Our Bench Is Deeeeeeeep

chrisfisher

Let me rain on the Josh White parade a little bit.

But first the positives. White is in the Weasel Johnson class in quickness. Johnson was likely the flashiest guard that we've ever had. He is lightning out there and should give opposing defenses fits. He has excellent ball control and is better than average offensively, especially for a point guard. He may eventually be all-conference in a league of good guards.

Now for the negatives. White had ZERO assists against Cameron. That seems unconscionable for a point guard. Josh Howerton had three in ten less minutes. He also had no steals. I expected him to excel in both and he may with a little more experience. His only hustle stat was one rebound and that was offset by a turnover.

Quincy and Wooden played limited minutes.... Once they are rotated in Josh will have 2 big guys under the hoop to increase his assist stats. They rarely went to Howerton and it was mostly guards playing catch and shoot.

I vividly remember 1 very nice assist (for a layup) I quess the stat guy was tired from the football game.

He is not Weasel Johnson quick but has the poise of a senior. In a game in which the team scored at will, there was not many opportunities to even run plays. Everybody had mismatches (the guards either went one on one to get their shots or the big men pounded the ball closer to the goal before their shot attempt. (those don't count) The team was also did a good job of scoring on tip in on missed shots.

White averaged 7 assists and 4 steals a game in HS. We'll know more about this kid in the next two games.

Josh White makes good, accurate high percentage passes. He avoids what coach Jones has called "home run" passes. To my eyes he is a very quick true point guard who just happens to be a deadly shooter.

Here is a very interesting story about the subjectivity involved in assist statistics: Link

It seems that we are all very high on the new recruits. We saw them dominate in our opening 2 games against powder-puff competition. We have not seen how they perform under adversity and real game time competition. I look forward to seeing just how good our new recruits (and of course, veteran players) are against legitimate competition in Oklahoma State. I sure hope we win this one.

Josh White makes good, accurate high percentage passes. He avoids what coach Jones has called "home run" passes. To my eyes he is a very quick true point guard who just happens to be a deadly shooter.

Here is a very interesting story about the subjectivity involved in assist statistics: Link

To be honest...that is exactly what I want out of my point guard. The "home run" passes are overrated, and often times lead to very untimely turnovers. I like what I've seen out of Josh so far this year. He's definitely a keeper. Imagine having this guy for 4 years. Man that is refreshing to say.