Hoops Prospect

Cooley

If Collin Dennis is as advertised - this Goffney could really compliment him well ala KD and Watson. Still hoping for some guys in the paint.

Same here on the guys in the paint. If we don't sign someone to develop this year we're going to have to hope to sign an impact guy who is ready to play in 08-09. I won't hold my breath for that...

Tell me NT extended JJ's contract for HOW LONG?

And tell me WHY?

We haven't officially extended it to my knowledge...the negotiations are still going on. Some of us are starting to be concerned that may be why our class is so weak, JJ's attention is divided.

Who can say, but this is really nuts. Jones has always been good at bringing in kids when we had mediocre seasons, and now we have a very good year and we can't land anyone.

We haven't officially extended it to my knowledge...the negotiations are still going on. Some of us are starting to be concerned that may be why our class is so weak, JJ's attention is divided.

Who can say, but this is really nuts. Jones has always been good at bringing in kids when we had mediocre seasons, and now we have a very good year and we can't land anyone.

At this point I would prefer no extension. An extension at this point obviously isn't going to help with recruiting, which is the main argument for giving the extension. Maybe add an incentive for another NCAA trip or the like, but this is absolutely ridiculous that our coaches haven't taken advantage of the biggest advantage UNT has possibly ever had for recruiting. JJ's strength was never his game coaching or developing players, but in recruiting. Now he can't do that, and we have even lost one of the most heralded recruits in school history in Flemings.

Tell me NT extended JJ's contract for HOW LONG?

And tell me WHY?

Excellent question GreenBat! Where are the recruits, especially after reaching the NCAA's. A five year extension is just crazy. What is RV thinking? If RV signs JJ to a five year deal, it'll be right up there with the boneheaded Slinker extension. RV could be a real problem for us.

Things my not be as dire as it seems. Truth is we don't really know who we're after. We didn't even know about this kid till 24 hours ago. I'm not being opimistic here, because I'm pretty disappointed about all of this, but basically we're in stealth recruiting mode.

Things my not be as dire as it seems. Truth is we don't really know who we're after. We didn't even know about this kid till 24 hours ago. I'm not being opimistic here, because I'm pretty disappointed about all of this, but basically we're in stealth recruiting mode.

I thought we decided to quit doing that last fall?

From Vito/DRC:

Mean Green Blog

April 24, 2007

New hoops prospect

A new name has emerged on the UNT men's basketball recruiting front following the news that shooting guard Kevin Goffney has committed to Chattanooga.

Adam McCoy, a 6-4 shooting guard from Mesa Community College in Arizona, is on the Mean Green's radar, according to a source close to the situation.

McCoy averaged 18.4 points, 4.0 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 1.3 steals a game last year for Mesa and is from the area. He played for Arlington Oakridge.

McCoy was a second team All-Arizona Community College Athletic Conference selection last season and appears as if he would fit the Mean Green's needs. UNT is still looking for someone who can play the small forward spot and fill the role left by Calvin Watson. South Florida transfer Collin Dennis seems destined to take Kendrick Davis' spot at shooting guard.

In other basketball news, UNT women's coach Tina Slinker said Tuesday that Ashley Vation has left the program. Vation was a highly regarded recruit when she arrived at UNT, but never really developed and played sparingly the last two seasons.

The following is a link to McCoy's page on the Mesa Web site:

http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/athletics/athle...sket/mccoy.html

Edited by NT80

IMHO, JJ is still one of the better coaches that UNT has had since the 60's.

He still has a strong nucleus of players, including the kid transfering from South Florida, that can win the SBC again. If ya'll have been reading what the players have been saying after the NCAA game about winning the Belt again to go back to the NCAA there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that JJ can repeat again this season.

Again, IMHO, JJ has improved the play every season since he has been here and still comes highly recommended by Bill Blakely and his former college coach who was with him during the SBC tournament and NCAA.

For one I am glad that he is getting a 5 year extention because it would be extremely difficult to find someone of this quality.

You have to remember that UNT is in the SBC not the Big 12 or Pac 12.....I believe that we have crossed the line of parity in the SBC last year.

Coach Jones has been great at identifying talent and keeping it in his tenure. My own memories of coaches only dates back to Gales, so I'm not the most qualified to rank him. I will say, though we've had plenty of end games decisions I've disagreed with, and some end of campaign swoons - I do think the guy can coach. And maybe more importantly he seems to appreciate being at NT.

I am very hopeful about next season with all we have coming back. I do worry that we aren't developing enough young guys. JJ really likes grabbing transfers, which makes nearly every recruiting class pivotal. I hope we can land more HS players in the future.