Give The Staff Some Time

OA5II

My first allegiance is to A&M, but I know players and coaches in the program at UNT. All I can say is give them some time. Guys you trully don't understand how bare the cupboards were when this regime came in. They are almost having to start from D1AA level as far as talent goes. That doesn't mean there was no talent, but there was very little. It will take some time. This year is not a rebuilding year, but a year of learning.

He didn't inherit alot of talent, especially for the style of play he wants. I am not talking about just skilled players but also the big uglies. Remember what those guys were recruited for. Smash mouth, grind it out football. TD wants his linemen to be athletes, not just big bodies. This will take some time. The explosion ability of many of these guys was not there and that will take more than 1 offseason to help improve.

Give the guy sometime and you will be glad that you did.

Take with a grain of sugar or a grain of salt.

My first allegiance is to A&M, but I know players and coaches in the program at UNT. All I can say is give them some time. Guys you trully don't understand how bare the cupboards were when this regime came in. They are almost having to start from D1AA level as far as talent goes. That doesn't mean there was no talent, but there was very little. It will take some time. This year is not a rebuilding year, but a year of learning.

He didn't inherit alot of talent, especially for the style of play he wants. I am not talking about just skilled players but also the big uglies. Remember what those guys were recruited for. Smash mouth, grind it out football. TD wants his linemen to be athletes, not just big bodies. This will take some time. The explosion ability of many of these guys was not there and that will take more than 1 offseason to help improve.

Why does every "fan" have to tear down the returning players on this team. Calling them 1-AA and everything else in the book. This team has a great deal of talent, but not for the offensive system put into place. As for the defense I am shocked at the 180 degree turn, but it is just harsh to keep tearing down the returning players. Did DD recruit at same level as Dodge, maybe not but these guys are 1-A talent.

Why does every "fan" have to tear down the returning players on this team. Calling them 1-AA and everything else in the book. This team has a great deal of talent, but not for the offensive system put into place. As for the defense I am shocked at the 180 degree turn, but it is just harsh to keep tearing down the returning players. Did DD recruit at same level as Dodge, maybe not but these guys are 1-A talent.

It isn't tearing down players saying they dont have the talent to compete at the level on which Dodge intends- it's just reality. If you think that the only reason we got blown out by Tulsa, UT, LSU, KSU, etc were due to Dickey's play calling, you're simply wrong. There's a talent gap that Dodge plans to close.

Whats more annoying is people putting the word fan in quotations to imply someone isn't a true fan (like yourself, i guess) because they dont subscribe to "board think" and choose to look at the reality of the situation with out green-tinted glasses, or "objectively".

They are almost having to start from D1AA level as far as talent goes.

Statistically, this was a slightly worse than average 1A defense last year.

Are you telling me Dickey and Bleil were just that much better at getting more out of their players? :huh:

Lets stop running the current players down.

If you think that the only reason we got blown out by Tulsa, UT, LSU, KSU, etc were due to Dickey's play calling, you're simply wrong. There's a talent gap that Dodge plans to close.

So our talent this year was 32 points worse than our talent last year? At leasts thats what I would have to assume from the SMU scores.

Whats more annoying is people putting the word fan in quotations to imply someone isn't a true fan (like yourself, i guess) because they dont subscribe to "board think" and choose to look at the reality of the situation with out green-tinted glasses, or "objectively".

If you are on this board, you are a fan, it takes work just to find this place. So we shouldn't be here trying to measure our e-egos. However I don't agree that the BECAUSE DODGE DOES IT IT'S 100% CORRECT groupthink any more than I subscribed tot he BECAUSE DICKEY DID IT IT'S 100% WRONG groupthink.

This isn't Your Either With Us or Against Us. You can support the program and coaches and think they are doing somethings wrong.

