Smu Looking At The Nt Game For Payback...

medpilot21

My kids and I were at the Irving Mall yesterday and we ran into Vinny (Vincent Chase). For those of you who looked at the DCTF College Preview SMU pages, Vinny is expected to be the breakout player this year for the Ponies. He will start at TE this year, and said they were REALLY looking forward to playing us in their house. I asked how the team looks, and Vin said the team is faster than last year, and more determined to win. They look at what happened in Denton last year as a fluke, and want payback BIGTIME. They also highly respect Todd Dodge and think he will make a huge difference in our program. Vin said most of the players actually like what is going on at North Texas, they just want to beat us for the loss they took last season. Apparently the team will focus more on getting the ball out faster. They have basically the same offense as last year, but will have faster skilled position players.

For the record, Vinny is a class act and a great guy. I've known this kid since he played Jr. High football, and followed his career at Irving High School. He has always been a nice person to talk to, and was recruited by most of the Big-XII schools. He chose SMU so he could play with his brother Bobby. Strangley enough, he was never contacted or recruited by Darrell Dickey's staff? In hind-sight that was probably for the best as we now have no real TE position in this offense. Vin said things at SMU are getting better, and they like the rivalry building between SMU and NT. Good crowds for both teams each year...

Works for us too, I think.

GMG!!!

My kids and I were at the Irving Mall yesterday and we ran into Vinny (Vincent Chase). For those of you who looked at the DCTF College Preview SMU pages, Vinny is expected to be the breakout player this year for the Ponies. He will start at TE this year, and said they were REALLY looking forward to playing us in their house. I asked how the team looks, and Vin said the team is faster than last year, and more determined to win. They look at what happened in Denton last year as a fluke, and want payback BIGTIME. They also highly respect Todd Dodge and think he will make a huge difference in our program. Vin said most of the players actually like what is going on at North Texas, they just want to beat us for the loss they took last season. Apparently the team will focus more on getting the ball out faster. They have basically the same offense as last year, but will have faster skilled position players.

For the record, Vinny is a class act and a great guy. I've known this kid since he played Jr. High football, and followed his career at Irving High School. He has always been a nice person to talk to, and was recruited by most of the Big-XII schools. He chose SMU so he could play with his brother Bobby. Strangley enough, he was never contacted or recruited by Darrell Dickey's staff? In hind-sight that was probably for the best as we now have no real TE position in this offense. Vin said things at SMU are getting better, and they like the rivalry building between SMU and NT. Good crowds for both teams each year...

Works for us too, I think.

GMG!!!

If all SMU folks were like him, I'd change my opinions about the school.

We SHOULD play SMU (and TCU for that matter) every year. Close to home games make for great traditions and BIG fan support. Even though I like beating MTS, Troy, etc., I just can't get as worked up over playing them as I can SMU, TCH, etc., etc. I still think a great "traditions" game beats all...take a look at the Army-Navy game, the Texas-Ou game, the Texas-Texas A7M game...and on and on and on....no, UNT-SMU may not have the same "feel" as Army-Navy, TX-OU, but the excitement and fan support is BIG just the same. This year's game at SMU should be FUN...especially when we beat them at their home this year! Go Mean Green! See you at the game!

If all SMU folks were like him, I'd change my opinions about the school.

---All..?? if MOST of them had decent attitudes then my opinion would change... about the time I find a decent one then 3-4 of the other type appears. It would also help my opinion of them if they were not constantly ignoring our existence or trashing us in the media which their leadership seems to do with some regularity. They are always claiming the have the ONLY whatever program etc. in the area when they know very well ours is as good or better than what they have. They seem to think that we, UTD, TCU, or UTA don't even exist. TCU folks have a similiar opinion of them as well.

--We need to win this one to prove last year was no fluke...

