Facts About Tonight's Game

flyeater

Down by nine (28-19), over the game's final 20 minutes:

1. Defense gave up 10 points

2. Offense scored 0 points.

3. This offense had 20 minutes to score some damn points.

4. Looks like, all things considered this season, Mendoza/defense did their jobs the last 20 minutes.

5. On MANY occasions this season, we have been as putrid on offense as we have on defense. This was one of those occasions.

Not wild about RM coming back next year, but fair is fair. As mentioned in another thread, special teams=not so hot tonight, either. You can view entire games as having games within them, and I saw that last 20 minutes as crucial to getting a third win and two-game winning streak. It was winnable. The defense bent but didn't fold.

Down by nine (28-19), over the game's final 20 minutes:

1. Defense gave up 10 points

2. Offense scored 0 points.

3. This offense had 20 minutes to score some damn points.

4. Looks like, all things considered this season, Mendoza/defense did their jobs the last 20 minutes.

5. On MANY occasions this season, we have been as putrid on offense as we have on defense. This was one of those occasions.

Not wild about RM coming back next year, but fair is fair. As mentioned in another thread, special teams=not so hot tonight, either. You can view entire games as having games within them, and I saw that last 20 minutes as crucial to getting a third win and two-game winning streak. It was winnable. The defense bent but didn't fold.

Sorry, but when you give up 38 points to the WORST offense in D1 football, your defense broke.

If you look at FIU's performance on offense, you wouldn't know that there were the worst team in the FBS.

No, we are the worst team in the FBS now. When your defense gives up 38 points to a team that averages 13 a game, you are the worst team in football. We will be #1 on the Bottom Team and it will be unbelievable if we are not #118 or #119 on every ranking chart on the net. The only reason we will not be #118 on every chart is that some of those rankings don't really pay attention to the bottom of the list.

And it has every thing to do with the DC.

No, we are the worst team in the FBS now. When your defense gives up 38 points to a team that averages 13 a game, you are the worst team in football. We will be #1 on the Bottom Team and it will be unbelievable if we are not #118 or #119 on every ranking chart on the net. The only reason we will not be #118 on every chart is that some of those rankings don't really pay attention to the bottom of the list.

And it has every thing to do with the DC.

Dodge deserves as much blame, IMO.

"lynch mob"-

you can not blame coach mendoza on all the INT's that young freshman qb vizza threw....i do like vizza and he is going to be a great qb for nt....but heck he is a true freshman....18 year old kid....

you cant blame coach mendoza on the TD runback on the kickoff......

you cant blame coach mendoza on the fumbled punt return that set up an easy TD......

you cant blame coach mendoza when our db lost sight of the fiu receiver in the endzone....td......that was our db's fault.

you cant blame coach mendoza when our lethargically slow db let the fiu reciever get behind him again for another TD.

like i have been saying just about all year......we have a good offensive line but really bad defensive backs......and.......that is where just about all the teams we have played have been attacking us.

special teams has to carry some of the blame for this loss.

our offense has to carry some of the blame for this loss with all the int's that were thrown giving fiu more opportunities to score and "less" opportunities for us to score.

face it.....when we played dickey ball for all those years we probably did not throw as many INT's as we have this year.....dickey ball was ..... run....run.....runnnnnnn........draw play......"ball control".......very little room to make mistakes........and you know what there is nothing wrong with that style of play.

face it.....we now play the "spead eagle" (i really like that term and forgot the gmg member who coined that phrase)...throw throw throw.....run......i dont know who coined the phrase that, "when you throw the ball three things can happen and two of 'em aint good."

the last time i was a brain surgeon i operated on a frog in biology class but i do know that more points are going to be scored transitioning from a run based offense to a passed based offense.....by both teams.

you "lynch mob" members are just going to have to be a bit more patient with our coaching staff and not look at the box scores and the stats.....there is more to a game than the final score......like......play of the specal team.......play of the offense......and as Jimmy the Greek said, " THE INTANGIBLES".....OK for you younger memembers go to "google search" or whatever seach engine you use to see who this guy was.

IMHO, coach mendoza along with coach TD came into a pretty horrific situation here at UNT.....give both these men along with the rest of the coaching staff, current and future players a chance to turn it around next year.....heck it may take two or three years for a program like UNT to become established.

just be patient.......this aint a situation like burger king where you can drive in and out with a burger......this is kinda like going into some restaurant and ordering a burger that cost more than 99 cents....you just have to have the patience to wait.

Love how people just look at the point total and make blanket assumptions.

To reiterate: Game was winnable in the final 20 minutes, and we lost because the offense didn't score. At this point, that FIU would eventually score 38 points by various means was damn near irrelevant. You should be able to counter 10 points in 20 minutes, PERIOD.

But I'm sure that doesn't matter. Mendoza is Satan.

Edited by flyeater

Sorry, but when you give up 38 points to the WORST offense in D1 football, your defense broke.

At best the defense gave up 31 points not mentioning bad field position they were given at times. One of the TD's for those that did not listen to the game was a LIONELL SINGLETON 84 YD KICK RETURN, that is all special teams.

Edited by KingDL1

like i have been saying just about all year......we have a good offensive line but really bad defensive backs......and.......that is where just about all the teams we have played have been attacking us.

Just curious, but does this include the ONE JUCO defensive back that TD and RM brought here who was immediately inserted into a starting roll for the first part of the season, or does he get a pass on your insulting remarks pertaining to our players since, well, you know, he's not part of the previous regime?

Rick

You forgot to mention the holding calls on offense that cost us at least 1 TD that we had crossed the goal line on, and ended 3 or 4 NT drives.

