus it would go perfect with our new unified chant. Thoughts? Or am I just pissing peeps off with this?

I agree. But I have a feeling I am in the minority. I don't care much for the Eagle name. Either way I chant with FFR because I just want us to have some unified chants badly, even if I am not 100% in favor of it.

I could think of countless high schools, colleges, and even a pro team with the Eagles mascot. However I can only think of one with the name Mean Green. Also, CBS Sportsline, during March Madness, did say the North Texas MEAN GREEN was the best nickname for a college. We are North Texas, we are different, we are MEAN GREEN.

Guys, I love the chant - but my generation hates the Eagle. They just don't like to scream it because it is not our team name. Why not just make the chant "NORTH TEXAS MEAN GREEN FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!"? RV and company have worked tirelessly to correct every website, newspaper, fan, and sports writer... and I really doubt that you will ever hear that chant come from the cheer squad. Plus, it gets rid of that extra syllable and flows much better. Thoughts?

EAGLES has two syllables just like TEXAS does. There's no difference in the two, syllable wise. The reason for the use of "GO MEAN GREEN" is because it's our official "shout out" and "EAGLES" is because along with "MEAN GREEN" it covers all of our spirit bases and least we forget that EAGLES is in our official fight song. We will always have Eagles in our name, always. That's never going away and I have absolutely no problem with it. Plus, it helps tie in with the older crowd as well. To rid our program of, or to forget EAGLES is to shit on the memory of Abner Haynes, Joe Greene, Ron Shanklin, Scott Davis, Lance White and all of the other greats who wore that mascot's name on their uniforms. Want to talk about RV and company working tirelessly to promote something? HOW ABOUT THE SON OF WORM EAGLE logo?, which is on everything including all mailings, advertisements etc.

We are the Mean Green, and we yell "GO MEAN GREEN" when we see other members of the Mean Green Nation. And we are also the Eagles and together we will chant them in unison to honor our past as well as for our future for all to hear.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I must disagree. We are still very much the Eagles.

Our mascot: Scrappy, an eagle.

Our logos, past and present: eagles, from the Flying Worm to the new Diving Eagle.

Talons, whether the student organization, the logo, or the hand symbol we hold up: it's an eagle claw.

Look at the meangreensports.com website. There is the eagle logo prominently at the top of the page, and an eagle scream plays when the home page opens.

I don't see much evidence of getting rid of the eagle. It's everywhere, and it should stay that way.

For those who have ever said anything about traditions, about building traditions, about continuing traditions: THE EAGLE IS A NORTH TEXAS TRADITION. Now some of you want to get rid of it? One of the few traditions we have?

Oh, I get it now. You just want to kill Scrappy, don't you? This is all a vast right-and-left-wing conspiracy! You won't be satisfied until you shed Scrappy's blood! You mascot murderers!

What the hell does "Keep the Fork" mean?

BTW, I am a MGC donor and a shameless promoter of Mean Green sports in my manner and dress and the fact that I highlight the positives of NT athletics to anyone I haven't already bored to death... that same can be said of many of the posters on this board.

So.... I personally don't care what a newb thinks what this board should be called.

There are serious problems with our football program. VERY serious... and not winning is just one of the problems. Our program suffers from a jaw-dropping drop from conference champions to Div-I joke. We have one of the worst stadiums at this level of football. We have a branding issue. Our fans show up in 18 shades of green. And we need a better conference in order to generate desperately needed revenue.

What the hell does "Keep the Fork" mean?

BTW, I am a MGC donor and a shameless promoter of Mean Green sports in my manner and dress and the fact that I highlight the positives of NT athletics to anyone I haven't already bored to death... that same can be said of many of the posters on this board.

So.... I personally don't care what a newb thinks what this board should be called.

There are serious problems with our football program. VERY serious... and not winning is just one of the problems. Our program suffers from a jaw-dropping drop from conference champions to Div-I joke. We have one of the worst stadiums at this level of football. We have a branding issue. Our fans show up in 18 shades of green. And we need a better conference in order to generate desperately needed revenue.

I like to think I have 3rd generation NT green in my wardrobe. Makes me "esteemed" that way.