Dickey Changed Jerseys to 'Piss Off Villareal'

rcade

I have heard from sources close to the team that Coach Dickey told his players that the uniform change was intended to "piss off Villareal."

Brett Vito writes today in the Denton Record-Chronicle that before the game Athletic Director Rick Villareal "hadn’t even had a chance to look at the uniforms," which suggests the change wasn't cleared with him.

Dickey's told the press it was the players' idea.

If anyone can corroborate that he's not telling the truth (or that the rumors aren't true), please reply here or contact me on my weblog.

This is either a bush-league stunt that ought to be exposed or an innocent gesture that's being misinterpreted, and I'd like to get to the bottom of it if possible.

Edited by rcade

I saw that. With all due respect to Harry, there's stuff here that ought to be brought to light. If he forbids the speculation here I'll pursue it on my weblog.

During halftime, Offensive Coordinator Ramon Flanagan allegedly got into a fight with the wide receivers coach and tried to choke him. The fracas was so bad, from what I've been told, that UNT's offense received no instruction from the coaches during halftime.

I saw that. With all due respect to Harry, there's stuff here that ought to be brought to light. If he forbids the speculation here I'll pursue it on my weblog.

During halftime, Offensive Coordinator Ramon Flanagan allegedly got into a fight with the wide receivers coach and tried to choke him. The fracas was so bad, from what I've been told, that UNT's offense received no instruction from the coaches during halftime.

That is unfortunate but not surprising if it happened.

I agree with you. This is far more serious than many on this board understand.

College kids don't dictate to the university what color they will wear for what game. They don't decide period. Our tradtion is green and white. If you don't like those colors than go find yourselves another school.

The picture of Dickey with his arms crossed is one of defiance. There is almost an evil element in that picture. Look at it again. I bet we don't know a third of what has been going on behind the scenes during the years Mattress Man and Dickey had their vice like grip on our schools athletic program.

The whole story needs to be told.

I hope people who know the truth will have the courage to speak out.

I think the real question here is can anyone else corroborate the RF story. If he did attack another coach then it is a shame and I feel bad for the kids that had to witness it if it did occur. I mean, what does that show them about leadership.

Edited by Eagle-96

I agree with you. This is far more serious than many on this board understand.

College kids don't dictate to the university what color they will wear for what game.  They don't decide period. Our tradtion is green and white. If you don't like those colors than go find yourselves another school.

The picture of Dickey with his arms crossed is one of defiance. There is almost an evil element in that picture. Look at it again. I bet we don't know a third of what has been going on behind the scenes during the years Mattress Man and Dickey had their vice like grip on our schools athletic program.

The whole story needs to be told.

I hope people who know the truth will have the courage to speak out.

We had about 5 uni combinations when I played in high school, and the players did, in fact, get to choose what we wore at homecoming and in any game after we won 4 straight. And that was high school. I would think, just a possibility, that the seniors would have some input in what we wore the last game at Fouts. Not saying that happened, but it's surely not "they don't decide period"..

an "evil element in that picture". That's it. I need a break.

We had about 5 uni combinations when I played in high school, and the players did, in fact, get to choose what we wore at homecoming and in any game after we won 4 straight. And that was high school. I would think, just a possibility, that the seniors would have some input in what we wore the last game at Fouts. Not saying that happened, but it's surely not "they don't decide period"..

I personally do not care for unis that are not the school colors, however, if we are going to wear something different, just make sure the school NAME is at least on the Jersey.

This is the University of North Texas. We are not a high school and our colors are GREEN AND WHITE! Not copper, not blue and not black.

As far as there being an evil element in that picture, absolutely. I didn't say Dickey was evil.

I personally do not care for unis that are not the school colors, however, if we are going to wear something different, just make sure the school NAME is at least on the Jersey.

Oh, I agree entirely with the colors thing. I'm with you 100%. Just stating that the players having a hand in deciding what jerseys to wear is not unheard of.

Doesn't it seem like EVERYONE has a black accent jersey these days? Man, that must be the hip thing these days. I recall the Detroit Lions wearing it a bunch last season, and the Eagles have the past few.. The Mets in baseball come to mind as well.

Oh, I agree entirely with the colors thing. I'm with you 100%. Just stating that the players having a hand in deciding what jerseys to wear is not unheard of.

Doesn't it seem like EVERYONE has a black accent jersey these days? Man, that must be the hip thing these days. I recall the Detroit Lions wearing it a bunch last season, and the Eagles have the past few.. The Mets in baseball come to mind as well.

Well FSU did it this year, and they had the names and logos on them and I thought those looked Horrible. That being said, they did it to "honor" the Seminole tribe if I am correct.

