Dodge's Contract

Mad Hatter

Dodge's UNT deal worth $265K

03:22 AM CST on Thursday, December 14, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Todd Dodge signed a five-year contract with North Texas on Tuesday that includes a base salary of $185,000 and incentives that could push his annual compensation past $265,000.

The Southlake Carroll coach was introduced Tuesday as the Mean Green's 16th coach. The deal, which begins Dec. 26, runs through the 2011 season.

Dodge will take over at UNT after he finishes the Carroll season. The Dragons face Allen in the Class 5A Division I semifinals on Saturday at Texas Stadium.

Dodge's salary for the 2005-06 school year at Carroll was $90,101.

At UNT, Dodge will receive a $30,000 radio stipend, a $25,000 payment for maintaining membership in the NCAA and the Sun Belt Conference and a $20,000 bonus for completing each season.

Dodge also will receive a $6,000 car allowance.

The contract also includes a bonus for the number of season tickets UNT sells. Dodge will receive $5,000 if the school sells between 5,000-7,499 season tickets. The total doubles if it sells 7,500. An additional $10,000 would be added if UNT sells 10,000 tickets.

Dodge would also receive $25,000 for winning the Sun Belt title and playing in a bowl game.

The contract includes a clause that would protect UNT if Dodge were hired away by another program. Dodge would have to pay UNT an amount equal to one year's base salary if he leaves before the end of the contract on Aug. 31, 2012.

Former UNT head coach Darrell Dickey who was fired Nov. 8 was paid a base salary of $187,425 plus incentives last season.

Dodge's UNT deal worth $265K

03:22 AM CST on Thursday, December 14, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Todd Dodge signed a five-year contract with North Texas on Tuesday that includes a base salary of $185,000 and incentives that could push his annual compensation past $265,000.

The Southlake Carroll coach was introduced Tuesday as the Mean Green's 16th coach. The deal, which begins Dec. 26, runs through the 2011 season.

Dodge will take over at UNT after he finishes the Carroll season. The Dragons face Allen in the Class 5A Division I semifinals on Saturday at Texas Stadium.

Dodge's salary for the 2005-06 school year at Carroll was $90,101.

At UNT, Dodge will receive a $30,000 radio stipend, a $25,000 payment for maintaining membership in the NCAA and the Sun Belt Conference and a $20,000 bonus for completing each season.

Dodge also will receive a $6,000 car allowance.

The contract also includes a bonus for the number of season tickets UNT sells. Dodge will receive $5,000 if the school sells between 5,000-7,499 season tickets. The total doubles if it sells 7,500. An additional $10,000 would be added if UNT sells 10,000 tickets.

Dodge would also receive $25,000 for winning the Sun Belt title and playing in a bowl game.

The contract includes a clause that would protect UNT if Dodge were hired away by another program. Dodge would have to pay UNT an amount equal to one year's base salary if he leaves before the end of the contract on Aug. 31, 2012.

Former UNT head coach Darrell Dickey who was fired Nov. 8 was paid a base salary of $187,425 plus incentives last season.

Wow, is that for real??? I was under the impression we were going to pay him a yearly salary of just over 500K. It wouldn't have kept him from bolting, especially to a BCS school, but it still would have made a statement of seriousness on our part. It appears that, at best, he'll make only about half that much.

We should all help Coach Dodge earn an extra $10,000 a year.

Wow, is that for real??? I was under the impression we were going to pay him a yearly salary of just over 500K.  It wouldn't have kept him from bolting, especially to a BCS school, but it still would have made a statement of seriousness on our part.  It appears that, at best, he'll make only about half that much.

I'm all about the incentives part in the coaches contract. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think DD had anything like that in his contract.

I'm all about the incentives part in the coaches contract. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think DD had anything like that in his contract.

True, at least he will be motivated by the incentives. The only thing is that even if he earns all of his incentive bonuses he still won't come to close to making the 500K that had been mentioned in previous articles. Oh well, at least by Sun Belt standards he's getting good pay.

True, at least he will be motivated by the incentives.  The only thing is that even if he earns all of his incentive bonuses he still won't come to close to making the 500K that had been mentioned in previous articles.  Oh well, at least by Sun Belt standards he's getting good pay.

Trust me, if RV thinks he can make us a top 25 program and Dodge proves it in the next few years, he'll have up to 500k in incentives.

We're trying to raise 60M for a new stadium to make us more competitive on a national level. If a coach can can help us get there, I have no problems opening up the checkbook, he's just got to prove himself first.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I like this about Todd Dodge. He is not trying to hold us up. He negotiated as if he has little experience as a college head coach, which is true. I think that if he does well, that we will rewrite his contract and pay him competitively with other successful non-BCS coaches. He may have the best contract in the Belt but he is still behind CUSA and WAC coaches.

A bigger concern to me is what we'll pay the assistant coaches. We've got to be competitive here also if we are to get and keep the better ones.

We should all help Coach Dodge earn an extra $10,000 a year.

Let's help him earn an extra $20,000 a year, that is, if we sell 10,000 tickets! He gets $5k if we sell 5k tickets, that gets doubled at 7.5k tickets and an additional $10k is added if we hit the 10k mark in ticket sells!

With the publicity we've gotten so far, I think it is highly possible for 10k tickets. I just bought 4 and will be making my MGC donation again this year.

Let's help him earn an extra $20,000 a year, that is, if we sell 10,000 tickets!  He gets $5k if we sell 5k tickets, that gets doubled at 7.5k tickets and an additional $10k is added if we hit the 10k mark in ticket sells! 

With the publicity we've gotten so far, I think it is highly possible for 10k tickets.  I just bought 4 and will be making my MGC donation again this year.

You are correct. I read that wrong, so let's help him get that $20,000!