It isn't tearing down players saying they dont have the talent to compete at the level on which Dodge intends- it's just reality. If you think that the only reason we got blown out by Tulsa, UT, LSU, KSU, etc were due to Dickey's play calling, you're simply wrong. There's a talent gap that Dodge plans to close.

Nope I am lesser a fan than easily 75% on this board but do not see the point in tearing down the players talent level. Go after the coaches for what they do wrong so be it, but leave the players alone now. I know i am now "pot meet kettle" but it is to much tired head having the players constantly being torn down, if IMO it is the coaching not playing to the players maximum strengths. If a player is not overly fast you do not play man to man. There just seems to be a communication breakdown or plain stubborness right now on the coaches philosophies.

Of course this coming from a skinny boy who could not play football and instead took up tennis and bowling, so take with a grain salt. ;)

Edited by untbowler

So our talent this year was 32 points worse than our talent last year? At leasts thats what I would have to assume from the SMU scores.

You and I both know there are a lot of other factors as to why our team has had a tough go at SMU- and it wasnt just the defense. Offensive play affects defensive stats, and turnovers killed us. SMU wasnt firing on all cylinders last year, they were this year. It was at their place, their fans.

If you are on this board, you are a fan, it takes work just to find this place. So we shouldn't be here try to measure our e-egos. However I don't agree that the BECAUSE DODGE DOES IT IT'S 100% CORRECT groupthink any more than I subscribed tot he BECAUSE DICKEY DID IT IT'S 100% WRONG groupthink.

This isn't Your Either With Us or Against Us. You can support the program and coaches and think they are doing somethings wrong.

Im not measuring egos, I'm just tired of people on this board questioning people's fan status based on differing opinions. I don't think there needs to be a feeding frenzy every time someone presents an alternative point of view.

Also, I've never thought Dodge (aka, God) was infallible. I've criticized and questioned several things he's done, and one of them was bringing an entire HS staff with him.

And it wasn't just the players. The players shouldn't be scapegoated and driven out into the desert.

Agreed. While I wouldn't go as far as to say we have 1AA level players as that is probably unfair, there's definitely a gap in the level of talent- as a whole- compared to other D-1A schools in Texas. That's not a knock on our players, that's just the way it is.

We've got a couple guys MANY schools would love to have, but as a whole, we're lacking.

Everyone on this board knows Dickey mailed it in with respects to recruiting Dallas area players years ago. Wasn't a Dallas area coach recently quoted saying it was the first time a UNT coach had been in there in years? That has an effect on talent, as this is one of the more talented recruiting regions in the nation.

Edited by Eagle1855

Saying the team lacks talent overall should not be seen as a direct attack on the players IMO. Most players probably have pretty high egos and probably assume that the comments are directed at someone else.

On the other hand, singling out individual players for attack here cannot be a good thing.

Most of us here have probably played some level of team sport competition. I think everyone sees themselves on a higher plateau than what they really are.

Welcome OA5II. Thanks for taking the time for your comments.

Edited by akriesman

The Rangers have major league talent but I doubt Connie Mack, John McGraw, or anyone else could take them to the seris right now. The players do the best they can but practice and workouts can only take you so far. You need raw physical abiltiy and a quite a few of ours are lacking in speed. Johnny Quinn overcame this by running track and became an even better player than he would've been. He needs to get some of our other players to follow suit.

If you are on this board, you are a fan, it takes work just to find this place. So we shouldn't be here trying to measure our e-egos. However I don't agree that the BECAUSE DODGE DOES IT IT'S 100% CORRECT groupthink any more than I subscribed tot he BECAUSE DICKEY DID IT IT'S 100% WRONG groupthink.

I think what he thinks.

There are several 1-AA teams that could beat us this year. Sad but true.

In a few years that will not be the case. I am confident of that as a fact.

You know El Quon, not every thread is a silly hats thread.

hats.gif

Barry Switzer says my hijacks are inevitable and you might as well lie back and enjoy them.

He also says he is incorrectly credited for that quote too much.