Defensive Woes Nullify Offenses

FirefightnRick

http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sport...ory/299878.html

Defensive woes nullify offense

By TROY PHILLIPS

Star-Telegram staff writer

AP/Matt Slocum

North Texas wide receiver Casey Fitzgerald stretches for one of his school-record five touchdown receptions Saturday. Fitzgerald finished with 13 receptions for 134 yards. DENTON -- Lost somewhere in all the statistical insanity of North Texas vs. Navy, the same immutable truth reared itself on Jeremiah Chapman's face.

Nine games into the season, UNT is really not very good on defense.

"Place the blame on us," said Chapman, a senior defensive end. "We didn't do our job."

That Navy's offense operates out of the antiquated triple-option could partly mitigate giving up 680 total yards, second-most by a UNT opponent this season.

But when you score 62 points, you should win.

UNT (1-8) nearly put a sobering end to Navy's Notre Dame hangover but got stops on just two of the Midshipmen's first 12 drives. Navy (6-4) used its signature rushing game to become bowl eligible, winning 74-62 before a season-high 26,012 at Fouts Field.

The 13th and last Navy drive ended 10 yards from UNT's end zone when it took a knee.

"Really, I don't have a lot of answers," UNT coach Todd Dodge said of a defense that cratered after holding Navy to a 22-yard field goal on its first drive. "Their fullbacks really started to lean on us."

Navy, the nation's leading rusher, ripped of 10.2 yards per carry, scored eight rushing touchdowns and added a 41-yard scoring pass to pull within 21-10.

Navy's defense didn't exactly sparkle, putting UNT quarterback Giovanni Vizza unofficially in the NCAA record book. Vizza threw eight touchdown passes, an all-time UNT game record and the most by an NCAA Division I-A/Bowl Subdivision freshman.

Vizza (40-for-50, 478 yards, two interceptions) and his receiving corps went toe-to-toe with Navy's offense in the first half. The teams scored a combined 63 points in the second quarter -- another NCAA mark -- and UNT led 49-45 at intermission.

UNT gave itself an early cushion thanks to a first-quarter onside kick. Kicker Truman Spencer made the recovery, and receiver Korey Washington slipped three tackles for a 36-yard score to give UNT a 14-0 lead.

UNT made it 28-10 on Casey Fitzgerald's third touchdown catch (he had a UNT-record five). From there, the teams traded touchdowns seven times.

The telling Navy drive came at end of the first half, after UNT's second punt. With 24 seconds to play, Navy quarterback Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada completed a 47-yard pass to the UNT 3. Navy pulled within four on the ensuing score.

"They changed some stuff on us in the second half, and we just couldn't get rolling on offense like we were," Vizza said. "As far as all the big numbers, tonight it was more pass or fail. We didn't get the win."

Vizza threw one touchdown and two interceptions in the second half, one tipped by a Navy lineman.

Down 65-56 with 8:16 to play, UNT was called for holding in its end zone, giving Navy a safety and a 67-56 lead. Navy's Reggie Campbell then ran back the free kick 73 yards for 74-56.

"That was the backbreaker," Dodge said of the safety, questioning why more holding calls weren't called.

Asked if he would make defensive coordinator Ron Mendoza available for interviews, Dodge declined.

Breakdown

Why Navy won: The Midshipmen rolled up nearly 600 rushing yards and overcame their own defensive woes.

Why UNT lost: A complete inability to contain Navy's triple option and some late offensive miscues sunk UNT.

Notable

UNT receiver Sam Dibrell had six catches and a touchdown in his first career start.

Receiver Casey Fitzgerald moved into second place in three single-season UNT categories: yards (1,126), catches (85) and receiving touchdowns (12).

Up next: UNT at Arkansas State, 6 p.m. Thursday; Northern Illinois at Navy, 2:30 p.m. Saturday

NAVY 74, NORTH TEXAS 62

tphillips@star-telegram.com

Troy Phillips, 817-390-7760

Well...that's what college coaches are paid to do. At least, at a vast majority of schools that's what they're paid to do.

Exactly. I just happened to be watching Navy Linebacker Ram Vila on the play he got the first interception right before the snap. He snuck up outside the right defensive end, showed blitz then read the play on the snap and sprinted back to the outside flat and made a great leap for the interception. Navy wasn't doing that early on. I thought right there, "They've figured it out".

