Mean Green 2007 Fb Schedule Finalized

Harry

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason that we got another 3/4 this year instead of the 4/3 that we were entitiled to is splitting the Florida schedule so that we go to Florida only once in a year. Florida International would have been scheduled to come here this year, giving us our sixth home game.

Next year, WKU will be a member, giving us 4/4. Our home games are Louisiana-Lafayette, Troy, Arkansas State and Florida International. Our away games would be Florida Atlantic, Louisiana-Montoe, Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky. We know that we will get Miami (FL) away. Unless we are able to flip-flop the schedule, we should be away at some MAC school. That would give us six away games and leave no room for another money game. Then we would need two home games. My guess is that one will be a 1-AA and the other a regional school (Louisiana Tech, Rice, Houston, Tulsa).

I think that Navy this year will be a sellout and, if we do well this year, Troy will be a sellout next year. Even without great schedules I'll be disappointed if we don't average 23-25,000 each year.

Why will we be playing at ASU for the 2nd year in a row when they have 6 home games scheduled ? That game could just as easily have been at Fouts by changing home teams. Still say our conference schedule doesn't make sense. :angry:

Edited by MeanGreen61

The reason that we got another 3/4 this year instead of the 4/3 that we were entitiled to is splitting the Florida schedule so that we go to Florida only once in a year. Florida International would have been scheduled to come here this year, giving us our sixth home game.

Next year, WKU will be a member, giving us 4/4. Our home games are Louisiana-Lafayette, Troy, Arkansas State and Florida International. Our away games would be Florida Atlantic, Louisiana-Montoe, Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky. We know that we will get Miami (FL) away. Unless we are able to flip-flop the schedule, we should be away at some MAC school. That would give us six away games and leave no room for another money game. Then we would need two home games. My guess is that one will be a 1-AA and the other a regional school (Louisiana Tech, Rice, Houston, Tulsa).

I think that Navy this year will be a sellout and, if we do well this year, Troy will be a sellout next year. Even without great schedules I'll be disappointed if we don't average 23-25,000 each year.

As for 2008, it was in the paper a few weeks ago....that we go to Kansas State. And as for the MAC....I think our Navy game this year may fulfill that contract, since we took the place of Navy going to Bowling Green. (Originally the MAC deal was four games, but I wouldn't be surprised if the final two are cancelled by agreement from both sides).

And as to your 3/4 thought that this is so we break up the Florida games.....why should we be penalized by this league, which shouldn't have been sending to Miami twice in the same year....anyway.

Guest GrayEagleOne

As for 2008, it was in the paper a few weeks ago....that we go to Kansas State. And as for the MAC....I think our Navy game this year may fulfill that contract, since we took the place of Navy going to Bowling Green. (Originally the MAC deal was four games, but I wouldn't be surprised if the final two are cancelled by agreement from both sides).

And as to your 3/4 thought that this is so we break up the Florida games.....why should we be penalized by this league, which shouldn't have been sending to Miami twice in the same year....anyway.

I'm still trying to figure how we went to Middle Tennessee two years running (2002-03)when it wasn't necessary. Or how we missed Troy completely until their second year in the conference.

I think that you are right about the MAC agreement. I'd forgotten about the K-State deal; that gives our second money game and eliminates the MAC committment.

As to the Florida games, that would be true concerning football but basketball and other sports may be involved as well. This change would just duplicate the previous year's schedule. Also, it would have had either FIU or FAU to come here two straight years if they had applied it to football only. I guess the league office thought better for us to lose the home field one year than FIU to visit us twice.

---This is not rocket science. Wasn't the '05 and '06 schedules exactly opposite on conference games... ?? Now we add Western Kentucky and we need to split up the Florida travel so they start over for '07 and '08. The conference schedules are worked up in pairs (two years at a time) without paying much attention to the previous two years.... It works out in the long run. Yes we have one home game in the first five.. BUT SMU is not that far away so is almost like a home game as far as fans are concerned (except for kids in dorms without transportation).

---I wish we could show up with 20,000 at SMU... did you see the basketball turn-out by our "rabid" students for a team that just won 20 games and is moving on and has a chance to get to the NCAA. tournament..??.... AWFUL..... I am no longer optimistic about that SMU attendence any more. I make a couple of football games every year from 325 miles away and they can't even walk across campus.... disgusting... if they have exams or whatever due the next day..... ok ....but most just stayed home or went to the all-important Greek meeting.

---Several teams now owe us return visits, they will appear in the future... have faith.

---Ever get the feeling I am tired of HEARING from various sourses (and in person) about how poorly UNT students and alums support the university ?????? Maybe we don't need a new stadium if that is all the support we can muster up in a fine basketball building for a very meaningful game.....

