Smu Ponyfans Link

Harry

the thumbs are out on ours, not on top of the other 2 fingers.

Right, so that would make it a three-toed cousin of the stork, sloth....err, something. Still not an Eagle Talon.

eagle_foot.gif

lafphoto2_500x375.jpg

Here is a prime example of the ORIGINAL way that was taught for several generations(including mine) and the new way(Emmitts) made up by a group who met once and decided they would $hit on those who came before them and change every tradition they could get their hands on including adding Burnt Orange and Blue to the schools colors. Although Emmitt in the picture above does have his thumb out, it's still only three claws, not four. But I see this much too often when people are trying to do the new North Texas sign but for whatever reason don't quite get the thumb and third finger out there(to make four) and are simply throwing up the SMU peace sign. Well, we got the color situation repaired finally. I think it's high time we get our hand sign fixed too. I know it's much too late to correct this problem considering the school is wrongly teaching it to incoming freshmen every year who don't know the difference between an Eagle and a three-toed sloth. But I do what I can to help the rest of you. :P This saturday you'll see why.

Peace, and tranquillity!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I cant do the 4 toe thing, so I'll stick with the 3. If you cant bend your pinky down far enough, it looks like you're doing the Sic em bear. I'd prefer to be anatomically incorrect over people mistaking me for a Baylor bear fan/alumn.

Im pretty sure the 3 claw thing is what we were taught at UNT when I started in 99. Anyways, thread jack. back to the topic at hand (see what I did there?).

SMU has a lot more to lose. This is supposedly their best team in 20 years. We are basically at an upstart, with new Offense, defense, and coaching staff. This would be a crushing blow to the ponies. I mean, if not now, when?? It's a must-win for Patterson much like it was a must-win for Dickey.

Unfortunately, I dont see us winning this game. Im not sold on our defense schemes, and the fact that the coaches said it's the talent of OU, not the schemes worries me even more.

The X-factor for us could be special teams again. I watched us get awfully close to blocking a couple of OU's punts. If we could start out the game with a 3 and out, block a punt, this game could quite literally go a lot like 2006.

Edited by Eagle1855

I cant do the 4 toe thing, so I'll stick with the 3. If you cant bend your pinky down far enough, it looks like you're doing the Sic em bear.[/

We were taught, and then passed it on to others that if you can't somehow hold out all five digits out(show me 5 fingers out like your going to catch a basketball) and then curl the pinky down lower than the other 3 fingers, then simply touch the thumb with the pinky and that forms the Talon.

The very fact that it has always been(until the late 90's) taught to show three fingers up high is even more obvious when some of our cheerleaders back in the 70's tried to emulate this by simply touching the index finger to the thumb, leaving the pinky and remaining other two fingers out. It looked like the "Ok" simbol, but it worked? I think NT80 has posted a picture of this. As the way it's taught now, it often looks like the SMU peace sign or the Tech Guns Up.

Hey, if you CAN'T do it, then I understand, you just CAN'T?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

We were taught, and then passed it on to others that if you can't somehow hold out all five digits out(show me 5 fingers out like your going to catch a basketball) and then curl the pinky down lower than the other 3 fingers, then simply touch the thumb with the pinky and that forms the Talon.

Hey, if you CAN'T do it, then I understand, you just CAN'T?

We were taught to do it like Emmitt is doing it in that picture, which makes sense since I believe Emmitt and I were at NT around the same time (99-03).

If I try to bend my pinky down, my 4th finger goes with it, so Im not kidding when I say I just cant do it!

Right, so that would make it a three-toed cousin of the stork, sloth....err, something. Still not an Eagle Talon.

eagle_foot.gif

lafphoto2_500x375.jpg

Here is a prime example of the ORIGINAL way that was taught for several generations(including mine) and the new way(Emmitts) made up by a group who met once and decided they would $hit on those who came before them and change every tradition they could get their hands on including adding Burnt Orange and Blue to the schools colors.

Looks like they are doing it two different ways.

I learned to do it Rick's way, but there were inconsistencies back then. Some would put their thumb and pinky together, some would keep the thumb out with the pinky tucked in. When I first saw it being done with the first two fingers and the thumb, I wondered where in the world that came from. I thought maybe everybody had been doing it wrong for the previous several years.

The very fact that it has always been(until the late 90's) taught to show three fingers up high is even more obvious when some of our cheerleaders back in the 70's tried to emulate this by simply touching the index finger to the thumb, leaving the pinky and remaining other two fingers out. It looked like the "Ok" simbol, but it worked? I think NT80 has posted a picture of this. As the way it's taught now, it often looks like the SMU peace sign or the Tech Guns Up.

This article & photo (scroll to bottom of page) is explained by the cheerleader as trying to find a hand-sign to represent a flying worm, er..eagle...

http://www.unt.edu/northtexan/archives/w03/feedback.htm

This article & photo (scroll to bottom of page) is explained by the cheerleader as trying to find a hand-sign to represent a flying worm, er..eagle...

http://www.unt.edu/northtexan/archives/w03/feedback.htm

Who needs hand-sign consistency when you have those cheerleader out-fits :blushing:

BTW, that doesn't look like the correct shade of green.

I'm another of the "claw impaired" who cannot do it the way Rick does. However, I learned the version he mentions here back in 1983 and it works well for me.