What Main Positive Did You See In

PlummMeanGreen

In our 1'st win in the DodgeBall era, what were some of your favorite moments of the evening--whether you were at Fouts Field, watching the ESPN broadcast or listening to the Mean Green Radio Network.

There may be some duplications of positives, but that's OK, too. What Game Day activities stood out for you, too?

One Postive Among Many That I Saw In Our 1'st Win: I was duly impressed with the attendance in spite of our pre-kickoff 0 & 5 record. I think that was a huge statement made last night that this program is steadily growing right along with our school's on-campus enrollment growth and that of the Greater Denton area as well.

Improved significantly defensively against a (previously) successful rushing attack from the Warhawks. Defense played a good physical game. Contained a very good backfield combo of #7 and #22 for the entire first half.

Vizza is one tough guy and is really improving!

Micah Mosley continues to impress...no doubt he's out-performing J-Mo at this point. Downhill runner who flat out gets it done. He has deceptive speed.

Brock Stickler had another good game. He's got great hands.

Casey Fitzgerald is extremely reliable. Week in and week out he's doing great things for our offense.

For the second week in a row, the Defensive Tackles played exceptionally well. I thought Gilmore did a pretty good job on the edge.

Craig Robertson brings a good athlete who can force the ball back inside instead of letting teams get to the edge. He's a good player in space and one of the faster LB's we've had in a while.

Aaron Weathers is a difference-maker. ?He made one play last night that should get the attention of some scouts.

Less false starts/procedure penalties on the O-line.

Of course, the spirit and attendance was impressive considering our start prior to that game.

Improved significantly defensively against a (previously) successful rushing attack from the Warhawks. Defense played a good physical game. Contained a very good backfield combo of #7 and #22 for the entire first half.

Vizza is one tough guy and is really improving!

Micah Mosley continues to impress...no doubt he's out-performing J-Mo at this point. Downhill runner who flat out gets it done. He has deceptive speed.

Brock Stickler had another good game. He's got great hands.

Casey Fitzgerald is extremely reliable. Week in and week out he's doing great things for our offense.

For the second week in a row, the Defensive Tackles played exceptionally well. I thought Gilmore did a pretty good job on the edge.

Craig Robertson brings a good athlete who can force the ball back inside instead of letting teams get to the edge. He's a good player in space and one of the faster LB's we've had in a while.

Aaron Weathers is a difference-maker. ?He made one play last night that should get the attention of some scouts.

Less false starts/procedure penalties on the O-line.

Of course, the spirit and attendance was impressive considering our start prior to that game.

This is the part where the slow hand clap begins..................... :clapping: (just kiddin' of course--that would be my poor dad joke of the day, Young Gun Alums).

Seriously posting, those were some great positives, UNT Mean Green.

GMG!

I personally liked the quote by Dodge in the paper calling his freshman QB, "a warrior." I don't think Dodge goes around calling many freshman that.

I saw a defensive that battled their ass off for their coach. I liked that.

It was so nice to see the D, have the game of the year at Fouts, after being called out. congrats to the defensive staff.

Amen to that! This was my first home game at Fouts, it was awsome the people,the band and definitly the win!!!!!!!!!!!

A hardy welcome to Mean Green Country, New Green Fan. What part of Oklahoma you from?

My first Fouts Field game as a UNT student was in September of 1973. :blink: And that reminds me, I need to get back in church next Sunday to continue studying for, uh, finals. :rolleyes::blink::(:lol:

In our 1'st win in the DodgeBall era, what were some of your favorite moments of the evening--whether you were at Fouts Field, watching the ESPN broadcast or listening to the Mean Green Radio Network.

There may be some duplications of positives, but that's OK, too. What Game Day activities stood out for you, too?

One Postive Among Many That I Saw In Our 1'st Win: I was duly impressed with the attendance in spite of our pre-kickoff 0 & 5 record. I think that was a huge statement made last night that this program is steadily growing right along with our school's on-campus enrollment growth and that of the Greater Denton area as well.

PMG, first, thank you for this to-the-point post. I love your passion for the Mean Green, but often I do not get to read the entirety of your post because I tend not to read more than three paragraphs unless I'm getting paid for it (or I paid for it).

Second, too bad your question is limited to the "main positive" (singular). If it were plural, I would say (1) an exciting offense (including a 99 yard pass play), (2) a defense reminiscent of that which Mean Green fans used to expect, (3) points scored by the defense, (4) close to 20K in the stands, (5) meangreensports.com premium video that included sound, (6) a mobile QB presenting an added dimension to our offense, and (7) a WIN! (to name a few).

