Dodge Rubs Elbows With Fans

Stan R

Need more Alumni coming back!

""I'm really excited to come back to my home," said Clayton George, wide receivers coach. George played wide receiver at NT from 1989-93 and was part of two Southland Conference championships. Dodge coached George while at NT from 1992-93 as a wide receivers coach.

"I have a lot of things to be thankful for," George said. "I get to come back and coach my alma mater, and coach with my mentor. This university and these guys are like family to me."

For only the second time in Texas high school football history, a high school coach rose from the high school ranks to be a head college football coach.

Is that right? Didn't Dennis Parker come straight from Marshall High School? So, if that fact is correct, UNT is the only university in history to ever hire a HS football coach as HC?

Is that right? Didn't Dennis Parker come straight from Marshall High School? So, if that fact is correct, UNT is the only university in history to ever hire a HS football coach as HC?

The only D-1 University in Texas. Notre Dame once hired a successful HS coach.

Correction. We were not a D-1 school when we hired Parker, we were 1-AA. But I believe that we are the only school in Texas to hire a HS coach as our head coach.

Art Briles had only been coaching in College for two years before he was hired as the head coach at Houston.

Edited by SilverEagle

Correction. We were not a D-1 school when we hired Parker, we were 1-AA. But I believe that we are the only school in Texas to hire a HS coach as our head coach.

Good point, but I don't think the article differentiates between 1-A and 1-AA. That's just amazing to think that no other college (which was the term/classification the article used) has EVER hired a HS coach as HC.

Good point, but I don't think the article differentiates between 1-A and 1-AA. That's just amazing to think that no other college (which was the term/classification the article used) has EVER hired a HS coach as HC.

Many of us like our chances for Texas sportswriters to scribe in the future something (possibly) similar to this:

"UNT was the first D1-A football program in the Lone Star State to hire a HS coach (albeit a former successful UT/SWC QB, as well as a very successful & high profile Texas HS football coach); and with Coach Dodge who became a "can't miss" hire proving UNT's hiring officials to be right-on from the very git-go (and that "git-go" beginning with Todd Dodge's very first Mean Green recruiting class)!"

IMO, our present UNT officials hired TD the way any Texas D1-A head football coach should be hired and not done hastily or too quickly, ie, almost secretly done, with no apparent list of candidates and a hiring done under a non-UNT influenced radar, either).

Who knows what the future may hold with any of this, but at least NT Exes and Mean Green fans did have some semblance of feed-back with this hiring by what was even being posted on GMG.com (which, of course, many UNT officials say they "never" read). :rolleyes:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Many of us like our chances for Texas sportswriters to scribe in the future something (possibly) similar to this:

"UNT was the first D1-A football program in the Lone Star State to hire a HS coach (albeit a former successful UT/SWC QB, as well as a very successful & high profile Texas HS football coach); and with Coach Dodge who became a "can't miss" hire proving UNT's hiring officials to be right-on from the very git-go (and that "git-go" beginning with Todd Dodge's very first Mean Green recruiting class)!"

IMO, our present UNT officials hired TD the way any Texas D1-A head football coach should be hired and not done hastily or too quickly, ie, almost secretly done, with no apparent list of candidates and a hiring done under a non-UNT influenced radar, either).

Who knows what the future may hold with any of this, but at least NT Exes and Mean Green fans did have some semblance of feed-back with this hiring by what was even being posted on GMG.com (which, of course, many UNT officials say they "never" read). :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't mind setting the precedence and I think Todd Dodge will make other schools doubt their decsion not to court him. I'm just astonished that no other school has taken this risk...as good as Texas high school football is and as many lower tiered college football programs as there are in Texas. I'd have thought an ETSU, now TAMU-Commerce, Abilene Christian or Austin College caliber school would taken that chance.

I have a better comprehension of the additional pressure TD is facing to succeed for Texas HS HCs everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't mind setting the precedence and I think Todd Dodge will make other schools doubt their decsion not to court him. I'm just astonished that no other school has taken this risk...as good as Texas high school football is and as many lower tiered college football programs as there are in Texas. I'd have thought an ETSU, now TAMU-Commerce, Abilene Christian or Austin College caliber school would taken that chance.

I have a better comprehension of the additional pressure TD is facing to succeed for Texas HS HCs everywhere.

It's been reported several times that before Rice hired Coach Graham last year, they contacted Coach Dodge about the job and he said "no thank you".

"The team will resume practice the next week, and spring ball will culminate Sunday, April 22, with the annual Green-White game taking place at 3 p.m. in Fouts Field."

A weekend day that will allow for a larger turnout and TAILGATING!!!! Whoooo Hoooooo! Let's pack the house!!!

Austin College hired former Lewisville HC Ronnie Gage last spring.

"The team will resume practice the next week, and spring ball will culminate Sunday, April 22, with the annual Green-White game taking place at 3 p.m. in Fouts Field."

A weekend day that will allow for a larger turnout and TAILGATING!!!! Whoooo Hoooooo! Let's pack the house!!!

Dodge actually wanted it on Saturday that weekend but Fouts was already booked with I believe a charity track event.

Dodge actually wanted it on Saturday that weekend but Fouts was already booked with I believe a charity track event.

The Denton Relay for Life is the 21st. This events is scheduled a year in advance, so for 2008 we need to figure out when we want the Green/White game this year to avoid a scheduling issue.

The Denton Relay for Life is the 21st. This events is scheduled a year in advance, so for 2008 we need to figure out when we want the Green/White game this year to avoid a scheduling issue.

Isn't this the event that kept the GMG.com bowl off Fouts Field last year?