25 Worst D-1 College Mascots

NT80

----Great Stuff--... Personally I hate those dumb blowups things such as the Nebraska one shown. All they can do is just stand there and look stupid.

----Stanford's is so bad it is funny especially if you read the story about it. They were forced a few years ago to change the mascot to Cardinals instead of Indians and I'll bet this showed up as a bit of protest to the change.

----I would move the Buckeye up... really dumb looking....not even funny.. at least Southern Illinios is funny..... and likely can get the crowd to react.

----The comments about Xavier is the best (comment)..

----George Mason's.... they are Patroits and this "thing" looks kid-friendly and funny for basketball games and could do looney things, more than a patroit guy could....

-How could the Horned-frog be overlooked???... it is awful..

----Stanford's is so bad it is funny especially if you read the story about it. They were forced a few years ago to change the mascot to Cardinals instead of Indians and I'll bet this showed up as a bit of protest to the change.

I thought this was incorrect, because I had always remembered them as the Cardinal, so I did a little research. Here is what I found.

Stanford Cardinal History

Interesting that the change occurred in 1972 long before the current NCAA ban was even thought about. Also interesting that The Tree is part of the band and not the official mascot of Stanford.

I thought this was incorrect, because I had always remembered them as the Cardinal, so I did a little research. Here is what I found.

Stanford Cardinal History

Interesting that the change occurred in 1972 long before the current NCAA ban was even thought about. Also interesting that The Tree is part of the band and not the official mascot of Stanford.

--Interesting... So Stanford really has no mascot, just a color.... The tree that the band uses is the symbol of the city of Palo Alto (where Stanford is located).

---I think the name change had something to do with the Alcatrez take-over when Indians occupied the Island for about two years from 1969-1971 and protested all sorts of things including cartoonish College Logos. Stanford which was not far away and changed their name long before the NCAA action. Several colleges about this time also did away with Confederate symbols as well. UT-Arlington was once Rebels as well then changed to Mavericks and hated the NBA club for taking THEIR name. Sometime we old geezers actually remember the past and understand how things got to this point. The Stanford band (and Rice band) have always marched to a different beat... Rice once constantly irritated the Aggies. My favorite was their formation of a fireplug as a tribute to Revelle (the Aggie dog).

http://siouxme.com/lodge/alcatraz_np.html

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

The surprise to me in this tournament was to hear Oral Roberts called "Golden Eagles"... They were once TITANS... guess they thought a Greek God reference did not fit the school image very well.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

The University of Idaho's mascot is Joe Vandal, a viking-like character. Which the athletic department made ultra-gay when they turned him into a 12ft tall blow up doll. The only thing the person inside could do was waddle around the field, with his head flopping about. Despite repeated protests from the student body, Joe "Blow" Vandal lasted 2 seasons before someone popped him with a blow dart. I'm not kidding.

R.I.P. Joe "Blow" Vandal

:lol:

RIck

Funny stuff!

Back when I was in HS at Northwest, during my Junior year, me and a buddy found a form in the trash from some company in Dallas that made mascot costumes. I don't know if the principal/cheerleader people had thrown it away or whatever, but it said that if you submitted a rough sketch of the costume you wanted, they would make a mock-up for you to consider for purchase for your school's cheerleader squad.

Anyway, I thought it would be funny to redesign the mascot for Northwest as a joke. We took NHS colors and drew an engorged tick with a gladiator helmet, sword, and shield, a big "T" on its chest, called it "Tommy the Tick", and mentioned that NHS's mascot were the "Terrible Ticks".

We mailed off the pamphlet, and promptly forgot about it.

Until a couple of months later when the school received a $600 bill, and a phone call from the company in Dallas trying to get approval to go ahead with the costume, as they had already completed the "head" for the school's approval.

We both got a call from Gene Pike (the NHS principal at the time) and my friend--who started worrying that the repercussions from our stunt would "ruin my entrance into college"--bailed on me, so I took the fall for the whole episode. I didn't care, and went down to take my medicine.

I told him it was a joke. Gene thought it was pretty funny, and laughed his ass off--although he gave me an earful--and said: "Jim, I think we'll stick with the Texan for awhile." :lol:

Edited by LongJim

The surprise to me in this tournament was to hear Oral Roberts called "Golden Eagles"... They were once TITANS... guess they thought a Greek God reference did not fit the school image very well.

From the Oral Roberts University website:

"ORU Mascots: ORU's athletic teams are known as the Golden Eagles, a change which became effective on April 30, 1993. Originally, ORU's nicknames were the Titans for men and the Lady Titans for women. These monikers were adopted in 1965 by a vote of the student body, many of whom were from the East Coast or were either casual or serious New York Titan (now known as Jets) football fans. The nicknames endured until 1993, when a search for a new nickname was concluded with the selection of the Golden Eagles. ORU's new mascot hatched out of its papier-mache egg on Nov. 17, 1993, before the start of an exhibition basketball game. With this unveiling, the Golden Eagle nickname became the official symbol of a new era in ORU athletics. In 1995, ORU's mascot underwent even more changes. The generic golden eagle evolved into the animated Eli, a golden eagle with characteristics all his own. Oral Roberts University's golden eagle is now not only more attractive, but it can also be distinguished from the golden eagle mascots at other universities."