Big 12 Ref's

Charlie NT 73

Seems like every big game NT plays in, the opponent has their own

conference ref's calling the game.

Have you noticed how at critical points of the game,

a flag is thrown on NT, or even when our guys gets mugged right

in front of a ref, the ref just plays like he did not see anything wrong.

Remember the NOB with Memphis, NT had Memphis backed up on their

what 4 yd line, with 3rd and a mile, the QB takes the snap-Bogger and

our DE get mugged, tackled, and held, the WR flys past Pearl, the QB

hits the WR for 40yds and a 1st down. No flag, with the refs looking

at Booger on the ground with a couble of Memphis guys still holding

him. I am still pissed about that play.

Anyway-- with Big 12 ref's, I feel they will have their eyes

closed on OU, and nit picking NT, especially if NT makes a big play.

Do you think the Big 12 Ref's will be fair on close calls, or kinda favor

OU?

Bitching about the refs is just sorry, especially refs who haven't cost a game in several decades for a game that will most likely not be affected by them. move on - this is embarassing. And not in the good way.

Bitching about the refs is just sorry, especially refs who haven't cost a game in several decades for a game that will most likely not be affected by them. move on - this is embarassing. And not in the good way.
With

Some us are still pissed about what the refs did to us in Austin 20 years ago. That one DID cost us a game. With our new offense attempting to get on track, it would be nice if the refs don't show their bias too much. It's gonna be tough enough moving the ball without having to face a bunch of 1st and 25 crap every series.

This from Beltboard after the Pac-10 replay fiasco last year. I'm not worried about actual bias as much as the appearance creates a lack of confidence in the integrity of the game.

Let me send a huge thanks to the crew that officiated the Oklahoma – Oregon game.

You have single-handedly exposed to the public the ugliness that is college football officiating. The system has two nasty flaws. Conference assignment of officials, and inconsistent replay systems.

The system in place is a mess. Each of the 11 I-A conferences manage their own group of officials. Although they all use the same rulebook and the same set of guidelines from the NCAA, each acts independent of the rest. Each has its own set of procedures to review, evaluate, and grade officials. The supervisor of officials in different leagues may see the same play differently. One may be critical of an official for calling a block in the back that clearly had no impact on a play while another would grade that as a good call due to safety issues. One may lower a grade on a correct call because of poor position while another might let it slide if the call is correct.

Each of 11 people or teams of people evaluating officials must answer to the commissioner of their conference. The commissioners in turn answer to the presidents or chancellors of member institutions.

In conference play the system works. Each member school has the same influence on the commissioner and supervisor of officials.

In non-conference play the system falls apart at least from the standpoint of public perception. The home team is responsible for obtaining officials through their conference office unless the teams agree by contract to use other officials. One school has a voice in the review of officials and one does not.

While I have no doubt that everyone on the field and in the replay booth is trying to do their best and call a clean, fair game, the system creates a perception of bias. When a mistake can potentially result in a multi-million dollar windfall for the employer of the officials and the employer of the person evaluating those officials, how can the public not suspect bias was to blame?

Central assignment of officials is a must for the good of the game. Whether assignment is handled by the NCAA or a coalition of the I-A conferences isn’t important, what is important is to insulate officials from the idea that they work for one side rather than for an equal, fair game.

More cames than not are filled with error full plays. And besides even those angry about dogging ref's would be upset when their team is about to score and some dumb called is made. Granted it has not happened yet but come 6:10pm on Sat you can bet something will not go our way and I will be glad to know this topic was made!

I think most teams feel the same way about getting hosed by ref's. The Sooners have been on the end of some horrendous officiating - @ Oregon last year, and @ Texas Tech the year before. These were calls that cost OU victories in both instances. Also, the Sooners always have to be a little better than Texas in their annual meeting. I have seen more than my fair share of lopsided calls in those games in the past couple of seasons.