Ladies and Gents, all of your complaints need to be directed in one direction and one direction only...current NT students and NT alumni. Don't like having only 5 home games? Tell people to support their school. Don't like the Sun Belt? Tell people to support their school. Don't like only 1 home game in the first 5? Tell people to support their school. Wanna play a more "attractive" schedule? Yep, tell people to support their school. A football program with an average attendance of 15-17,000 is not working from a position of power when it comes to scheduling. We are not financially solvent enough to make demands yet. If we sold out Fouts consistently...or even came close...home games would be money making events and we could say "no thanks" to contracts that didn't suit our best interests. If we sold out Fouts consistently leagues like CUSA would knock on our door instead of vice versa (and YES Screaming Eagle 66 is dead on when he says students and alumni failed our basketball program on Wednesday, even the Greeks). We sit here and whine and complain ad nauseum about wanting a new stadium, wanting a new conference, wanting respect or wanting better schedules. Let's put a better product in the stands and we'll get a better product on the field. Our fellow alumni (unless you don't make it to games and then I'm talking about you too)and students are failing us!

While I'm typing here I guess I'll get into Plumm territory and go long with it. I've seen complaints about advertising from time to time. When was the last time that you, personally, did something to advertise a game. At the beginning of the year in years past there has been a group of alumni who have gone business to business, door to door, putting up schedule posters so that Dentonites can't say they didn't know there was a game. Talons catches flak for not doing enough on this same front. Current Talons on the board (and please correct me if I'm off point on this) when was the last time you had yard signs made and put them out on campus? Or had door hangers made a week prior to the game so that they were on every dormitory door by Wednesday of game week? I only ask because I know FOR A FACT that it has been done in the past...without the benefit of student service fees. That's your job! The whole "ensure a continuing atmosphere of spirit and service to the University of North Texas" motto is far more than just paying it lip service. Go the extra mile.

Folks, I know that this board represents the proverbial "choir" and that preaching to all of you is an exercise in redundancy and may even come across as borderline offensive but I am a firm believer in the old adage that 'if you're not a part of the solution you're a part of the problem' when it comes to NT athletics. We all know this program is gonna grow incrementally. We have the power to make it grow exponentially though. I just can't help but get excited when I think about that.

Edited by emmitt01

About time they got the schedule released. <_<

I saw the blerb in the DMN this morning.

AND I AM OFF ON 9/8 AND WILL GO TO THE NT @SMU GAME! :D

Wife wants to go too. I told her I don't care if it is rain, hurricane, tornado, blizzard, or if Jesus Christ appears at the 50 yard line before the game to start the Rapture and Apocolypse...we are staying for the game. :lol::lol:

NT80-

You think that an OOC schedule of Oklahoma, Arkansas, SMU and Navy is lower tier D1A???? Even if you add WKU (D-1AA), which is moving to the SBC, it is still a great schedule in my book and "not" a lower tier D-1A schedule as you say.

"Overall" it is a lower tier 1-A schedule ONLY because of the SBC portion. OU, Ark, SMUt, and Navy games are fine. It's the SBC games, and quasi 1-AA WKU game that we need to upgrade. Never be satisfied with being in the SBC. We must continue the push for CUSA membership. To say otherwise is like being happy in the Southland forever.

I think this is a good schedule to kick off Dodge Ball!

Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Navy will be nationally ranked in 2007.

These are quality programs that will play NT! There are more top teams

in the future, which NT will play--K State,Miami,Clemson,Air Force!

These teams and scheduling are great for NT!

How great will it be to knock off one or more of these teams!

The Sunbelt may not be the greatest conference right now, but, the

SBC is getting better. The Sunbelt has a bowl tie-in, and the last 2 years,

2 SBC teams went to bowl games. So for now, I say keep playing the

big boys and knock as many as we can, have a winning program,

WIN the SBC, and maybe one day, get a BCS bowl game!

If Bosie State can do it, so can NT!

9/1 @ OU

9/8 @SMU

9/22 FLA ATLANTIC

9/29 @ ARKANSAS

10/6 @ LOUISANA LAFAYETTE

10/13 LOUISIANA MONROE

10/20 @ TROY

10/27 MUTS

11/10 NAVY

11/15 @ARKY STATE

11/24 WESTERN KENTUCKY

12/1 @ FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL

What gives with 5 home games instead of 6? I'm sure this has to happen to someone, but didnt we do this last year also?

In the first 5 weeks of the season, we get 1 home game.

Season ticket holders really got the shaft on this one. 5 home games on a 12 game schedule, one of which is on a busy (travel) holiday weekend.

Don't like having only 5 home games? Tell people to support their school. Don't like the Sun Belt? Tell people to support their school. Don't like only 1 home game in the first 5? Tell people to support their school.