To answer your question, the "main positive" if I were to only choose one is the attendance. As a pragmatist, I thought it optomistic to expect greater than 15K for this game. For us to draw almost 20K shows me that TD's hire has had a more immediate impact on the overall excitement about our program (as measured by attendance at games) than I expected.

To me, the attendance shows that TD can be our Lucy. The missing link from our Southland-mire to a program with national respect. The first step on that road is to up our attendance numbers. To know that an 0-5 squad can draw close to 20K for U-La-freaking-Mo tells me that with a winning TD squad we would be selling out Fouts consistently (and hopefully a new and bigger stadium thereafter).

Great win, Mean Green! God Bless (North) Texas!

Edited by MGW

Guest Aquila_Viridis

In the past, when I have attended home games I have been traveling a long way and always getting there right before the game. This time I had a chance to enjoy ambling around in the tailgate area and the MGV, and it is a great community and a lot of fun. The fact that the community of true supporters is getting large enough that we had that much of a crowd after such a terrible start to the season, is really encouraging. The fact that their loyalty was rewarded with a win and the weather was so nice, just made it an overall great night.

Of course we need a lot MORE fans, but I was surprised by how many came out under the circumstances.

The overall improved play of the team was punctuated by some very memorable plays, particularly the 99.9999999 yarder and those interception returns.

One of the most encouraging things for me about the team was that the start of our running plays seems to be a lot more solid. On a lot of the attempts before, it didn't look like they really wanted to do it.

PMG, first, thank you for this to-the-point post. I love your passion for the Mean Green, but often I do not get to read the entirety of your post because I tend not to read more than three paragraphs unless I'm getting paid for it (or I paid for it).

Second, too bad your question is limited to the "main positive" (singular). If it were plural, I would say (1) an exciting offense (including a 99 yard pass play), (2) a defense reminiscent of that which Mean Green fans used to expect, (3) points scored by the defense, (4) close to 20K in the stands, (5) meangreensports.com premium video that included sound, (6) a mobile QB presenting an added dimension to our offense, and (7) a WIN! (to name a few).

To answer your question, the "main positive" if I were to only choose one is the attendance. As a pragmatist, I thought it optomistic to expect greater than 15K for this game. For us to draw almost 20K shows me that TD's hire has had a more immediate impact on the overall excitement about our program (as measured by attendance at games) than I expected.

To me, the attendance shows that TD can be our Lucy. The missing link from our Southland-mire to a program with national respect. The first step on that road is to up our attendance numbers. To know that an 0-5 squad can draw close to 20K for U-La-freaking-Mo tells me that with a winning TD squad we would be selling out Fouts consistently (and hopefully a new and bigger stadium thereafter).

Great win, Mean Green! God Bless (North) Texas!

:huh::lol:

The last sentence of your last full paragraph caught my attention, MGW.

BUT SINCE YOU MENTIONED NEW STADIUM------WHAT MIGHT BE THE IMMEDIATE IMPACT OF OUR EVENTUAL NEW (& LARGER) FOOTBALL STADIUM?

I truly think during the inaugural year(?) of our new stadium there will be 5,000 immediate new fans who just simply come out of the woodwork. They will come from several constituencies starting with those from Denton, Denton County, DFW NT Exes (many who dis-associated themselves from UNT & MG football long ago), the ever-burgeoning UNT student body and our UNT faculty/staff.

Our entire UNT constituency is humongous and gives us a very bright attendance-growth future. If I recall from the taped re-broadcast of our game, even the ESPN guys on the telecast last night said something about very good Mean Green support in light of our W/L record. If SBC Commish' Wright Waters was at Fouts Field last night, I'd wager a guess that he would have been a bit estatic himself. Last week's game at ULaLa with their most obvious-to-the-naked-eye empty stands was an embarrassment for themselves and the SBC.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The defense played like everyone expected them to play...it all came together last night. This was more about the players than the scheme. D-line got a push...LB played from sideline to sideline...DB covered well and provided good run support. Safety Aaron Weathers was able to play his position and did not have to worry about everybody else...chasing the ball 50 yards down the field, Weathers is a playmaker. ESPN announcer stated several times during the game that Weathers is one that should be playing on Sundays! Overall the D-line impressed me the most.

A defense that took control of and won that game for us.

Major props to the defensive line, especially Miller, Gilmore, and Stevenson. Also, Aaron Weathers played a tremendous game.

We were all over the defense for the first 5 games, now they deserve the same gushing praise the offense was getting for winning that game for us. Good work boys!

*Also, major kudos to the NT fanbase for the great turnout. Very encouraging display by our fans on Saturday.