DRC article on the game/jerseys

Cr1028

Maybe Dickey was punishing the team (and himself) for poor performance.

Hill's decal ploy works to perfection

By Matt James /

The Fresno Bee

11/16/06 04:53:20

On Saturday, if you were one of those who found something else to do, Fresno State played its first football game in 30 years without mascot decals on their helmets.

Coach Pat Hill, after conferring with his players during the week, had the Bulldogs stickers pulled off the helmets.

The idea was that the Bulldogs hadn't earned the right to wear the decals. They hadn't been playing the kind of football Fresno State had become accustomed to playing, so they were being shamed.

When I saw the black pants before the game, I was a bit iffy, but figured it was a Senior Day thing like 2 years ago. When the seniors/captains came out in the black jerseys, I was shocked. I immediately thought that they were for Dickey, like the black bands on NBA jerseys. The all-black looked really bad, and the more I looked at them, the more they looked like they were ordered Wednesday. They didn't have our number font, names, logos, etc. Then I heard from someone closer to the athletic department the story from above, that RV hates black uniforms and this was Dickey's middle finger to the AD. If this does violate rules like speculated, then I hope all of the repercussions fall on him and not RV or the AD.

Maybe Dickey should just go away. If he is going to act like this maybe he should just walk.

I think everyone has been fired from a job at some point in your life. I never told an employer off (as much as I wanted to) even if I thought they were in the wrong.

Edited by gksmith

Was anyone else there for the "Mean Green March"? DD and the team were all in black then too, but not the jerseys. And not only was DD wearing all black, he had dark shades on, and had a smirk on his face as he walked on through. I wondered what he was thinking - "What the h*ll am I doing this for"? "So long, suckers"?

It was surreal. And, in my opinion, unprofessional.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Maybe the black and white like the uniforms and hat is a sign that we'll be offering a more affordable 'generic' product going forward.

My 9-year old daughter was asking why isn't there anything in the middle of the field like other teams have. I know some of you have wondered too. Well now it is clear it is just part of the evolution to the new school identity, well or the lack thereof.

Maybe the black and white like the uniforms and hat is a sign that we'll be offering a more affordable 'generic' product going forward.

My 9-year old daughter was asking why isn't there anything in the middle of the field like other teams have. I know some of you have wondered too. Well now it is clear it is just part of the evolution to the new school identity, well or the lack thereof.

If so, is this officially our new sweatshirt?

user posted image

Question.  How much of the statements being made are actual fact and how much is pure speculation?

You know the old cliche about genius being 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration?

"Facts" on GMG.com are more like a cornfield in planting season. 99% of what you stumble across will be fertilizer, and occasionally there's a seed of actual fact.

Mostly fertilizer, though.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

If so, is this officially our new sweatshirt?

user posted image

Yes, and other specific aspects of the image are also consistent with other changes that one might expect based on Saturday night. First, you can expect quite a bit more drinking, and I personally can attest that that has already come to pass. Second, not sure the whole 'university' designation is consistent with our direction. Finally, that's a dead guy (RIP) and I get a flavor of an artsy new goth era coming on for NT focusing on the black and macabre side of things. The new Mean Green mascot, when it's unveiled, will be a reincarnated greenish Belushi a la Frankenstein's monster.

Hope Dickey got a good laugh for his power play.

I suspect many alums and students did not really take notice of the all black uniforms. But I am sure Rick, the university, the Sun Belt Conference (I saw a woman with a SBC blazer on at the game), and probably New Balance noticed it and took offense.

If Dickey wanted to piss off RV ONLY, he would have gone through New Balance and normal channels to make sure the uniforms were legal...just black (not that a move like that would go unnoticed by the AD).

Hope it was worth it to him.