Game Day Spirit '07

Green to the Bone

A Game Day spirit suggestion:

We're doing much better at pregame activities these days, but let's get some discussion going on a few improvements.

A number of times last year when the team walked through for the Mean Green March, it looked pretty much like it was a chore for them instead of an inspiration. An assortment of non-UNT gym clothes and caps, and those iPod headphones, and the generally downcast looks all gave a pretty sour appearance. Given the thin crowds and everything else, that's no surprise.

I don't think lack of welcome is going to be so much of an issue next year, but I do think it would be good to come up with some ideas for making a bigger deal out of their arrival.

Also, a sartorial suggestion for RV and TD: players and coaches in a single type of UNT polos, or T-shirts and caps; no gym wear. And a no-headphones rule for the five minutes that the march takes.

Showing pride helps us take pride, and vice versa.

Other ideas?

A couple of comments.

If you are indeed green to the bone, I'd go see a doctor. That thing might be infected.

I agree whole heartedly about the walk to the stadium. If the fans are going to put forth the effort to support the team this way, the least our team can do is act appreciative of the gesture.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of comments.

If you are indeed green to the bone, I'd go see a doctor.  That thing might be infected.

I agree whole heartedly about the walk to the stadium.  If the fans are going to put forth the effort to support the team this way, the least our team can do is act appreciative of the gesture.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green bones are bad enough, but some of them are still red and black (a U of Georgia alum, too). The green and red make Christmas, but the black just makes you look baaad.

The ultiimate team welcome might include dancing girls throwing rose petals, but that might be a little too distracting.

How about some better music as they come out of the tunnel.

A few suggestions (Just the intros, not the lyrics! laugh.gif)

Whoop That Trick from the Hustle and Flow Soundtrack

Never Scared - Bone Crusher

Draped Up- Bun B

Ruff Ryders Anthem- DMX

Bounce- Miracle

Take It to the House- Trick Daddy (The Band could actually play this)

Shut Up- Trick Daddy (Again, the band could pull this off)

Whoop That Trick from the Hustle and Flow Soundtrack

-Someday, I wish we could have our own lyrics to this beat. Whoop that Trick could be replaced with "Go Mean Green" to make it family friendly.

Never Scared - Bone Crusher

-Attenchuuuuuuuun

Draped Up- Bun B

-indifferent about this one. Not as much of a hyped up song.

Ruff Ryders Anthem- DMX

-This is classic.

Bounce- Miracle

-YES

Take It to the House- Trick Daddy (The Band could actually play this)

Shut Up- Trick Daddy (Again, the band could pull this off)

-I would REALLY like if the band would give these a try. I know playing this style isn't what most band directors have in mind, but lets have the Green Brigade prove how versatile they are. The students would love it.

Draped Up- Bun B

hell yes, as a native of the city that helped bring you candy paint and grain-grippin, all while sittin crooked on chrome, Id love to hear some of the boys from SE Texas... biggrin.gif

At the Houston/Southern Miss game, the band performed "Ridin Dirty" Chamillionaire. Only in H-town... Anyways, I've lost everyone over the age of 30, and probably several younger so back to the topic at hand...

I like the polo shirt idea, as i like some level of uniformity and a show of respect for the fans and the university that you will later represent. Really, we just need to get more fans inside the stadium, but some good music would certainly help, and the ones emmitt listed are a good start!

Edited by Eagle1855

Im old school I'll admit.  I'd like to see the team in shirts & ties,  maybe even blazers.    Back in my day we wore ties on game days...AND WE LIKED IT!!! (Grumpy old man reference)

But I'd settle for matching polos...

That's exactly what many of the big programs do. Especially when they travel by to OOC games. Also, the game programs should have the players' pictures with coat and matching tie.

A Game Day spirit suggestion:

We're doing much better at pregame activities these days, but let's get some discussion going on a few improvements.

A number of times last year when the team walked through for the Mean Green March, it looked pretty much like it was a chore for them instead of an inspiration.  An assortment of non-UNT gym clothes and caps, and those iPod headphones, and the generally downcast looks all gave a pretty sour appearance.  Given the thin crowds and everything else, that's no surprise.

Also, a sartorial suggestion for RV and TD:  A no-headphones rule for the five minutes that the march takes. 

Showing pride helps us take pride, and vice versa.

Other ideas?

The headphones were always a slap directed at the fans that supported the team. They were a symptom of a former coach's "us against them" attitude which served to create the division from within that he craved. That crap is all gone now.

Likewise, do you think any players are going to run to the tunnel before the Brigade plays the alma mater next season? It may happen, but I doubt they'll have the opportunity to make that mistake twice.

"Mommy, ......I lost my scholarship because I refuse to show loyalty to my university". "That's alright son, you can come home and spend the next couple of years walking the dog."

For what seems like 20 years of asking: How about a UNIFIED chant like Memphis or Southern Miss had in the bowl games, like U of H had when they came to the Super Pit in basketball last year? We need a UNIFIED chant that has a beginning and an ending. Quick and to the point.

The signs that I had printed up and gave to the cheerleaders two years ago at the bowl game that GMG.com came up with was thrown away and never used. Every time we go to a place we have to listen to the other school do one and we look small time. Then like U of H last year, they come into our house and show unity with one and we didn't, and again looked small time. We need to find out who in the A.D. department is over the cheerleaders, get it implemented and have it taught at fish camp for next year. It wouldn' t take much for the rest of the stadium to follow.

The chant from GMG.com was based on the 7 sylable beat that is used in many other places. A signal is given and then it's done and over with.

LET'S!

GO!

MEAN!

GREEN!

FIGHT!

FIGHT!

FIGHT!

It could easily be changed to something else such as:

GO!

MEAN!

GREEN!

EAGLES!

FIGHT!

FIGHT!

FIGHT!

Over the years and everywhere I have traveled and met other NT alumni I have heard people usually shout one common thing pertaining to North Texas, and that is "GO MEAN GREEN!". While wearing my Mean Green attire I atteded all three days of the 3 Day Breast Cancer walk this past October and I must have had this shouted out to me 30 times as alumni after alumni walked past our cheering stations. This should be adopted and written into our journal of traditions and taught as a chant. I don't care how it's done, we just need to get it done prior to next season.

Rick