The fact that DD went in and changed his outfit to all black also tends to make be believe that it was his idea. If that's the case, it's good he is on his way out, and it points out that maybe he was not as Green as he wanted some to believe.

We may be at the bottom of D1, but if you are going to play for UNT, don't disrespect the school or the uniform. Wear it and show some pride, or don't wear it at all!

This is the University of North Texas. We are not a high school and our colors are GREEN AND WHITE! Not copper, not blue and not black.

As far as there being an evil element in that picture, absolutely. I didn't say Dickey was evil.

What?

Where did I say we were a high school? You stated that players would never be allowed input on what uni they'd wear. "Period". I just responded that even at the high school level, that is an occasional practice. I also never said anything about school colors (or lack there of), Simply that it was in the realm of possibility the players had input, not that they specifically did in this case.

I'm not in the business of determining "elements of evil" in photographs, but do think it would make a kick ass band name.

Well FSU did it this year, and they had the names and logos on them and I thought those looked Horrible.  That being said, they did it to "honor" the Seminole tribe if I am correct. 

Yeah, you're exactly right -- and I agree, it looked HORRID. Seemed like every Noles fan I spoke to here in FL either loved or hated the look.

I think if they were going to do that at the last home game they could have at least had enough respect to put the senior's names on the back of their jerseys. There is a five letter word that I have loved seeing on the back of a certain jersey for quite a few years now. The five letter word? Quinn.

Offensive Coordinator Ramon Flanagan allegedly got into a fight with the wide receivers coach and tried to choke him.

Maybe he mistook the WR coach for Silver Eagle laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

But if that fight story is true, it would explain why dd went off on rf on the sidelines durign the 2nd half.

As far as the uni issue, a black jersey is NOT an accent.

And as we discuss this, check out MNF tonight -- take a peek at what the Jags have busted out.  ohmy.gif

Those look good. As I said about the Philly uniforms in another thread - It is a decent look if done correctly. I do like the Philly unis better though with the white pants.

Those look good.  As I said about the Philly uniforms in another thread - It is a decent look if done correctly.  I do like the Philly unis better though with the white pants.

Uniform changes where they've planned them in advance and worked with the sponsor can be cool. Clemson coming out in purple uniforms for the second time in their history was a weird but memorable moment.

I'm in Jacksonville and the all-black uniforms are great, especially with that defense in that house.

But if the reports from Saturday are true, the idea that a Division I-A football program's ousted coach could sneak rec-league unis on his team as an F-U to the school paying him a half-mil buyout is unfreakingbelievable. Can anyone imagine Ron Zook doing that at Florida? He'd have to go into hiding like Salman Rushdie.

If anyone was a witness to any of this, I've been contacted by a reporter who'd like to hear from people who can shed light on it. Please send me an e-mail and I'll do what I can to put you in touch.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by trying to feed the media our dirty laundry. If there is any, let them dig it up. We don't need to help them. What purpose does that serve, to get the coaches fired, oh wait they will be in a few weeks anyway....give me a break

And quit linking your stupid weblog on here..... dry.gif

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by trying to feed the media our dirty laundry. If there is any, let them dig it up. We don't need to help them.

It's not my job to protect UNT's rep. Darrell Dickey and Ramon Flanagan should have to answer for this stuff, if it's true. They're dishonoring the seniors who ought to have gone out on a high note, but instead have to deal with halftime meltdowns and uniform stunts.

Though it's true these coaches won't be UNT's problem any more, Dickey's still getting $500K from the school. That ought to buy a little more class than we've gotten in his departure, and I say that as a fan of his accomplishments who was on the fence about his firing.

According to a source, Ramon Flanagan got into the fight after being told at halftime he ought to play his seniors in their final home game at Fouts. Flanagan also allegedly spent the days since Dickey's termination refusing to talk to players who "got him fired."

It will be a real shame if this crap is swept under the rug because these coaches are on the way out. I put a call in to President Bataille's office this morning to let her know the reports of what's been going on in the final days of Coach Dickey's tenure at UNT (making clear that I'm not a witness to them personally).

If you're affiliated with UNT football, I encourage you to contact Bataille and reporters who cover this team and shed some light on the uniform stunt and Saturday's meltdown.

The seniors deserve better. UNT deserves better.

Ironically, this stuff might have cost Dickey a chance to go out with a win at home, considering how close a game it was.

Shortly before the start of the game, before the team came out, a player's father sitting behind me said, "Dickey said he is going to bring them out in black. The kids have been wanting to wear it all season."

When the team came out, the father said, "I'll be, he did it!"

Now, if this father knew this, and the kids knew it and the parent knew it...... HMMMMM?

How did they keep it from RV?