We were over in Smoo territory and decided to scope out the stadium and the parking a couple of weeks ago. No wonder no one goes to their games, there's NO PARKING! I have to say it is a nice looking stadium, but I can't imagine them filling it up. They have parking across 75 at the DART station, a closed movie theater and a hotel?!?!?! Finding a place to park for this game will be a nightmare, but we'll see you there!

GMG!

Edited by NTEdgex2

Yeah parking is bad. The last few years I've been getting there very early, and parking in a the student lot across from McFarland Auditorium. It's a walk to the stadium, but it's at least on campus. Ford Field is a nice stadium... as for how many fans usually show up? I think we will be the largest crowd there this season. Texas Tech brings in a good crowd too. If we can get close to filling our allotment, this could be quite an atmosphere. I imagine it like the Baylor/NT crowds. For the record, I've been to a few SMU games over the past few years and I have yet to see them win at Ford? I'm not sure who has home field advantage for our game, but the odds are with us!!!

I'm ready... beat the Ponies, then off to Campisi's for Chicken Marsala. You gotta love that part of Dallas!

GMG!!! :)

Yeah parking is bad. The last few years I've been getting there very early, and parking in a the student lot across from McFarland Auditorium. It's a walk to the stadium, but it's at least on campus. Ford Field is a nice stadium... as for how many fans usually show up? I think we will be the largest crowd there this season. Texas Tech brings in a good crowd too. If we can get close to filling our allotment, this could be quite an atmosphere. I imagine it like the Baylor/NT crowds. For the record, I've been to a few SMU games over the past few years and I have yet to see them win at Ford? I'm not sure who has home field advantage for our game, but the odds are with us!!!

I'm ready... beat the Ponies, then off to Campisi's for Chicken Marsala. You gotta love that part of Dallas!

GMG!!! :)

I've been to every game against SMU in the modern era, and the only win in Dallas that I can remember is a mid 70's win in Texas Stadium under Hayden Fry, but it was probably the sweetest victory for NT that I have ever witnessed. The whole fourth quarter the band was playing it's alright now and the SMU faithful were jamming the exits. The margin of victory did not come close to showing the way Coach Fry's team thoroughly dominated those Horse's A__es!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by DallasGreen

We were over in Smoo territory and decided to scope out the stadium and the parking a couple of weeks ago. No wonder no one goes to their games, there's NO PARKING! I have to say it is a nice looking stadium, but I can't imagine them filling it up. They have parking across 75 at the DART station, a closed movie theater and a hotel?!?!?! Finding a place to park for this game will be a nightmare, but we'll see you there!

GMG!

They do have a bus system on game day that runs from the stadium to DART etc so you don't have to brave walking across the service roads on 75. Also if you are concerned about traffic as you leave the game you could always park at City Place, catch the train up to Mockingbird station, watch the game and then once over ride the train back south 3 exits and not sit in traffic.

Most of the SMUt players aren't the ones with the ego attitudes, they were recruited from normal places. It's the rich alums and snob HP kids with the Paris Hilton eliteisms.

Many of us have worked around SMU alums who were wealthy but you would have never known it with their humble and gracious attitudes?

If one thinks about it, if one who has been ble$$ed with big money (whether earned or inherited) has to keep reminding those around that they have personal riches, how many true friends could such a person have; whether they attended SMU or not? Lest we forget, SMU'ers don't have a corner on the market with wealth. We have many alums who (themselves) have been as ble$$ed and some of whom that may even have a propensity to flaunt it while others are as humble about it as the Reverend Billy Graham.

FWIW, don't many of our attitudes about some SMU alums come from message boards such as this one? :)

SMU vs UNT @ Texas Stadium/A Mean Green Win! This 1975 (or 1977?) game Dallas Green referred to in his aforementioned post was also one of my all time favorite Mean Green wins thru the decades. UNT's QB Kenny Washington (brother of OU All American Joe Washington) was as flawless as a heart surgeon as he surgically carved his way thru the Mustangs defense. You almost knew after the 1'st half that this would be a Mean Green victory (in Dallas) or at least, in Irving, Texas.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen