Rumored Preferred Walk On At Nt

OldTimer

Zack Palmer, Justin Northwest 6-0, 180, 4.5 Athlete

1st Team All District 5-5A as SR. as FS

Jr. 74 tackles on defense

Sr. stats: 1 rushing play for 36 yds and 1 TD

passing 32 of 59 with 2 interceptions for 327 yds and 3 TD's

receiving 4 receptions for 16 yds and 1 TD

I would presume he would be a Free Safety in College....defensive stats his Sr. year...? Anyone knows?

The "walk on" program --

Exactly how does this program work?

My understanding is a preferred walk on was invited to NT last year, and is in school now, or

as a high school senior, planing to enroll at NT in the fall, can be invited as a preferred walk on.

Current students enrolled at NT, I beleive must interview with the coaches first, and if approved

can try out in the spring as a walk on.

I am just trying to figure this out the chain of command for "preferred walk on" and

regular "walk on" .

Didn't know we had walk-on tryouts this week. Can you give us any information? Number of walk-ons, any notable players, etc. Come on man, don't leave us hanging! :innocent:

Here is the link to the info in the athletic dept. web-site.

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...amp;SPSID=37327

I keep asking if anyone went to the tryouts, but I guess there wasn't a gomeangreen representative there.

He plays at the school I work at, Northwest ISD. The kid is a heck of an athlete. Good kid too. You will not have to worry about grades or behavior with this kid. I think he could make an impact after a RS year to bulk up a little. The kid can fly. He is every bit of that 4.5 if not a little faster. I have seen him at track meets on a couple of relay teams that have gone to state.

I like having him on the roster

Seems ironic that in the paragraph under the minimum academic requirements, that the word "you're" is misused. The question is posed, "if your registered with the NCAA Clearinghouse" rather than "if YOU'RE registered with the NCAA..."

NIT-wait for it...wait for it...-PICKY!!! :)

I know this family they are terrific people and would be great fans. He is a great athlete, very good speed and has other I-AA offers. Great attitude, good grades. Would love to see him join the team. I'm thrilled to see the level of walk-ons that Dodge is attracting.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The "walk on" program --

Exactly how does this program work?

My understanding is a preferred walk on was invited to NT last year, and is in school now, or

as a high school senior, planing to enroll at NT in the fall, can be invited as a preferred walk on.

Current students enrolled at NT, I beleive must interview with the coaches first, and if approved

can try out in the spring as a walk on.

I am just trying to figure this out the chain of command for "preferred walk on" and

regular "walk on" .

I think that you've pretty well got it. A preferred walkon is a recent graduate who almost made the cut but we didn't have enough scholarships. If they meet the coaches standards they can receive a scholarship due to someone who didn't return or maybe get one the following year. Three successful ones in this category that I can recall were all linebackers...Jeff Rodgers, Chris Hurd and Derek Mendoza.

Spring walkons are already in school, take a physical and tryout prior to spring training. Very few of these are successful. The last one that I can remember is Dustin Dean, who worked his way up to the starting lineup.

I think that you've pretty well got it. A preferred walkon is a recent graduate who almost made the cut but we didn't have enough scholarships. If they meet the coaches standards they can receive a scholarship due to someone who didn't return or maybe get one the following year. Three successful ones in this category that I can recall were all linebackers...Jeff Rodgers, Chris Hurd and Derek Mendoza.

Spring walkons are already in school, take a physical and tryout prior to spring training. Very few of these are successful. The last one that I can remember is Dustin Dean, who worked his way up to the starting lineup.

Wouldn't Sinbad fall in the same boat? He was already at school, and walked onto Coach Genero's squad.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Wouldn't Sinbad fall in the same boat? He was already at school, and walked onto Coach Genero's squad.

You know that's funny. I could be wrong but I thought that Sinbad was a teacher, not a student when he joined the squad. Has anyone ever mentioned that we forfeited that game for using an ineligible player?