"lynch mob"-

you can not blame coach mendoza on all the INT's that young freshman qb vizza threw....i do like vizza and he is going to be a great qb for nt....but heck he is a true freshman....18 year old kid....

you cant blame coach mendoza on the TD runback on the kickoff......

you cant blame coach mendoza on the fumbled punt return that set up an easy TD......

you cant blame coach mendoza when our db lost sight of the fiu receiver in the endzone....td......that was our db's fault.

you cant blame coach mendoza when our lethargically slow db let the fiu reciever get behind him again for another TD.

special teams has to carry some of the blame for this loss.

our offense has to carry some of the blame for this loss with all the int's that were thrown giving fiu more opportunities to score and "less" opportunities for us to score.

face it.....when we played dickey ball for all those years we probably did not throw as many INT's as we have this year.....dickey ball was ..... run....run.....runnnnnnn........draw play......"ball control".......very little room to make mistakes........and you know what there is nothing wrong with that style of play.

face it.....we now play the "spead eagle" (i really like that term and forgot the gmg member who coined that phrase)...throw throw throw.....run......i dont know who coined the phrase that, "when you throw the ball three things can happen and two of 'em aint good."

the last time i was a brain surgeon i operated on a frog in biology class but i do know that more points are going to be scored transitioning from a run based offense to a passed based offense.....by both teams.

you "lynch mob" members are just going to have to be a bit more patient with our coaching staff and not look at the box scores and the stats.....there is more to a game than the final score......like......play of the specal team.......play of the offense......and as Jimmy the Greek said, " THE INTANGIBLES".....OK for you younger memembers go to "google search" or whatever seach engine you use to see who this guy was.

IMHO, coach mendoza along with coach TD came into a pretty horrific situation here at UNT.....give both these men along with the rest of the coaching staff, current and future players a chance to turn it around next year.....heck it may take two or three years for a program like UNT to become established.

just be patient.......this aint a situation like burger king where you can drive in and out with a burger......this is kinda like going into some restaurant and ordering a burger that cost more than 99 cents....you just have to have the patience to wait.

Why so pissy, you guys seem so one dimensional.

I guess we are talking about Evyn Roman who was from what I could tell "a gamble" on a Juco to help shore up or Defense. The guy makes me nervous but I am not sure what you all want. That one guy that Dodge took a risk on did not turn out to be a superstar? What?

Can we just move on, if Mendoza Sucks next year I will supply the beer and the rope. But for now give the guy a pass we had plenty of problems on all sides of the ball and off the field as well. I am now looking forward to this recruiting class.

That's an interesting statement considering you have laid the majority of your assesment of the performance of this defense on the fact that for the first five weeks there was a discipline problem with ONE player, so therefore it must have affected the entire defense to decline 52 spots in overall ranking?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

That's an interesting statement considering you have laid the majority of your assesment of the performance of this defense on the fact that for the first five weeks there was a discipline problem with ONE player, so therefore it must have affected the entire defense to decline 52 spots in overall ranking?

Rick

You know I counted three on the defense alone, that made the paper but that usually means there are still several left knowing how DD used to run the ship compared to how it run now. I heard several guys on defense from DD era showed up out of shape and so on.

1. Dominique Green

2. Desmon Chatman

3. Gary Oubre

I think you dismiss the implications of this way too easily, this kind of attitude on a unit is hard to extinguish and can be fundamentally next to impossible to correct in a season. But I expect by next season this problem should vanish.

Tony

Edited by KingDL1

I guess we are talking about Evyn Roman who was from what I could tell "a gamble" on a Juco to help shore up or Defense. The guy makes me nervous but I am not sure what you all want. That one guy that Dodge took a risk on did not turn out to be a superstar? What?

Can we just move on, if Mendoza Sucks next year I will supply the beer and the rope. But for now give the guy a pass we had plenty of problems on all sides of the ball and off the field as well. I am now looking forward to this recruiting class.

And why could this not have been seen during practice? It was obvious from the beginning, the guy was way in over his head. He's got heart, just not the same physical abilities possessed by a division 1 cornerback.

And why could this not have been seen during practice? It was obvious from the beginning, the guy was way in over his head. He's got heart, just not the same physical abilities possessed by a division 1 cornerback.

I don't think we had anyone better.

Edited by KingDL1

C'mon now, King, you don't even believe that.

You've watched this team as long as the rest of us and know the corners from last year showed much more physical ability than this guy.

At times our corners seemed very slow, and had to play way off. Roman seemed to have speed at times but he was not big enough.

As I said I don't think the answer is as simple as Mendoza, I think we had a plethora of problems on the team.

You know I counted three on the defense alone, that made the paper but that usually means there are still several left knowing how DD used to run the ship compared to how it run now. I heard several guys on defense from DD era showed up out of shape and so on.

1. Dominique Green

2. Desmon Chatman

3. Gary Oubre

I think you dismiss the implications of this way too easily, this kind of attitude on a unit is hard to extinguish and can be fundamentally next to impossible to correct in a season. But I expect by next season this problem should vanish.

Tony

Chatman and Oubre both were gone by the third week of the season, I believe Oubre left after the OU game. I find it hard to believe that one guy who seemed to have very little following could have affected our defense to drop 52 places.

Rick

Chatman and Oubre both were gone by the third week of the season, I believe Oubre left after the OU game. I find it hard to believe that one guy who seemed to have very little following could have affected our defense to drop 52 places.

Rick

Surely Rick you don't think it is simple as that, these were the extreme cases. Odds are that there were plenty of players at different levels of dissatisfaction with having to suddenly meet new rules of discipline. I have seen these kind of problems even in the work place they are hard to root and take time to fix. Your explanation of it being just one person is just naive.

Tony