Game Observations

NT03

Along with the other Youtube examples I've posted above Smitty, your exactly right on with the 7 beat JETS chant as well. And here's a fine example of fireman Ed leading the way:

And another,

And another

And yet another,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bALnNMsa82Y&feature=related

This is exactly what I've been trying to pull off for 5 years now dating back to the N.O. Bowl when we had the signs printed up and gave to the cheerleaders to no avail. Just a 7 beat chant. Easily signalled and started, quick, easy and over with to do again at any moments need.

Why can't we do this? Why?

Rick

Those are so awesome. I love that echoing around the Meadowlands. So simple. So effective. So emphatic.

So why can't we? No idea. It worked back in the Super Pit glory days. Everybody chanted "Welcome to the Pit" when the opponent was on its heels and called timeout. Everyone knew it, everyone did it. Maybe UNT fans just won't do it until the teams are winning - the same old, tired-ass excuse for not attending.

But whatever the chant is, it's got to be uber-simple. People are not going to learn something that is not simple. Something like the E-A-G-L-E-S, J-E-T-S, and that crazy Australian chant AUSSIE-AUSSIE-AUSSIE! Everyone participates at once, not half the stadium, then the other half. Everyone at once is much louder, much simpler.

Maybe we should just copy the Philadelphia Eagles' E-A-G-L-E-S-EAGLES chant. Why not? Hell, either they or the Jets stole the idea from the other. If we steal from the NFL, at least we're stealing from the top of the food chain. Can you imagine both sides of the Super Pit or Fouts spelling that out in unison?

Here's an idea: maybe GMG and the Pit Crew can get this going. It occurs to me that this has to be a groundswell effort, that it can't come from the athletic department or the cheerleaders.

At the next football game, we need to get at least 100 people, organized through GMG, to agree to do the chant. Hopefully get 100 on the alumn in the middle sections, to make a bigger noise impact. At the game, talk to those around you, explain what we're doing, ask them to join in. We actually schedule the first chant, between the first and second quarters. Maybe you, FFR, with your easy to spot helmet, can be our Fireman Ed and lead it. Stand up, hold up your arms, then we start: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! Then repeat it a couple of times. Do it a few more times during the game, during timeouts and especially at the start of the fourth quarter.

Get the Pit Crew on board. I'll bet they would run with it at the basketball games, since they're already densely packed in their corner. It would really be impressive in the Pit. They do it all season and maybe it will spread from there.

That way there is one chant - and only one - to learn. One chant for football, basketball, softball, soccer, whatever.

Edited by Smitty

Don't know what they are saying but it's pretty cool because one dude is leading the entire arena.

Rick

If the pit crew could get a chant like that going I would like to hear at the beginning of the game and at other opportune times.

Leader: Are we not UNT

Crowd: Yes we are UNT

Leader: Is this not the Super Pit

Crowd: Yes this is the Super Pit

Leader: Is this not our home court

Crowd: Yes this is our home court

All: UNT, Super Pit, our Home court Defend it!

If the pit crew could get a chant like that going I would like to hear at the beginning of the game and at other opportune times.

Leader: Are we not UNT

Crowd: Yes we are UNT

Leader: Is this not the Super Pit

Crowd: Yes this is the Super Pit

Leader: Is this not our home court

Crowd: Yes this is our home court

All: UNT, Super Pit, our Home court Defend it!

I like it. But I love the pointing at the other team and our team stuff too as it helps it end in a frenzy.

Rick

The cheer Ohio took...and we're trying to copy is most definitely UCLA's "frisbee cheer". They've been doing it for a long time in Westwood. I'd prefer not to copy it and use our own.

We DID try and bring "Welcome to the Pit" back last night with limited results.

UCLA Frisbee cheer.

ESPN even used part of it for College Gameday commercials last year.

The cheer Ohio took...and we're trying to copy is most definitely UCLA's "frisbee cheer". They've been doing it for a long time in Westwood. I'd prefer not to copy it and use our own.

We DID try and bring "Welcome to the Pit" back last night with limited results.

UCLA Frisbee cheer.

ESPN even used part of it for College Gameday commercials last year.

A congrats to Coach Johnny Jones and the Mean Green team for their efforts last night. Listened to the game and it brought back some very nostalgic memories of decades gone by when I lived in (or closer to) Denton and you couldn't keep me out of of the Super Pit.

A long time GMG.com documented supporter (when I've posted on this part of the forum) of Coach Jones and I've never listened to a post game show of his via the MGRN that ever made me feel bad be be an NT alum or NT fan. His million dollar smile and his postive'ness got me at hello a long time ago. Guess I need to catch the MG basketball fever again (and move 2 counties closer to Denton wouldn't hurt)? Pardon me while I take my Geritol now. :rolleyes::)

WELCOME TO THE PIT! Had forgotten that one, CMJ, and didn't we (beginning with myself & your father's era I should clarify, that is those of us who were at our fabulous venue's Grand Opening) all used to do that yell with such high decibals; especially another special night (such as last night) when SMU came to the Super Pit and we had 10,700 fans spilling out everywhere hollering WELCOME TO THE PIT! Perhaps those days not far behind once again?

