For Wow Factor In Mg Fb Recruiting

.....check into what TCU did just this last week with the debut of their brand spanking new $7,000,000 indoor football practice facility and just decide such a facility might go to the top of the list as the best one for UNT to build right now; that is, over a new football stadium? BTW, a new football stadium that is still going to require a Big Donor who gives some rather Big Money to get that facility off the ground whether we build an indoor facility or not? :huh:

OR MAYBE ? ? ? ? :rolleyes: For such an indoor facility located at the MG Village, might even the Coordinating Board give approval (and allow some funding) if this facility is going to be a true multi-usage facility for PE classes as well as for the UNT College of Music's Green Brigade marching band (especially when they, too, also have 2-a-days marching band practice in their own preparation for their part of upcoming football seasons?

Most of the upper echelon NCAA D1-A football coaches call such facilities "WOW" factors when they give potential recruits a look at what they have to offer for daily use for their football program. I know, its more of this "keeping up with the Jones" type of thing, but such a facility as an indoor practice facility would be used quite often (and by other student groups if UNT got this approved as a student facility).

Any thoughts or opinions on this, fellow alums/MG fans?

I think it's a great idea but it is a little "keeping up with the Jones'" Plus, I don't think we have the money to do that and I think everyone would agree that any money towards new football facilities need to be saved for a new stadium.

But you're right, it is a WOW factor. Is Denton not a big enough WOW factor? ;)

Also, with basketball practice facilities now being another new trend at D1 schools, might such a facility be incorporated with an indoor football facillity? Portable floors for basketball could easily be installed.

Perhaps the HVAC cost for this indoor facility might prohibit its construction at UNT, but this facility could really be a very nice visual jewel for commuters, ie, potential UNT students on both Interstate 35E and Interstate 35W; some of that group being potential varsity athletics recruits, of course. :rolleyes:

What we do build at the MG Village needs to always be an eye-pleaser since there are so many who can see all our athletic venues from both interstates now. And is that number around 60,000 daily commuters on both Denton-based interstates now?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I agree, new practice facilities for all our sports teams are needed.. When potential students take a tour of UNT they are always taken to the rec center, and believe me that place catches the student's eyes.. It would be the same thing with recruits who see new practice / training facilities.. sure "keeping up with the joes" sounds like a bad thing, but it is something that is needed to compete in the recruiting process.. If we win in the recruiting process we have the coaching to win on the field / court too.. Thats why I think a new practice facilities would be very crucial to the future of UNT, and maybe (dare I say?) more important than a new stadium...

I agree, new practice facilities for all our sports teams are needed.. When potential students take a tour of UNT they are always taken to the rec center, and believe me that place catches the student's eyes.. It would be the same thing with recruits who see new practice / training facilities.. sure "keeping up with the jones" sounds like a bad thing, but it is something that is needed to compete in the recruiting process.. If we win in the recruiting process we have the coaching to win on the field / court too.. Thats why I think a new practice facilities would be very crucial to the future of UNT, and maybe (dare I say?) more important than a new stadium...

Good post....

Anyhooooo...........wouldn't we all rather be "keeping up with the Jones" who annually hover around the Top 25 every year compared to "keeping up with the Smiths" who keep hanging in there with an annual Bottom 25 co-existance? :rolleyes:

I want a new stadium as much as the next alum or MG fan and I think many of my posts of the last 5 years have expressed such, but it just might make more sense for us to build something like an indoor practice facility out at Eagle Point Campus that is really going to be one of those recruiting "WOW" factors and a facility that will be utilized much more throughout the year than 5 or 6 Saturdays each Fall of any stadium.

Nevertheless (and concerning a new football stadium)....

BUILD IT SO SOME OF US DON'T GO BLIND TRYING TO MAKE OUT WHAT LOGOS/LETTERS ARE ON OUR FOOTBALL HELMETS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think it's a great idea but it is a little "keeping up with the Jones'" Plus, I don't think we have the money to do that and I think everyone would agree that any money towards new football facilities need to be saved for a new stadium.

But you're right, it is a WOW factor. Is Denton not a big enough WOW factor? ;)

WE HAVE A FOOTBALL STADIUM TODAY! WE NEED AN INDOOR PRACTICE FACILITY YESTERDAY!

