Game Thread: N T @ Troy

UNTFan23

This is what we've come to -- making excuses for being steamrolled by Sun Belt teams? North Texas fans already have the lowest expectations in the Bowl Playoff Subdivision when it comes to out-of-conference games. If we start to accept this kind of loss within the Belt, which is still the worst conference in the subdivision, we're doomed.

I think you're being a bit ridiculous here. You act like we got pounded by FIU. I'll remember that Troy is "just a sunbelt team" when they give Georgia all they can handle in a couple of weeks.

Remember, Boise State and Hawaii are "just WAC teams".

If we get pounded over the next couple years by FIU, stAte, ULM, ULL and so on, then go ahead and whine about it. Now is not the time. Do you throw your kid out there for teeball and then criticize him for sucking? No, you give him time to get used to the game and increase his talent level. Give TD time to get used to the college game and get a higher talent level in here.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that SMU offense IS prolific, don't you think? 270 yards last year compared to 534 this year, same with Troy last year to this? And that was when this years defensive personell were just trying to get there considering this year we haven't quite arrived just yet?

Tony, since you know where we are trying to go. How about a rundown on who replaces the 9 or so veteran seniors from the defensive side of the ball including the 5 that started yesterday?

Rick

You know Rick, it seems that we knocked Justin Willis out of that game, and Tulsa was Ranked 77th in total offense last year and this year they are ranked 14th, I kind of believe there is a difference. Not to say we are good this year but we were not that good last year. Combined with a new staff, new system, players quiting, returning players showing up to fall practice out of shape and so on. I don't think they are quite as bad as some would like to make out.

Yes we are in the process of building our team from the ground up, that means the coaches will have to get continually better also, the following recruiting classes will progressively rank higher and higher as we become a Mid-Major. From there one day a BCS Conference and a then maybe a run on a National Championship. We have some good guys we need some monsters, I think we will get them.

Edited by KingDL1

You know Rick, it seems that we knocked Justin Willis out of that game, and Tulsa was Ranked 77th in total offense last year and this year they are ranked 14th, I kind of believe there is a difference. Not to say we are good this year but we were not that good last year. Combined with a new staff, new system, players quiting, returning players showing up to fall practice out of shape and so on. I don't think they are quite as bad as some would like to make out.

Yes we are in the process of building our team from the ground up, that means the coaches will have to get continually better also, the following recruiting classes will progressively rank higher and higher as we become a Mid-Major. From there one day a BCS Conference and a then maybe a run on a National Championship. We have some good guys we need some monsters, I think we will get them.

Good point about Tulsa, not Troy, last year during that so called easier schedule you mentioned that we played. Tulsa had the 24th overall ranked offense last year, averaging 388 yards and 27.6 points a game. We played them there in Tulsa, and although last years defense, or again, is that this year's defense minus Pruitt and Nwigwe?, did give up 401 yards to them and just over their average(27.69) at 28 I thought the defense did a good job keeping us in the game only going in at halftime 7-3. And as you will recall, Tulsa scored their final TD that night after recovering a North Texas fumble on the NT 8 yard line at the 9 minute mark of the 4th quarter. Overall, drivewise, our defense held them in check and to only 21 earned points for the game, which if that had held up would have been Tulsa's second lowest score of the season, next to Southern Miss holding them to 20 in a Golden Eagle loss. Tulsa finshed the regular season 8-4 and lost to Utah in the fort worth bowl.

The Seniors on defense that we must replace. Feel free to fill in if I miss anyone:

Jeremiah Chapman: Replaced by Owusu-Heming

Blake Burrus: Gilmore and Davenport

Derek Mendoza: Possibly where Robertson starts next season at Mike

Maurice Holman: Mahan

Brandon Monroe: A.J. Penson

Aaron Weathers, Roderick Cotton and Cliff Higgs at Safety: Steve Warren, and maybe Chris Neal? I'm certain I'm missing more than these two who could step in to start?

