A Few Good Things So Far

Evan

The Good:

7 Turnovers for our defense.

The turnover Ratio was 2 to 7 in our favor.

Gio is tough as nails.

Our O-Line can only get better.

Gio only had one pick in 37 attempts, and that was when he got hit.

No kicks were blocked.

We had the advantage in time of possesion.

The Good:

Gio is tough as nails.

No kicks were blocked.

I really don't see how anyone can argue that this team is not getting better. Sure we all would have liked more at this point of the season, but we need to have patience.

Though the title of this thread is 'a few good things so far', I'll give my opinion 'a few good things from yesterday' with the negatives in parenthesis.

1) I believe if we had completed the double pass on the first series the game would have gone differently.

2) We created 7 turnovers (but didn't capitalize on them).

3) Craig Robertson is becoming force for us on the outside. His best football is still ahead of him too (Derek Mendoza is slow and it really shows, I'm not discounting him as he plays extremely hard, and any coach would love to have him, however, I am discounting his footspeed...it really stands out as a weak spot).

4) Edrick Gilmore continues to impress, along with Miller and Stephenson (not counting Chapman as he must have lined up offsides 3 or 4 times...which is bad)

5) Giovanni played very well considering the pounding he was taking (Wish they'd let those offensive linemen stand back there and catch a snap with 4-7 guys running fullspeed and unblocked at them...maybe that'd teach them...our offensive line was embarrassing yesterday). He delivered the ball pretty well, and helped sustain some drives, and had the announcers very impressed with him again this week.

6) Evyn Roman flashed some serious athleticism on the punt return where he spun out of a tackle (we've been waiting on that all year).

7) We did a good job against Hougabook I thought. He put some balls in great spots, and their receivers were athletic enough to get them.

8) We are making strides each week. I like how the team is still playing hard and 'working the plan'.

The Good:

Gio is tough as nails.

No kicks were blocked.

THANK YOU.

I'm also starting to think we need a "if you have nothing productive to say, then don't say it" rule on this board. Criticism is fine, that's productive, but the opening of this thread and a good number of "sky is falling" or "this team sucks" posts need to GTFO. This is a fan board. If you want to rip the program apart and not offer something good, productive, or somehow constructive to say, say it somewhere else.

THANK YOU.

I'm also starting to think we need a "if you have nothing productive to say, then don't say it" rule on this board. Criticism is fine, that's productive, but the opening of this thread and a good number of "sky is falling" or "this team sucks" posts need to GTFO. This is a fan board. If you want to rip the program apart and not offer something good, productive, or somehow constructive to say, say it somewhere else.

Which is exactly why we can say what we need to say as long as it does not attack players or other members. Sorry but not everything is going to be happy go lucky and positive as so many want to believe. The negative will fall off once the team shows that the future is bright b/c right now the future is hard to get up for when you get smacked around week after week.

You know when I opened this thread, it was at the end of the first quarter against Troy. I had a few things I was going to add, to keep it light, but I thought that it was too early and didn't really pay attention to what I had typed, hence the "hta" instead of "that" in the subtitle...I half heartedly sent the post through, and at the time it seemed pretty funny, because at that point in the game, it was early and nothing seemed to be going our way. I then saw it as a post that a few people were filling in to bring up positives , then it derailed again and I hoped and thought it would drop off and be forgotten, boy was I wrong.

I now regret the post because it would have made more sense in the chat room, but it looks like this is what I felt about the program, untrue. It was just how things were looking at one point during the game, compounded with missing the first half with a crappy web feed.

The bottom line is, that there is quite a few things positive for the program right now, but they don't always make being a fan week end and week out any easier. Just listening to George and Hank, you realize how hard it is to stay positive all the time, even they struggle.

The team needs support, and I'm hoping that this weeks game will have another good crowd. We seem to have gotten over the hump as far as a dedicated following, and even when we have a bad year the fans still turn out in decent numbers regardless of the record. In pre bowl game years we would see less than 10,000 easy. It looks like those days are gone, and I thinks it's great.

We have a little less than half the season left and chances are there there will still be some letdowns, but most people see the potential and it looks good.

But for those you you that think the sky is falling or the opposite, that things couldn't be better........lighten up...... :)

5) Giovanni played very well considering the pounding he was taking (Wish they'd let those offensive linemen stand back there and catch a snap with 4-7 guys running fullspeed and unblocked at them...maybe that'd teach them...our offensive line was embarrassing yesterday).

I imagine he now knows how DM felt in '05 after such beatings against Tulsa, K State, La Tech and LSU, as well as in '06. But at least for Gio's sake, he's not suffering with an incomplete shoulder that's still healing from surgery like DM did in '05, and hopefully he never does.

Rick