Flying Tomato Article In Dmn

trud1966

Did anyone see the article today in the DMN Metro section regarding the Tomato? Someone help me out and post a link to it. Its the same old stuff basically. BUT, what caught my eye is that it explains the fact that the developer is planning to build 2 walls, one to tell the story of Fry Street, the other to tell the story of the history of UNT. IMHO, for all those people who have endlessly cried over and over about this, finally, they need to shut up. The fact that the developer is spending money to do that is a GRAND gesture. He did NOT have to do this at all. Plus, it stated the design of the building will have a 1920's feel to it, so it's not going to be your typical slick every-day strip retail center. I gladly welcome the improvement, and the fact that someone is telling a story, which is what tradition basically is, and what UNT needs to do alot more of.

Can somone post that DMN link for me?

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by trud1966

It seems likely that these changes are a response to the concerns; too often, commercial developments across the country look like they're all pressed from the same mold.

Which is to say that far from being a bunch of out-of-touch loonies, the people who expressed those concerns had an impact. They've managed to get the new development to respect the look and feel of the neighborhood.

Sounds like a win-win to me.

Edited by Green to the Bone

I don't remember cleanliness ever being the big issue. Part of it, sure, but that's not why people create savefrystreet.com or preservedenton on MySpace. They can pick whatever decade they want to model it after, a Starbucks is still a Starbucks no matter what neighborhood it respects...and it certainly isn't the Tomato.

I've heard it's relocating somewhere near the Best Buy. I miss Mr. Chopsticks, too. I'll be quick to find out where they moved to.

Tomato made it on the WFAA news Sunday night.

They said the Tomato was opening another store "across town" after it closes this one. :blink:

I bet over 70% of their business is from college students. What good is it to move the store far from campus?

I don't remember cleanliness ever being the big issue. Part of it, sure, but that's not why people create savefrystreet.com or preservedenton on MySpace. They can pick whatever decade they want to model it after, a Starbucks is still a Starbucks no matter what neighborhood it respects...and it certainly isn't the Tomato.

I've heard it's relocating somewhere near the Best Buy. I miss Mr. Chopsticks, too. I'll be quick to find out where they moved to.

Mr. chopsticks already moved on the corner of avenue C and....some other road (the road in front of City Parc)

Tomato made it on the WFAA news Sunday night.

They said the Tomato was opening another store "across town" after it closes this one. :blink:

I bet over 70% of their business is from college students. What good is it to move the store far from campus?

In the new location he will have a huge daytime business, and he will have customers that can afford to pay higher prices and order more than the specials. There is a reason that retail has not really flourished around campus

Edited by KingDL1

In the new location he will have a huge daytime business, and he will have customers that can afford to pay higher prices and order more than the specials. There is a reason that retail has not really flourished around campus

I'm down with this. The folks that own the restaurant have had it for almost 30 years, I heard. It'd really stink for them to lose it all. Maybe the extra money will let them really branch out and maybe chain a little in the Denton area. I could be okay with access to Tomato pizza in different parts of town.

Makes me think of that Japanese company that existed for hundreds of years before shutting down sometime in the last 2 months.

I missed out on the earth movement that must have happened in commemorating the graduation of Andy Hogue? Did y'all? :D

Rick

My girlfriend had a class with Andy Hogue and described it as some of the worst times she ever at UNT, saying that he took over the class and what was discussed in it. MAJOR LOSER in my opinion. Im glad that he is not at school anymore.

Best Part: Andy Hogue doesnt go out on Sundays.... ha ha

What good is it to move the store far from campus?

None. The Flying Tomato is one of my favorite restaurants of all time...and my favorite pizza hands-down. But, and unfortunately, moving "across town" (like, say, off the Loop like I had heard), will most likely be the death of it. It is hard to relocate history, a look, a feel, an ambience, etc.

Gotta say, though, maybe the new place will have nicer accommodations for when one has to "relieve" oneself!?!?! :unsure:

I truly believe that The Tomato can only continue to exist if it were to open on the Square. There are certain places that just won't work without location...and The Tomato in a shopping center...just won't work. It needs something more...classic.

Also, can someone please tell Andy Houge to get the hell outta my hometown of Gainesville? He is likely the worst writer at the Gainesville Daily Register...and that takes some talent.

Edited by JayDub