I think most teams feel the same way about getting hosed by ref's. The Sooners have been on the end of some horrendous officiating - @ Oregon last year, and @ Texas Tech the year before. These were calls that cost OU victories in both instances.

No kidding!

NT fans need to quit crying. Worry about the refs when we field a competitive team. I cant think of a Big 12 game in recent history where the refs have had anything to do with the ass-whipping we received. There's a lot of things you can find to bitch about... this just isnt one of them.

Ref's didn't cost us our game, but the Big 12 refs hosed ASU by calling us for an illegal formation on our onside kick that we recovered. The replay on Fox PPV showed it was a legal formation.

Do I think we could go 60 yards in 58 seconds, score a TD, a two-point conversion and win in OT? No. But it would have been nice to get the chance.

Ref's didn't cost us our game, but the Big 12 refs hosed ASU by calling us for an illegal formation on our onside kick that we recovered. The replay on Fox PPV showed it was a legal formation.

Do I think we could go 60 yards in 58 seconds, score a TD, a two-point conversion and win in OT? No. But it would have been nice to get the chance.

You can guarantee if the situation had been reversed the refs in Austin would have never thrown that flag against the Horns. And, the Longhorns are my second favorite team, but I saw us get homered big-time in 1988 and have seen calls favor the home team in Memorial Stadium for many years. But, that is probably the same with most BCS teams against non-BCS.

You can guarantee if the situation had been reversed the refs in Austin would have never thrown that flag against the Horns. And, the Longhorns are my second favorite team, but I saw us get homered big-time in 1988 and have seen calls favor the home team in Memorial Stadium for many years. But, that is probably the same with most BCS teams against non-BCS.

Someone posted that one of the OU boards is using the video of the ASU onside kick to "prove" the Texas bias of Big 12 refs. :rolleyes:

but I saw us get homered big-time in 1988

88nontdcatch2.jpg

As you can tell in the second to last rame, Cash' elbows are the first thing to touch down, two feet past the pilon. The ref standing there doesn't make a call until one from a further distance away comes over to him. Our players were ready to explode after that final call.

"getting homered" just doesn't do those calls that night justice. Outright @#$#ed is a better term for me. The series photo of the final non TD catch above wasn't even the worst call of the three really bad calls that night. No, for me it was the fumble we recovered from their fullback that would have given us the ball right back on their 30 only moments after we had already taken the 14 point lead in the first quarter.

Rick

Someone posted that one of the OU boards is using the video of the ASU onside kick to "prove" the Texas bias of Big 12 refs. :rolleyes:

The 5 minute on-field temper-tantrum was pretty fun to watch after the kick was penalized.

The 5 minute on-field temper-tantrum was pretty fun to watch after the kick was penalized.

Best I've seen since Larry Lacewell's at Memphis one year. The Tigers had a third and goal and gained a yard. The refs declared it an inadvertent whistle so the play never existed, except they spotted the ball at the end of the run, not at the original line of scrimmage. We ended up holding them out of the end zone on five downs but Lacewell through a hell fit and many newspapers ran the AP photo of Lacewell down on his knees slapping the ground.

Which bad call by the Big 12 refs effected the ourcome of our game against OU?

Let's move on.

This one.

"You are the visitor, call it in the air". Sorta downhill from there.

Sorry. But in fairness I used a variant of that after Va.Tech snot kicked us to open the Roberts era and that's worked out fairly well.

Which bad call by the Big 12 refs effected the ourcome of our game against OU?

In retrospect, the one where they allowed us on the field that day to play the game... :lol:

All kidding aside, no matter how much you may want to, you can't change the results the refs make...I have belabored the '88 game against UT as much as anyone on the board, yet I know there isn't a thing we can do about it.

Refs are human...to expect a totally objective game to be called by an officiating crew every single time is unrealistic. You can replace officials who make obvious errors, like the Oregon-OU game last year, but that's about all you can do.