Gilmore and Robertson have already recieved starts so that leaves only about half of the new starters with a learning curve next season.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Good point about Tulsa, not Troy, last year during that so called easier schedule you mentioned that we played. Tulsa had the 24th overall ranked offense last year, averaging 388 yards and 27.6 points a game. We played them there in Tulsa, and although last years defense, or again, is that this year's defense minus Pruitt and Nwigwe?, did give up 401 yards to them and just over their average(27.69) at 28 I thought the defense did a good job keeping us in the game only going in at halftime 7-3. And as you will recall, Tulsa scored their final TD that night after recovering a North Texas fumble on the NT 8 yard line at the 9 minute mark of the 4th quarter. Overall, drivewise, our defense held them in check and to only 21 earned points for the game, which if that had held up would have been Tulsa's second lowest score of the season, next to Southern Miss holding them to 20 in a Golden Eagle loss. Tulsa finshed the regular season 8-4 and lost to Utah in the fort worth bowl.

The Seniors on defense that we must replace. Feel free to fill in if I miss anyone:

Jeremiah Chapman: Replaced by Owusu-Heming

Blake Burrus: Gilmore and Davenport

Derek Mendoza: Possibly where Robertson starts next season at Mike

Maurice Holman: Mahan

Brandon Monroe: A.J. Penson

Aaron Weathers, Roderick Cotton and Cliff Higgs at Safety: Steve Warren, and maybe Chris Neal? I'm certain I'm missing more than these two who could step in to start?

Gilmore and Robertson have already recieved starts so that leaves only about half of the new starters with a learning curve next season.

Rick

Sorry for the typo but it was Troy ranked 77th last year.

I don't remember how many yards we gave up against Tulsa last year, that is what total offense is based on, the only good news about Tulsa is that we don't play them this year because at the moment they are ranked 3rd in the nation in total offense.

As far as an easier schedule last year based on total offenses we have faced that is a fact. In fact it is quite a bit difference. Look I am just trying to show it is a 64th ranked defense from last year that people go on about is not as simple as it seems, we have not played anyone below last years average of 75 as far as total team offense is concerned. Monroe has been the closest at 73. I am not arguing that we don't need to fill some spots next year or that we need to improve our play and our coaching I just see plenty of hope for the future, I see a coaching staff that lives with the idea that you need to get better everyday. I have faith in Dodge that our recruiting classes are going to be strong each year. I expect good things in the future, is that too Rosy?

Edited by KingDL1

I think you're being a bit ridiculous here. You act like we got pounded by FIU. I'll remember that Troy is "just a sunbelt team" when they give Georgia all they can handle in a couple of weeks.

I don't see Troy going into Georgia this year and doing any better than it did in Little Rock or Gainesville. It's a good Sun Belt team, but they will be facing a good SEC team in its house.

If we get pounded over the next couple years by FIU, stAte, ULM, ULL and so on, then go ahead and whine about it. Now is not the time. Do you throw your kid out there for teeball and then criticize him for sucking? No, you give him time to get used to the game and increase his talent level. Give TD time to get used to the college game and get a higher talent level in here.

So North Texas is a tee ball team? That explains the everybody-gets-a-trophy mentality so many UNT fans are exhibiting this weekend. Sheesh. Let's all close our eyes and pretend that winning in the future means pretending really, really hard that the present season isn't a disaster.

So North Texas is a tee ball team? That explains the everybody-gets-a-trophy mentality so many UNT fans are exhibiting this weekend. Sheesh. Let's all close our eyes and pretend that winning in the future means pretending really, really hard that the present season isn't a disaster.

Apparently you missed metaphor day in English class. This team and coaching staff is in its infancy just like a young child's athletic ability playing his first sport.

I don't see Troy going into Georgia this year and doing any better than it did in Little Rock or Gainesville. It's a good Sun Belt team, but they will be facing a good SEC team in its house.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Troy host the team currently tied for 1st in the Big XII South and hammer them?