Mean Green Get Deeper In The Trenches

MeanGreen61

Football: Mean Green gets deeper in trenches

Banks, Ross expected to contribute on lines

09:24 AM CDT on Thursday, August 16, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas became a lot deeper in two key areas on Wednesday when it welcomed back two of its top young linemen.

Offensive lineman Ajani Banks and defensive lineman Draylen Ross, a pair of sophomores who had missed the first nine sessions of fall practice, made their debuts during the Mean Green’s morning workout.

Banks and Ross were among the Mean Green’s top recruits in its 2005 and 2006 classes, respectively, and are expected to play significant roles for UNT this season.

“I told our players in the offseason that we needed them all,” UNT head coach Todd Dodge said. “We have gone seven or eight practices without them. Now they will have to get caught back up.”

Banks (6-2, 328) is one of the Mean Green’s biggest players and will provide depth in an area where UNT lacks experience. UNT has two returning starters on its offensive line in senior Adam Venegas and junior Chad Rose, but is expected to have an entirely new lineup up front this season.

The Mean Green has been trying to settle into that new lineup while dealing with losing several players. A lingering knee injury forced senior tackle Josh Alexander to give up the game, while redshirt freshman guard Nick Foster is no longer with the team.

The addition of Banks will give the Mean Green another option at guard.

“Ajani will be a big help,” Rose said. “He has a lot of talent and ability. He is a big body and has an opportunity to be a great player.”

Banks was a backup last season and is one of several players UNT could end up relying on without much experience.

“Every year we have a couple of young guys,” Rose said. “They are learning and doing everything they need to do. They will be ready. They might not have a lot of experience, but they are working hard.”

Ross is expected to play on the Mean Green’s defensive line after spending last season as a tight end.

Brown appears to have found home

Charlie Brown appears to have found a home as a defensive end at UNT.

Brown was one of about a half-dozen tight ends and fullbacks who were left without a position after the Mean Green changed to a spread offense under Dodge following last season. He spent some time at wide receiver in spring practice before settling in on the defensive side of the ball.

“I like it a lot,” Brown said. “I am coming around, but I still have a long way to go. I have not played there since I was a senior in high school.”

Brown prepared for the move by bulking up to 239 pounds. Dodge likes how Brown has responded to the change so far.

“Putting Charlie at defensive end was a good move for us,” Dodge said. “He has the type of body we are looking for. His motor runs hot and he is athletic. What he lacks right now is technique. He is making up for it in athleticism.”

UNT has two seniors starting at defensive end in Blake Burruss and Jeremiah Chapman, a preseason All-Sun Belt Conference selection.

“I hope to help this year,” Brown said. “I am learning a lot from Jeremiah, Blake and Tye [Rexrode]. … [Defensive ends coach David] Rausch is being patient with me and teaching me a lot.”

Peachey, King out with injuries

Sophomore offensive lineman Robert Peachey and freshman wide receiver Marcus King both sat out practice Wednesday with injuries.

Peachey, who is projected to start at right tackle, injured his hamstring and was on crutches. King hyper-extended his knee at the end of practice on Tuesday, but is only expected to be out a few days.

King suffered what looked like a much more serious injury after making a catch in the back of the end zone and landing awkwardly in the grass.

“He will be fine,” Dodge said. “It looked bad on video, but he checked out well. We are very fortunate. He is really coming along.”

Peachey’s status will be a day-to-day decision, Dodge said.

Riley alright after trip to hospital

Southlake Carroll head coach Hal Wasson said Wednesday that senior quarterback and UNT recruit Riley Dodge is OK one day after he was hospitalized for dehydration. Wasson said Dodge returned to practice Wednesday, but was not allowed to participate.

Wasson said Dodge finished Tuesday’s practice and an ambulance was summoned when he began feeling the effects from dehydration. He was administered intravenous fluid and was feeling fine by the time he arrived at the hospital.

Wasson said he will consult with the team trainer before determining when Dodge would return to practice.

David Hinojosa of The Dallas Morning News contributed to this report

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870.

Would y'all still consider Ajani a back up instead of a returning starter? He was the anchor on the "Green" offensive line last year that, for the most part, outperformed the 1st string. To me he's a huge cog in this wheel that proved what he could do and, may not have started as much, or if any, but he had just as much playing time as anyone on the 1st string last year.

I'm very dissapointed in Nick Foster as I had high hopes for him since the '06 Oil Bowl game. Hopefully he can do like Ajani and get his problems worked out and come back?

Rick

Would y'all still consider Ajani a back up instead of a returning starter? He was the anchor on the "Green" offensive line last year that, for the most part, outperformed the 1st string. To me he's a huge cog in this wheel that proved what he could do and, may not have started as much, or if any, but he had just as much playing time as anyone on the 1st string last year.

I'm very dissapointed in Nick Foster as I had high hopes for him since the '06 Oil Bowl game. Hopefully he can do like Ajani and get his problems worked out and come back?

Rick

Agreed on Banks. When Dickey started running out the "Green Team" last year, I could not figure out why Banks had not been getting more playing time. He was huge and looked impressive. The entire "Green Team" line just seemed to outperform the 1st team when they were given a chance. I think Banks should be a major contributor this year.

Charley Brown at DE is a hugh plus. I really think he can become a major

DE player! For Banks, yes I agree he should have been in the starting

rotation last year. If he can "catch up" quickly at OG, this will give the OL

much needed depth. Now, for Ross, at 6-3, bulked up to 280lbs, I hope

the staff can try him at DT or NT. I can see this guy getting much bigger

and stronger. A natural for DT or NT.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I think that Ajani will be a starter before the year is out. Remember he missed spring ball and all of the practices until yesterday so he can't be in football shape. As he learns the new system and gets conditioned I'm sure that we'll see more and more of him until he becomes a starter.

I thought that he and Drake were the two best linemen last year even though both were backups. I'm hoping that they move Rose to tackle where I think that he'd get more playing time; maybe even start. I also thought that Venegas, being an ex-wrestler, would have been more of a natural for the defensive line (ala Pruitt and I. Thomas) but he's a senior now and it's too late. That could also have meant that Foster could've/would've/should've moved up to starter next year. I'm disappointed in losing Foster but I like the way Santiago is progressing.

I'm definitely less worried about the o-line than I was two days ago.

Rick

I doubt he'll ever be coming back to North Texas.