Haltom Hc George Quits, Might Join Unt Staff

OldTimer

Sorry, but some of us won't believe it's a good deal until we see good results. Personally, I think we'll be no different than we were with Darrell Dickey - getting stomped in OOC games, competing well enough against the Sun Belt competition to win some SBC titles. The upside for the athletic department is that they got Dodge for a couple of thousand dollars less than they were paying Dickey.

:blink:

I know the immediate negativity and second guessing is part of college football fanboard-dom, but man does it rub me the wrong way.

I'm highlighting this particular phrase. Methinks it might show up in a signature somewhere around October of next year.

Everyone needs to go easy on that knee-jerk koolaid. I know, I know, it is the drink of choice of college boosters everywhere.

It's premature to condemn Dodge for something he has not yet done and for which the only supporting evidence is the rumors on this board. Hollering for him to get to recruiting is also pointless, because until December 24, UNT is appropriately not his first priority. And let's wait a little while before crowning him the best coach in UNT history.

It's a little early for either scathing criticism or victory parades through the streets when the man has not put in his first day in the office.

We, on the otherhand, look as though we're going to turn the entire thing over to high school coaches, the head guy with a couple of years of I-AA experience from 12 years ago.

Sorry, but some of us won't believe it's a good deal until we see good results. Personally, I think we'll be no different than we were with Darrell Dickey - getting stomped in OOC games, competing well enough against the Sun Belt competition to win some SBC titles. The upside for the athletic department is that they got Dodge for a couple of thousand dollars less than they were paying Dickey.

We "look as hough we're going to turn the entire thing over to high school coaches, the head guy with a couple of years of I-AA experience from 12 years ago."

Really? TD has hired one coach and has hinted at bringing along his defensive coordinator. That's three coaches. Give the man a chance to fill out his staff before you and shaft start jumping to conclusions.

My point regarding Malzahn was that he adjusted the offense he coordinated to the skills of his players, like any good coach would do. I would expect the same from Dodge. I see us already being much different from when DD was here. There is no "woe is me" crap, so I would expect a different expectation level. Do we beat OU and Arkansas? Probably not. Do we go in there to compete with an expectation anything can happen? I assume so, and it will be a breath of fresh air.

Now give TD a few years to recruit his type of players and let's see what happens. This is just like criticizing a recruiting class at the moment they sign their LOI. Give them time to develop and they may surprise you.

I'm holding Dodge to a lower standard than what I would have held DD to for next year; that means a winning record and a win against SMU.

from what i've seen, you've never held DD to any standard, and certainly had no problems with him only winning 2 or 3 games. so i consider this BS. it would also be illogical to expect a new coach to come in and fix a terrible team in less than a year. quite frankly, you're holding him to a higher standard in 1 year than you did DD after 9 years.

i certainly wouldn't expect a winning record. i will, however, expect our team to look like it's headed in the right direction.

Wow! Dodge might be able to land a high school coach from a school with a crappy record, what can't he do?

I'm excited to see what the future might hold for UNT, but the way people on this board are acting like giddy school girls is just embarassing. I'm holding Dodge to a lower standard than what I would have held DD to for next year; that means a winning record and a win against SMU.

I agree there has been "irrational exuberance" about Dodge. But this is, IMHO, significant news. He was Dodge's OC at SLC.