Jankovic Gets Another Head Coaching Job

Congrats to coach Jankvich.

Jank might be the first ever football or basketball North Texas head coach to be hired as a head coach by another Division I school after being fired by North Texas. Can anyone think of anyone else? Hayden Fry and Jerry Moore left voluntarily.

Maybe Jank wasn't fired.

Cut and Paste from Lawrence Ks newspaper:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jankovich landed his first head-coaching job at North Texas in 1993. He compiled a 53-57 record in four seasons, resigning to take the head-coaching job at Hutchinson CC in 1978.

"When I got there (North Texas), I thought it was a diamond of a job," Jankovich said, "and I think I was right."

The job description changed, however, with a new athletic director forcing Jankovich to schedule nine guarantee games against powerhouse schools in order to raise money. Guarantee games normally mean losses for schools like North Texas.

"After my fourth year I looked at the situation. I had three years left on my contract and he scheduled nine out of 10 guarantee games," Jankovich said. "We changed conferences (from Southland into Sun Belt) and were still a Southland team. That's why I went to Hutch.

"I talked to a lot of people I think highly of, coach (Roy) Williams and coach (Eddie) Sutton and some others. I said, ‘Here's my dilemma. I can stay here, but don't see any chance of success.' People I respect told me I had to leave. Sure enough, they won 20 games the next four years and the coach and athletic director were replaced."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We changed conferences (from Southland into Sun Belt) (Jank meant Big West...BJ) and were still a Southland team." This is sure the truth. North Texas went 10-16 (5-11 Big West) in his one Big West season. If you take out the OOC wins over Mary Hardin Baylor, Norfolk St, and Phillips and add three Trilli-type road losses to high major programs, Jank's record (7-19) looks like a typical Trilli season.

Edited by Buford_Julep

Congrats to coach Jankvich.

Jank might be the first ever football or basketball North Texas head coach to be hired as a head coach by another Division I school after being fired by North Texas. Can anyone think of anyone else? Hayden Fry and Jerry Moore left voluntarily.

Jank is the only one I can think of. I know the ultimate journeyman Rod Rust was H.C. at New England and in the CFL after leaving North Texas. Not sure if he was forced out or officially fired.