Slinker Returning Next Year

flyeater

Posted March 19, 2007

Job incentive laid out for Slinker

UNT women’s basketball coach Tina Slinker will return for a 19th season, but beyond that is uncertain.

By TROY PHILLIPS

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

North Texas women’s basketball coach Tina Slinker will return for a 19th season in 2007-2008, athletic director Rick Villarreal said Sunday.

Slinker, whose team finished 9-20 this season, has a year remaining on her contract and will receive an automatic extension through 2010-2011 if UNT makes the NCAA Tournament next season.

It’s uncertain if UNT will retain Slinker if her team doesn’t win the Sun Belt Conference tournament or get to the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team. In Slinker’s 18 seasons (227-269), UNT has not made the NCAAs but has been in the WNIT twice.

“[Making the NCAAs] is what Rick wants, and that’s okay,” Slinker said. “That’s the incentive for an automatic extension. I don’t think that means if we we just win the West [conference division] or win 22 games that that won’t get an extension. That’s what was presented to me.”

If necessary, UNT and Slinker will cross that bridge next year.

“Basically, all I’ll say is that she’s got a year left on her contract,” Villarreal said. “We’re not doing anything [beyond 2007-2008]. She’ll be back coaching, and my expectations and her expectations for the coming year are the same. We need to improve and move the program forward.”

UNT won 19 games two seasons ago but had growing pains this year trying to bring along a young team. Sophomore forward Amber Jackson and freshman guard Brittney James emerged as the team’s best players and could put UNT back on track.

Slinker, 51, has coached 26 years combined at the college and high school levels. She struggled her first 10 years at UNT, going 104-163. The past eight years, UNT is 123-106 and has won four conference division titles. In 2002, UNT reached the Sun Belt Conference tournament championship game.

If she remains at UNT, Slinker will be eligible for retirement at 56 after the 2011-2012 season, based her college-level time worked, including a year as a Texas Tech assistant in 1988-89.

Slinker said she wants UNT to be her last job, but not as a means of reaching retirement.

“I’d love to do what Johnny just accomplished,” Slinker said of men’s coach Johnny Jones and his team’s run to the NCAA Tournament. “Because of the years I’ve invested in the program and what UNT has done for me, I’m trying my best to accomplish that. The men showed it can be done at UNT.”

Troy Phillips, (817) 390-7760

tphillips@star-telegram.com

Edited by flyeater

“I’d love to do what Johnny just accomplished,” Slinker said of men’s coach Johnny Jones and his team’s run to the NCAA Tournament. “Because of the years I’ve invested in the program and what UNT has done for me, I’m trying my best to accomplish that. The men showed it can be done at UNT.”

Invested? Seems like she's coasted for 18 years and gotten away with it.

It's put up or shut up time now...big thanks to RV for finally holding Slinker accountable. I never wish our teams to lose, but I still don't want another Slinker contract extension. It's time for some fresh blood to take over this program.

Edited by JayDub

Hey, there's gray area in there, for her to return even if she doesn't go to the NCAA tournament. Personally, at this point, the standard SHOULD BE ....go to the NCAA tourney, or you're gone. Unfortunately, the way I read that article, there's wiggle room.

Hey, there's gray area in there, for her to return even if she doesn't go to the NCAA tournament. Personally, at this point, the standard SHOULD BE ....go to the NCAA tourney, or you're gone. Unfortunately, the way I read that article, there's wiggle room.

She must be awfully confident that she can win it all next year. It certainly won't hurt if they're not on the road for damn near 2 months again.

Yes, there is a gray area, but this is the first time I have seen to expectations of one of our programs stated publicly. Clearly the message is that it is now time to produce. I think RV and the university have just seen how beneficial being in the NCAA's is to the school and the program.

It's interesting; traditionally, coaches with a year left on a contract are either re-upped or cut loose. Basically, coach Slinker is agreeing to be held accountable and not making noise (publicly, that is) that Rick is being unreasonable or unrealistic. If she's truly on board with this, as I suspect, then I have a lot of respect for her. If the team can grow up a little bit and play like they're capable, no reason why UNT can't get her to that three-year extension. Personally, I'd hate to see her kicked to the curb at 52. She's a cool person, too.

The odds against Slinker's team making the NCAA's are astronomical. This is a much better WBB league than MBB. I think NT is missing a great chance to make a move in WBB, there is a lot of talent coming back next year and a new coach might be able to compete with the best in the Belt. There is nothing in TS's 18 years to make me believe that she is suddenly going to develop a championship team. The bold move would have been to make a change this year. I think that the team with TS as coach could very well win 18 games next season. Do you really think RV is going to terminate TS after 19 years with a 18-11 record?

Twelve years ago would be right in the middle of Helwig's tenure I believe.

Different environment back then, especially at smaller programs. Women's basketball didn't get a shred of the funding men's did, so coaches were given a longer leash. Over time, though, TS proved she could win games and even get a team to a postseason. People here judge her with different bar heights, so only speaking for myself. Go get it done, coach, and good luck.

I equate this situation to real life....if you are at a job and maybe you're not producing as much as you probably should or can and all of your minions and people lower see it but the higher ups do not.....however if the higher ups still keep on extending your contract and dont fire you.....are you the hell ever going to leave? HELL FREAKING NO!!!! I dont blame Slinker one bit for sticking around because people have not taken that job away from her. These days womens sports do have a little more funding and therefore causes more pressure so I think thats why it is time we raise our standards. I love the fact that Slinker is up for the challenge because I heard this all year that this was a really really young and inexperienced team that will blossom next year and the year after that. I would think there may be some truth to that because I mean hell the school has done a lot for womens athletics the last few years and the fact that we do have a nice arena to show for it. If she puts up then she will keep her job....if she wont then she's probably gone. I love that attiude from all the levels of the athletic department. I'm really hoping she can capitalize on the success and exposure the athletics department has recieved as of the last few months and lead the ladies to the womens tourney.

Slinker is just like Dickey. Both stood by while the rest of the conference got better and passed them by. She's a nice person, but can't coach a lick. If we were serious about women's basketball she should have been shown the door by now.