All Time Greatest Gmg Player ?

NT03

No question in my mind it was Brewster. He was the heart and soul of the UNT offense while he was here. He blocked for 3 different 1,000 yard rushers and 2 national champions not to mention keeping Hall and Smith comfortable. More than anyone his loss hit the UNT offense the hardest. Had he been here (and by here I mean on the field) the last 2 years I can assure you our offense would not have struggled nearly as much as it has nor would we have had the QB problems.

no jamarrio thomas?

Jamario doesn't need to be in this category!! He had 1 good year and the rest was horrible, all these other players had awesome careers here at unt so you can't just base it over his 1 good year

Jamario doesn't need to be in this category!! He had 1 good year and the rest was horrible, all these other players had awesome careers here at unt so you can't just base it over his 1 good year

When that one year was the best ever by a NT running back, yes he deserves to be there. Also while not up to his first year, the next two years were far from horrible. Not many rb's are going to be to effective with the defense stacked to stop him and being met in the backfield before two steps. He is probably not included because he still has a year to go.

The best without question, is Mr. Kennedy. He is one of the very few players that could dominate a game from a defensive line position. His junior year he was as good as any defensive lineman in the country. After Kennedy, I think the two most valuable were Hall and Brewster. Hall has been the only QB to be consistently effective in DD's offense. Brewster was the leader of the line that made both Thomas and Cobbs's Belt MVP's.

Edited by GrandGreen

I looked long and hard at the candidates on that list and to tell you the truth, any one of them could be someone's favorite as they all were major contributors of our past successes.

But there was one guy who was the biggest difference during that run. DD's success fully relied on how well the defense played. It didn't matter what kind of day the offense had, if his defense didn't show, then most times it was going to be a long day. When this player was out, the game changed. When he was in and healthy it didn't matter how many times the opponents got the ball, or where they got it, we all knew the offense would be getting it right back because when Booger Kennedy was tying up O linemen and wreaking havoc in the backfield, the others could do their jobs easier. As soon as he left NT, our defense started to decline. Before I clicked my choice to vote for him I wondered if anyone else thought the same way I did. It's good to see I'm not alone as he has most of the votes.

Rick

As great as he was, I heard from a former player that Brewster used to handle him time after time in practice.

Not when he first got here but possibly later on. No one could block him his freshman year in camp. It was rediculous. After that season he started to take plays off during practice because he knew he could. And that was probably a good thing. Since our head coach didn't believe in protecting his QB's 4 days until kickoff of the season opener, you can credit Booger as the reason Hall missed the '02 season after the Texas game. Which by the way, no one in burnt orange could block him that night either.

Rick

Johnny Quinn...period. I loved Booger just as much as anyone else but his production wasn't consistently stellar every single year. His senior year didn't match his junior year. Quinn, though playing in a run first, second and third offense, was there to CARRY the offense at times. And his production never dropped off. He made Scott Hall. Every ball thrown in his direction was as good as caught. Oh, and he was pretty darn good returning punts to boot.

Since I brought up Darrell Daniels as an underrated player, here are my most underrated players of the gmg.com era:

1) DE Darrell Daniels - More disruptive than most seem to remember him.

2) FB Mike Hickmon - The NMSU game at Fouts alone should have cemented his place in Mean Green lore.

3) DT Mike Pruitt - Had the misfortune of stepping into Boogers shoes, if we had him now people would name thier kids after him.

Honorable mention goes to Kevin Howard, who had a monster (for the DD era) receiving game against Cinci, and would flat out block every play.

Who else belongs on the list?

This is like picking your favorite child! :unsure:

While I agree that Booger was a HUGE impact player (pun intended), I also think he had a better cast to assist him. Johnny Quinn, on the other hand, produced nearly every game in almost impossible circumstances; a run-dominated offense and a plethora of different QBs. Therefore, JQ gets my vote.