How Do I Participate In A Chili Cook-off?

infuryum

This is slightly football related. Chili cook-offs are, after all, an integral part of tailgating the further we get into the season. My new student group, the Coalition of Older College Kids, has started a traveling chili cook-off team. We're participating in the Possum Fest 2007 & 13th Annual Great Outdoors BBQ and Chili Cook-Off at Possum Kingdom Lake. We don't really know how these things work or what we need to cook chili in a parking lot.

I'm sure some of you have experience, or even have supplies you may want to offload. If so, please let me know. We'll help bring glory to the green and white through the magic of chili.

This is slightly football related. Chili cook-offs are, after all, an integral part of tailgating the further we get into the season. My new student group, the Coalition of Older College Kids, has started a traveling chili cook-off team. We're participating in the Possum Fest 2007 & 13th Annual Great Outdoors BBQ and Chili Cook-Off at Possum Kingdom Lake. We don't really know how these things work or what we need to cook chili in a parking lot.

I'm sure some of you have experience, or even have supplies you may want to offload. If so, please let me know. We'll help bring glory to the green and white through the magic of chili.

You need to come up with your own variation, but this site is a good place to start. I've tried several variations of these recipes and liked 'em all - especially "Runs for Your Life" :o . Your equipment will depend on your recipe, but a good heat source, cooler, and possibly a blender are a good place to begin. GL.

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_...0&StatusID=

Cooker is no problem. Go to Wal-Mart or any sporting type store that stocks outdoor goods (ie. Gander Mt., Cabella, Bass Pro, camping stores, etc) and you'll find the perfect beginner set-up except it will be labeled turkey fryer or fish fryer. Main thing is you want portable heat with a flame that can be regulated.

Check the rules of any contest you enter. Some do not permit ground meat. Beans, pasta, rice or such filler will knock you out automatically.

Talk to the other cooks, tell 'em you are just starting out and 90% of them will give you great advice though they may also pull your leg with few pieces of advice by suggesting you repeat mistakes they've made.

I've never done a cook-off but I've put a couple on and judged a few others.

CASI has some helpful info http://www.chili.org/

Guest JohnDenver

On homecomings for the past few years, my group has held an internal chili cookoff. It has been laid back and not *too* competitive. However, this year we are going to issue a prize and open it up to outsiders...

We have two main heat sources when making chili at Fouts.

1) Turkey fryers. fryerpic.jpg

2) Campsite stoves. coleman46dbaker.jpg

I prefer the fyer method, since the pot can be as big as you want and the tank is huge. The stove is ok, works reasonably well, but the surface is too small.

My friend's girlfriend invited my wife and me over to their place to watch the Cowboys game on Sunday. She fed us chili and said she was working on her recipe for the competition.

Hells yeh!