And I suppose, MGd, the reason we need an indoor practice facility now is that "neighbor" TCU has one now and how soon can we we expect SMU to get one because their own neighbor down the turnpike has one? UNT is one of 10 Lone Star State-based NCAA D1-A schools and we best find some semblance of a recruiting advantage I think most would agree.

Actually, I feel another reason we need this indoor facility is because Southlake Carroll (for heaven's sake) has one. :blink: Don't we need to give Todd Dodge a minimum of what he had at his former Texas HS coaching gig? :unsure: Also, we have a football stadium now (opening up a can a worms with that, I know :) ) but we don't have an indoor practice facility.

FWIW and for those who have forgotten :rolleyes: , we have terribly hot August/September (& some October) weather 'round these parts of which TCU's Coach Patterson felt took its toll on his players in some of the Frog's early games. Patterson also said he would still work out his team in hot weather, too, as to get them well conditioned to be able to handle the heat as he said he felt it gave his team some advantages when schools who were not used to such heat came down here to Texas for September and even some early October games when it would still be sultry.

If we need to raise $40-$50 million for a new stadium, maybe raising $5-$7 million now for an indoor facility would merely be a Whitman Sampler of things to come?

I still think some creative planning by upper echelon UNT leaders could get some state approval (funding?) if an indoor facility were built to also be used by UNT students and the Green Brigade marching band as well. After all, our football team would not be using such a facility non-stop now would they?

IMHO, we will need such an indoor facility in time whether we have a new stadium or not in the next 2 years. It just makes sense for us to give this coaching staff every advantage we can give them. Should have done this indoor facility thing for the previous coaching staff FWIW.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I cant see it. I think UNT is going to say the Mean Green Village with it's dedicated practice fields out back IS the practice facility. Other than recruitment, I really dont even see THAT big of an advantage of an indoor practice facility is in DFW. Big schools up North need them because of the cold weather. Yes, I know, it's hot here, but its bearable for practice come the fall season. To me, Fouts just gives the impression alone that we dont take our football program seriously. I'd wait on the practice facility to get a new stadium down the road. I know several people that wont bother going to UNT games or even some of the Denton HS games just because Fouts, with its poor views and pain in the ass parking are such a beating.

I cant see it. I think UNT is going to say the Mean Green Village with it's dedicated practice fields out back IS the practice facility. Other than recruitment, I really dont even see THAT big of an advantage of an indoor practice facility is in DFW. Big schools up North need them because of the cold weather. Yes, I know, it's hot here, but its bearable for practice come the fall season. To me, Fouts just gives the impression alone that we dont take our football program seriously. I'd wait on the practice facility to get a new stadium down the road. I know several people that wont bother going to UNT games or even some of the Denton HS games just because Fouts, with its poor views and pain in the ass parking are such a beating.

UNT has pain in the ass parking? Please explain. Most gameday experiences I've been to (outside Denton) would give their right arm to have our parking "problems".

I think all the D1 schools in Texas but Rice and UNT have indoor practice fields. The practice season starts in Aug. The dedicated practice fields can not be used when it rains in the spring or fall.

RV told the boys in 2004 that they would have an indoor practice before the 2006 season.

If the weather is bearable come on down when workouts start in July at 3:30-5:30 PM and see how long you last.

Denton HS has not played a game on Fouts for the last 3 years that I know about.

Edited by PHSCoach

I think all the D1 schools in Texas but Rice and UNT have indoor practice fields.

I dont believe Baylor has one either, however, they are in the process of building a $25M new athetic complex that I believe will contain a 'state of the art' practice facility. But yes we are one of the sad few that do not have one or even the works of having one, or even the money to have one :(

If the weather is bearable come on down when workouts start in July at 3:30-5:30 PM and see how long you last.

And the 100+ degree heat wearing all that gear. Im sure some feel like they're seriously going to die.

UNT has pain in the ass parking? Please explain. Most gameday experiences I've been to (outside Denton) would give their right arm to have our parking "problems".

Miner is so, so right. Our parking is a dream, and that's a problem. The goal ought to be that my wife and I will no longer be able to do what we've done for years: show up 3 hours before game time, park at one of the meter spaces outside the Superpit, and walk the, say, 400 yards or so to the pregame field.

In other words, we need to create a pain in the ass parking situation where every space, vacant lot, and yard for a half-mile in every direction is full.