I just checked meangreensports.com and it shows us with SIX home games this year instead of the five shown in the schedule Harry originally posted. The one change is the game against Louisiana Lafayette, which will be a home game according to the website. That gives us six home games and two of those within the first five games of the season...not ideal (when compared to the big schools who play the first four games at home), but hopefully addresses the concerns many of us had with playing only one home game in the first five weeks of the season. In fact, we should get on a pretty good SBC roll by playing our first three (and four of the first five) conference games at home.

2007-08 UNT Football Schedule

Ladies and Gents, all of your complaints need to be directed in one direction and one direction only...current NT students and NT alumni. Don't like having only 5 home games? Tell people to support their school. Don't like the Sun Belt? Tell people to support their school. Don't like only 1 home game in the first 5? Tell people to support their school. Wanna play a more "attractive" schedule? Yep, tell people to support their school. A football program with an average attendance of 15-17,000 is not working from a position of power when it comes to scheduling. We are not financially solvent enough to make demands yet. If we sold out Fouts consistently...or even came close...home games would be money making events and we could say "no thanks" to contracts that didn't suit our best interests. If we sold out Fouts consistently leagues like CUSA would knock on our door instead of vice versa (and YES Screaming Eagle 66 is dead on when he says students and alumni failed our basketball program on Wednesday, even the Greeks). We sit here and whine and complain ad nauseum about wanting a new stadium, wanting a new conference, wanting respect or wanting better schedules. Let's put a better product in the stands and we'll get a better product on the field. Our fellow alumni (unless you don't make it to games and then I'm talking about you too)and students are failing us!

While I'm typing here I guess I'll get into Plumm territory and go long with it. I've seen complaints about advertising from time to time. When was the last time that you, personally, did something to advertise a game. At the beginning of the year in years past there has been a group of alumni who have gone business to business, door to door, putting up schedule posters so that Dentonites can't say they didn't know there was a game. Talons catches flak for not doing enough on this same front. Current Talons on the board (and please correct me if I'm off point on this) when was the last time you had yard signs made and put them out on campus? Or had door hangers made a week prior to the game so that they were on every dormitory door by Wednesday of game week? I only ask because I know FOR A FACT that it has been done in the past...without the benefit of student service fees. That's your job! The whole "ensure a continuing atmosphere of spirit and service to the University of North Texas" motto is far more than just paying it lip service. Go the extra mile.

Folks, I know that this board represents the proverbial "choir" and that preaching to all of you is an exercise in redundancy and may even come across as borderline offensive but I am a firm believer in the old adage that 'if you're not a part of the solution you're a part of the problem' when it comes to NT athletics. We all know this program is gonna grow incrementally. We have the power to make it grow exponentially though. I just can't help but get excited when I think about that.

Amen brother. Stop complaining and support the school in the flesh!

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked meangreensports.com and it shows us with SIX home games this year instead of the five shown in the schedule Harry originally posted. The one change is the game against Louisiana Lafayette, which will be a home game according to the website. That gives us six home games and two of those within the first five games of the season...not ideal (when compared to the big schools who play the first four games at home), but hopefully addresses the concerns many of us had with playing only one home game in the first five weeks of the season. In fact, we should get on a pretty good SBC roll by playing our first three (and four of the first five) conference games at home.

2007-08 UNT Football Schedule

No, sorry, only FIVE (5) home games again for this season. MeanGreenSports.com was in error, ULL is an away game, and they have now corrected it. :(

Edited by NT80

• 5 weeks later...

Four of the first five games on the road is not good. Apart from that, I can't complain too much.

"Let's put a better product in the stands and we'll get a better product on the field."

I don't agree with this comment. Unfortunately, the exact opposite is generally true. If UNT football loses, then the fans will stay away.

Four of the first five games on the road is not good. Apart from that, I can't complain too much.

"Let's put a better product in the stands and we'll get a better product on the field."

I don't agree with this comment. Unfortunately, the exact opposite is generally true. If UNT football loses, then the fans will stay away.

So you don't actually disagre with the comment you've just found the converse to be true. Disagreeing would be saying that the product on the field wouldn't improve despite a better product in the stands...and this theory, unfortunately, has never been tested.

"Overall" it is a lower tier 1-A schedule ONLY because of the SBC portion. OU, Ark, SMUt, and Navy games are fine. It's the SBC games, and quasi 1-AA WKU game that we need to upgrade. Never be satisfied with being in the SBC. We must continue the push for CUSA membership. To say otherwise is like being happy in the Southland forever.

CUSA? Regional Rivalries, yes, but quality of conference NO. SBC had a winning record against CUSA last year and Troy smacked Rice around in the NO Bowl game.

CUSA? Regional Rivalries, yes, but quality of conference NO. SBC had a winning record against CUSA last year and Troy smacked Rice around in the NO Bowl game.

We had a great year vs. CUSA, for sure. What's the Belt's record vs. CUSA since '99? Not what the answer is off the top of my head, but I'd still say CUSA would do us better for all sports.