BIG WIN

NDT

Even JJ thinks this will be a special year. He never looks forward to a year, just the next game.

I caught that too.. he said he believes we really have something special in this team. I hope he is right. See everyone at the UTA game... I'd love to have a 3-0 start with 2 of 3 games to OOC teams!

I caught that too.. he said he believes we really have something special in this team. I hope he is right. See everyone at the UTA game... I'd love to have a 3-0 start with 2 of 3 games to OOC teams!

If we go 3-0, we'll have won all the games as OOC. Conference doesn't start until January.

I noticed that Charlotte had alittle over 5,000 in attendance.. why can't we do that?

We do get 5000 in attendance when (1) we play strong conference or OOC foes and (2) are winning games. I recently posted here last years attendance figures. We had 5000 once and numerous 4000+ games. ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS WIN! THE FANS WILL COME OUT!

Edited by chrisfisher

oh i'm not calling u a liar, it just amazes me that we have such a good team and a nice court, but nobody shows up.. I have a feeling it will start filling up more and more as the season rolls along.. I guess part of the reason i'm so amazed is because i'm from Gainesville and there wasn't a basketball game we had that wasn't sold out, the fire marshall used to have to stand at the door to keep people out.. I know more people will start showing up though just gotta keep winning in the mean time

No, I didn't take it like that at all... I just thought maybe you didn't realize that we do get those attendance numbers. I went to a most games last season and as we started winning it definitely started filling up. If we can beat UTA on Wed, start 3-0 with several OOC wins, I think we set some record attendance numbers this year (given that we continue to win).

Yahoo recap.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Kendrick Davis scored 20 points as North Texas beat Charlotte 90-72 on Sunday to open its season 2-0 for the first time in 12 years.

Four other players scored in double figures for the Mean Green, who overcame foul problems and turnovers to hold off a second-half rally by the 49ers (1-1).

Rich Young scored 16 points for North Texas before fouling out with less than nine minutes to play. Michael Sturns added 14 points, Calvin Watson 13 and Ben Bell 11.

The last time the Mean Green started off with a winning record was during the 1994-1995 season under then-coach Jimmy Gales, when North Texas opened with three straight wins.

De'Angelo Alexander scored 25 points for Charlotte, which was trying for its first 2-0 start since the 2000-2001 season.

But the 49ers couldn't fully overcome a slow start, in which they shot 28.6 percent from the field in the first half and trailed by as many as 18 points.

Davis had put the Mean Green up 44-26 on a 3-pointer with 2:42 left in the first half, but Charlotte scored nine unanswered points to pull within nine at 44-35 at the break.

The 49ers managed to cut North Texas' lead to four points three times in the second half, the last at 64-60 on Leemire Goldwire's jumper with 8:06 remaining.

But the Mean Green went on a 16-8 run over the next five minutes, with Sturns' 3-point play with 2:59 left pushing North Texas' lead back into double digits at 80-68.

The Mean Green then sealed the win by hitting 10-of-12 from the free-throw line in the final two minutes. (UNT hit 23 of 29 cool.gif )

Goldwire, named the Atlantic 10 player of the week earlier Sunday, added 13 points for the 49ers, and E.J. Drayton had his second straight double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds.

Goldwire earned the A-10 award for the second time in his career after scoring 26 points and hitting 12-of-12 from the free-throw line in the 49ers' season-opening 88-82 win over Hofstra less than 24 hours earlier.

Edited by MeanGreen61