Besides, my guess is that if the head football coach makes it plain that he absolutely must have an indoor practice facility or his players will get the vapors and his top recruits turn him down, he'll get one. I have confidence in his ability to prioritize the needs.

I dont believe Baylor has one either, however, they are in the process of building a $25M new athetic complex that I believe will contain a 'state of the art' practice facility. But yes we are one of the sad few that do not have one or even the works of having one, or even the money to have one :(

And the 100+ degree heat wearing all that gear. Im sure some feel like they're seriously going to die.

Just to add to that: UTEP doesn't have one. The heat here is different, though. Still hot, but different. My own perception: the humidity in Dallas wears you down and makes the day feel 'heavy'. In contrast, the heat in El Paso really burns through your skin. It feels as if the sun is making a personal point to fry any one standing in its direct line of sight.

Very simple, but nice.

TCU Indoor Practice

Thanks for the link...

Seems I recall seeing a photo of another practice facility at another school that looked like a large air-filled dome. It looked quite impressive from an (exterior) visual standpoint, too.

I also recall that (at one point) former NT Coach DD was upset that he didn't have an indoor practice facility that (apparenty) he had been led to believe would become a reality during his tenure in Denton.

Once recalled (jokingly) tellling another poster/fellow alum on this board back in the early 1980's that by the time NT finally got artificial turf that eveyone else would start going back to natural grass. I wish I had only been wrong about that. :huh:

FWIW...........can UNT keep being about 10 years behind everyone else as far as Texas-based D1-A football schools are concerned with NCAA D1-A football physical plant trends and improvements if we are truly going to try to be a player at the highest level of intercollegiate football competition--both in the Lone Star State and beyond?

IMO, TCU's looks nicer inside than outside. Hopefully if UNT ever built one of these indoor facilities that the exterior would look just as nice as the interior; especially to those 60,000+ commuters who would be passing by it daily on I35-E and I35-W.

According to one TCU'er I spoke to several days ago, the Horned Frogs have already received some impressive early football committments based (almost) entirely on their new indoor practice facility. I suppose such new recruits actually know where they will most likely spend more time during football season compared to a football stadium.

UNT is truly very blessed to have all that acreage (between 2 Texas interstates) that was formerly our golf course that we now call the Mean Green Village. (Heck, word I keep hearing is that there is enough land out there to even build a new football stadium one day). :thumbsup:

I really think such a facility similar to TCU's (and others) will be on Todd Dodges list of priorities because most all other Texas D1-A schools have one (or will be getting one). So in essence, I don't think this would be considered one of those "keeping up with the Joneses" type of things, but rather one of those "we gotta' have one of these to compete with other

NCAA D1-A schools" sorta' things instead.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I would like to see the new stadium be built and Fouts surface and track turned into an indoor facility.

dingdingdingdingdingdingding.... we have a winner in the best idea to date catagory.

Surely, it would cost less than $7,000,000 to tear down the stands and end zone bleachers and add

a soft dome over the existing field and track. Far less construction time too.

Now if I could only come up with that remaining $60,000,000. <_<

We're not just "keepin' up with the Joneses" when if comes to Texas schools either...we've gotta keep up with Sun Belt schools, ULL is in the process of building one.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/acadiana/7347431.html

What a refreshing concept: Talk turned into action ......................from the Rajun Cajuns.

Great link find, Emmitt........................ and yes, we now have a Sun Belt school (not its largest, either) who has taken the lead in this part of the facilities arms race.

One very reliable senior poster on this board told me several years ago that there were anywhere from (I believe he said) 14 to 17 of our wealthiest who would each dedicate $1,000,000 toward a new stadium; well, maybe this whole idea of an indoor facility (for basketball, too) may now have become our biggest immediate need that would help us recruit the kind of kids that would help us fill our (eventual) new football stadium out at Eagle Point Campus as well as the Super Pit. No matter how you slice it, our new football stadium is still going to need a T. Boone Pickens type of donor to get that project jump-started (and probably) built.

Nice home for Rajun Cajun basketball team, too. Very interesting....Would love to see the blue prints on ULL's facility and how much all that cost.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

In case it hasn't come up... I have been perplexed by the impatience of the football fans to get a new stadium, especially since we barely pulled in 9,000 for the final home game of 2006.