Rick

Exactly. I just happened to be watching Navy Linebacker Ram Vila on the play he got the first interception right before the snap. He snuck up outside the right defensive end, showed blitz then read the play on the snap and sprinted back to the outside flat and made a great leap for the interception. Navy wasn't doing that early on. I thought right there, "They've figured it out".

Rick

You know what, I was playing out in the backyard with my son yesterday and listening to the game of the radio. When Navy pulled to within four just before half, I thought, 'It's only a matter of time before they pull ahead and win this thing. Their coaches will figure something out at halftime.'

Vizza backed me up on this after the game. Although, he didn't really need to. The pattern began when FAU did it, and Howard Schnellenberger commented about the halftime adjustments they made. It's been happening all season. Others adjust, we don't.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But, all I could do is shake my head at all the long runs being made against a defense made up of so many upperclassmen. Guys don't just forget how to play football three or four years into their college careers.

I feel sorry for our defensive guys. From being put into man coverage against OU to having their own fans now say that they aren't good players since Todd Dodge didn't recruit them...it's just a shame. Their coaches don't know what to do with them, and their own fans insult them. All season long, barring two quarters versus LA-Monroe, it's been nothing but frustration for those guys.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

We were unsound. We didn't give the kids a chance. After hearing our game plan I knew we were sunk by the Navy.

I have 3 games left as a Dad. I will be a Mean Green fan forever. I hope Coach Dodge has the courage to make changes that need to be made.

Your son and all those young men should be proud. Tough loss, but they play hard, even to the end - I never see any quit in this team.

Dodge WILL do the right thing. I'm sure of it.

I agree with you, but most on the board thinks silence means he's sticking around...

Why? There's no clear indication of that. It appears RM isn't trusted to speak publicly for himself or his defense (he lets his players do that). It smacks much more of a temporary situation than anything else. The DC is an accountable coaching position on a college team, subject to public scrutiny. That this one isn't tells me he's either headed out, or will be assigned to something less essential.

BTW, because you apparently speak for "most on the board," am I supposed to alter my opinion? What's with that?

Rick

Yeah we saw the exact same thing - just out of luck we were watching that same linebacker getting the read on Vizza. I really love to watch Vizza play, but we thought he's got to do a little better job of "looking off" his receivers at times. Some plays you can read him like a book because his head will follow his first intended receiver. Its rookie stuff that he'll learn.

And is it just me, but at times when Vizza lets go of that ball, it feels like there's helium in the thing? They just FLOAT forever. Needs to really learn to put some zip-fire on that ball.

trud1966...Vizza does have zip on the ball. I don't know what game you're watching, but he's got a hose. I will agree on looking off and going through progressions. You're right, he will learn that over time. I'll say that he's come a long way since day 1, and Coach Dodge was right when he said "He (Giovanni) would have been our guy if we had all year to recruit".

Yeah we saw the exact same thing - just out of luck we were watching that same linebacker getting the read on Vizza. I really love to watch Vizza play, but we thought he's got to do a little better job of "looking off" his receivers at times. Some plays you can read him like a book because his head will follow his first intended receiver. Its rookie stuff that he'll learn.

And is it just me, but at times when Vizza lets go of that ball, it feels like there's helium in the thing? They just FLOAT forever. Needs to really learn to put some zip-fire on that ball.

Agree, partly. He has thrown a lot of picks (15), but you can really see this kid get better before your eyes. As far as floating passes, it can't be too bad when you go 40-for-50. He didn't have any problems zipping it over to Casey and Korey, and the long one to Sam was a sweet bomb. Navy's pick near the home side, yeah, that was a duck.

Edited by flyeater

Does it bother anyone else that, according to Vito's story, Dodge refused to bring Mendoza out, but they will make players face the press and have to take the blame? :angry:

Yes, that is very bothersome.

I am concerned that the offense has adopted and grown and improved under the new coaches and new system, but the defense has not. I'm sure the players deserve some blame, but the coaches certainly deserve a significant share of blame. It's just hard to escape that conclusion.

However, considering that both Coach Dodge and RV have their careers and futures riding on the ultimaste success of this football team, I'm confident that they will do what needs to be done to fix the problem this off-season. I won't begin to conjecture as to what the repairs involve.