CONGRATS COACH JONES & YOUR MEAN GREEN BASKETBALL TEAM!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Rick, I've always thought we could do a chant along the lines of ...

NORTH (side 1)

TEXAS (side 2)

MEAN (side 1)

GREEN (side 2)

repeat 3 times

GO! FIGHT! WIN! (everyone)

I think it be great to even do this after the fight song has been played (without repeating NORTH TEXAS MEAN GREEN 3 times).

I really like these chants. They are quick and to the point and don't conflict with anyone. Spread the word.

"Welcome to the Pit"

Emmitt, Zeke, and I had some of the older alums who remembered it following on Wednesday. Sadly I won't be at anymore games this season unless some sort of financial windfall allows another trip/week off from work - but that was something that was ours. Not some remodeled tradition, like ones everyone complains about ad naseum. It was ours. It can rekindle.

Edited by CMJ

Don't know what they are saying but it's pretty cool because one dude is leading the entire arena.

Rick

THAT is awesome. Getting everyone involved in a chant that has some sort of motion/hand sign.

...and I think it's just the student section. But still...freakin' cool

Edited by greenminer

Leader: Is that not the scoreboard?

Crowd: Yes it is the scoreboard!

Leader: Is that not a ##?

Crowd: Yes it is a ##!

Leader: Is that not a ##?

Crowd: Yes it is a ##!

Leader: Is that not the winning team? <pointing at winning team>

Crowd: Yes it is the winning team! <pointing at winning team>

Leader: Is that not the losing team? <pointing at losing team>

Crowd: Yes it is the losing team! <pointing at losing team>

Crowd: Winning Team! Losing Team! <pointing at respective teams[>/i]

Crowd: Winning Team! Losing Team!

Crowd: Winning Team! Losing Team!

I would only use this chant when you have a healthy lead and roughly one or two minutes remaining. I only say this because the visiting team can easily get back in a game if the home team falls asleep at the wheel and I'd hate to have to eat some crow if the other team wins after doing that chant. Still, I think it would be very intimidating to have the entire student section pointing at my like that if I were on the visiting bench. Could you imagine a couple sections of students doing that at the pit? This could get the entire crowd fired up and on its feet at the end of a game and really blow the lid of of the Pit.

Edited by UNTFan23

Personally, I don't like it at all. The re-arranged Ohio cadence, with much more rhythmic drive and consistency, has a better "wow" effect.

drawing out the "loooooosing" part of losing team makes it lame haha.

UCLA was first I believe(though I can't find any sort of evidence either way). They've been doing the frisbee cheer since Wooden's era if not longer according to Bruin faithful I know. With something that seems that particular to a school(especially with the winning tradition they have) it seems sort of bush league for Ohio or anyone else to try and copy it.

Then again UCLA's fight song "The Sons of Westwood" is a slightly jazzier version of Cal's "The Big C" - so I guess they had no issue copying someone else. :lol:

UCLA was first I believe(though I can't find any sort of evidence either way). They've been doing the frisbee cheer since Wooden's era if not longer according to Bruin faithful I know. With something that seems that particular to a school(especially with the winning tradition they have) it seems sort of bush league for Ohio or anyone else to try and copy it.

Then again UCLA's fight song "The Sons of Westwood" is a slightly jazzier version of Cal's "The Big C" - so I guess they had no issue copying someone else. :lol:

Totally agree. While I stand by what I said, that I think Ohio's is a better arrangement, I'd prefer to find something more unique that can't be linked to some other school. There's something to be said about having something to call your own.

Having said that, it's so rare to find something "new under the sun". Programs across the country are imitating what the old programs have done for years. I see imitations of Duke's student section chants and hops every where, and I saw the foul-out "left-right-left-right-SIT-DOWN" chant for the first time years ago at UTEP and thought it was SO COOL cuz it "was our own". But how did it make its way to UNT for the OSU game? I'm not so sure anymore where it originated.

...but they work, and they're fun.

Edited by greenminer

I was rewatching the game this morning on ESPN360. The OSU announcers called the Super Pit a "Snake Pit." I think I remember reading someone saying that use to be the name of our old b-ball facility... is this correct? Pretty cool comment...

I was rewatching the game this morning on ESPN360. The OSU announcers called the Super Pit a "Snake Pit." I think I remember reading someone saying that use to be the name of our old b-ball facility... is this correct? Pretty cool comment...

Yeah, the old gym was known as "the Snake Pit". A coach called it that, and we wore it as a badge of honor afterwards.

Edited by CMJ

The Men's gym is where the BBall team used to play and was nicknamed the Snake Pit, where the crowd was extremely raucous, which "rattled" teams at times.