UNT has been putting a lot of money towards new construction on campus. You know... things that contribute to the education of the students!

That said, we all know the new stadium is coming. They didn't buy all that land west of 35 just to have tennis courts and an unused golf course. However, big beautiful multi-million dollar stadiums have no place on a campus that isn't providing the best facilities for its students. That's where the priorities are, and we're just about there! The makeover of the campus over the past couple years has been astounding. It looks so much better than when I first toured it just 7 years ago.

I want a new stadium just as much as anybody, but a sparkling new stadium on an ugly campus is like lipstick on a pig. I think in 1 or 2 years, the university will be ready to unveil the new stadium.

What a refreshing concept: Talk turned into action ......................from the Rajun Cajuns.

Great link find, Emmitt........................ and yes, we now have a Sun Belt school (not its largest, either) who has taken the lead in this part of the facilities arms race.

One very reliable senior poster on this board told me several years ago that there were anywhere from (I believe he said) 14 to 17 of our wealthiest who would each dedicate $1,000,000 toward a new stadium; well, maybe this whole idea of an indoor facility (for basketball, too) may now have become our biggest immediate need that would help us recruit the kind of kids that would help us fill our (eventual) new football stadium out at Eagle Point Campus as well as the Super Pit. No matter how you slice it, our new football stadium is still going to need a T. Boone Pickens type of donor to get that project jump-started (and probably) built.

Nice home for Rajun Cajun basketball team, too. Very interesting....Would love to see the blue prints on ULL's facility and how much all that cost.

For more info on the Cajuns facility visit www.raginpagin.com There is a long thread on the facility with lots of pictures. It will have an airconditioned basketball annex; but the football portion will not be climate controlled. More than anything its to get us out of the rain since we get quite a bit down there. I'm pretty sure the cost was under $5M (3.5 comes to mind); so if we can do it, I'm sure you guys can too.

Shof

I think all the D1 schools in Texas but Rice and UNT have indoor practice fields. The practice season starts in Aug. The dedicated practice fields can not be used when it rains in the spring or fall.

RV told the boys in 2004 that they would have an indoor practice before the 2006 season.

Denton HS has not played a game on Fouts for the last 3 years that I know about.

Ok well so RV pushed the truth envelope a bit on the indoor practice field. Par for the course. But my question to you is which would you rather have at this point? A new stadium or a new indoor practice facility. Which gives the best return on investment for NT? Which is the more pressing need? If you're asking me it is the Stadium. With a new stadium I think you get the double benefit of better recruits who see a true committment to moving the program forward and with the fans who would previously not go the dump formerly known as fouts field. A covered practice field gives you only marginally (maybe) better recruits and has no impact on more fans showing up to games. Also you just put yourself that much further behind in building the stadium, as we are well aware funds are scarce at this point. So which is it?

Ok well so RV pushed the truth envelope a bit on the indoor practice field. Par for the course. But my question to you is which would you rather have at this point? A new stadium or a new indoor practice facility. Which gives the best return on investment for NT? Which is the more pressing need? If you're asking me it is the Stadium. With a new stadium I think you get the double benefit of better recruits who see a true committment to moving the program forward and with the fans who would previously not go the dump formerly known as fouts field. A covered practice field gives you only marginally (maybe) better recruits and has no impact on more fans showing up to games. Also you just put yourself that much further behind in building the stadium, as we are well aware funds are scarce at this point. So which is it?

Stan that is a tough question.

I think that the recruits would be more impressed with the indoor practice field. I know the current players would be. The players spend a little over 450 hours a year on the practice field and or weight room. Most of them will have evening classes that start at 6:30 so if it is raining they cannot wait until it stops to start practice or they will miss class. The playing field is in great shape and that is what the boys are most interested in on game day.

Now don’t think I’m saying that they wouldn’t like a new stadium. But if only 15,000 to 17,000 fans are at the game, it wouldn’t make any difference to them. I have been to several basketball games that are played in a nice gym and only saw maybe 1,000 fans in the seats.

Be it a new stadium or Fouts Field the max will still be about 30,000 fans. All of the boys loved playing at LSU in 05 because of the 100,000 fans at the game. The recruits know that they will be playing to the smaller crowds but with the workout facilities we could compete with the non-bcs schools.