Turning Point

Eagle-96

Who knows what would have happened to our program had we not gotten screwed? This could be the biggest play ever.

Corky Nelson's comment after the game was something like "Oh well, if we had won Texas would have never scheduled us again".

Of course, our program and fan base might have taken off to the point that we wouldn't have needed money games any longer. But was our administration ready for such a thing back then?

As for one amazing play that turned a game around in our favor, look at the 4th down and 25 (or close to it) that we converted in the last minute against SFA in Nacogdoches back in 1994. Mitch Maher completed the pass to Luis Silva, who reached up and grabbed the perfect pass between two guys who had great coverage. We then went on to kick the game-tying field goal to stay in first place. It allowed us to basically control our destiny to win the Southland in the last year of I-AA. Not the biggest moment, and I realize we all hated the fact that we were in I-AA for that long period, but that was a great way to move up to Division I.

The biggest play I ever saw in person was the Jeremy Pearl pick 6 against Cincinati...I'm not sure I can remember another time when I went crazier at a football game...the bloody mary's and hand grenades helped...but still. I missed out on the trip to Las Cruces at the last minute...and was ohhh so mad when I saw the score and recap on Sunday.

I think the forgotten play and game in the Darrell "happy to be on the same field" Dickey and the "five plays a game" offensive philosophy we ran was the 2002 game at Amon Carter. Hiram Gonzalez threw a late touchdown after we ran almost nothing but halfback dives for three and a half quarters for a total of 3 points. I'm a Ft. Worth guy and I love what TCU has done...but like the UT out-of -bounds touchdown...a win against TCU coupled with competative games with Arizona and South Florida...and a bowl victory could have done wonders for our program. I've always thought that was a huge transitional point for both schools.

The biggest play I ever saw in person was the Jeremy Pearl pick 6 against Cincinati...I'm not sure I can remember another time when I went crazier at a football game...the bloody mary's and hand grenades helped...but still. I missed out on the trip to Las Cruces at the last minute...and was ohhh so mad when I saw the score and recap on Sunday.

I think the forgotten play and game in the Darrell "happy to be on the same field" Dickey and the "five plays a game" offensive philosophy we ran was the 2002 game at Amon Carter. Hiram Gonzalez threw a late touchdown after we ran almost nothing but halfback dives for three and a half quarters for a total of 3 points. I'm a Ft. Worth guy and I love what TCU has done...but like the UT out-of -bounds touchdown...a win against TCU coupled with competative games with Arizona and South Florida...and a bowl victory could have done wonders for our program. I've always thought that was a huge transitional point for both schools.

Actually, I think my bloody mary went flying about 5 rows back after DPS knocked it out of my hands while we were celebrating that play. :D

That TCU game was such a let down. Truly a day of "What could have been". BTW, My dad still asks me how you're doing after hanging out him at that TCU game.

Edited by Green Lantern

The Beaver QB was Don (I believe) Shanklin, son of North Texas and Pittsburgh Steeler great Ronnie Shanklin.

It wasn't Shank's son, but it was his cousin or cousin's son.