Extended DRC Article on Flanigan

Harry

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...7.1187dd95.html

Football: UNT OC Flanigan moves to field level

11:49 PM CST on Monday, November 6, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas offensive coordinator Ramon Flanigan left the coaching box for the sideline on Saturday as part of a change in the Mean Green's game day coaching lineup that could remain in place for the rest of the season.

Wide receivers coach Chip Garber moved from the sideline to the coaching box, where he joined graduate assistant Andy Brewster to form UNT's contingent of offensive coaches who are not on the field during games.

"I was trying to get a different look at the game and visit more with the quarterbacks to get a better feel for what they were seeing," Flanigan said.

The switch was one of several the Mean Green made during their 34-31 loss to Louisiana Tech.

UNT's "Green Team" of backup offensive players also made its debut against the Bulldogs and scored 17 points in three possessions.

The "Green Team" will remain in place on Saturday when the Mean Green travel to Louisiana-Lafayette.

"I think we will stick with Ramon being on the sideline," UNT head coach Darrell Dickey said. "I haven't had a chance to talk with the offensive coaches yet. I don't have a problem with however they want to do it as long as we communicate and get plays in smoothly. We improved in that area on Saturday."

UNT has struggled with sideline organization while playing three sophomore quarterbacks.

The Mean Green came into their game against Tech ranked last nationally in total offense with an average of 206.1 yards a game. UNT improved on that total largely because of its "Green Team" unit, a set group of backup players who work as a unit in practice.

Dickey worked with the group of backups for 10-15 minutes after practice Tuesday-Thursday to install a simple game plan. UNT took advantage by scoring on a pair of touchdown passes from third-string quarterback Matt Phillips.

Dickey called the plays for the "Green Team" while Flanigan called the plays for the regular offense.

"The idea behind the 'Green Team' was not to take away from what the regular offense was doing," Dickey said. "We just put together a simple package of plays so that some guys who had not been playing would get a chance."

The strategy paid off when UNT finished with 415 yards against Tech, more than double its season average.

The Mean Green moved up to No. 118 out of 119 teams in Division I-A in total offense this week after their breakout performance and are now averaging 229.3 yards a game.

The problem UNT will run into with its "Green Team" this week is that several of the players on the squad do not usually travel. UNT can only take 66 players to road games.

"We are going to have to look at who we will take this week," Dickey said. "A lot of the guys on the 'Green Team' travel anyway, but what we might have to do is leave behind some of the guys we were planning to red shirt to allow some of the 'Green Team' guys to travel and play. They did well and deserve a chance to play."

Dickey named quarterback Nathan Tune and offensive linemen Nick Foster and Matthew Menard as players who are redshirting this season and might not travel for UNT's last two road games of the season.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

North Texas offensive coordinator Ramon Flanigan left the coaching box for the sideline on Saturday as part of a change in the Mean Green's game day coaching lineup that could remain in place for the rest of the season.

Wide receivers coach Chip Garber moved from the sideline to the coaching box, where he joined graduate assistant Andy Brewster to form UNT's contingent of offensive coaches who are not on the field during games.

"I was trying to get a different look at the game and visit more with the quarterbacks to get a better feel for what they were seeing," Flanigan said.

The switch was one of several the Mean Green made during their 34-31 loss to Louisiana Tech.

UNT's "Green Team" of backup offensive players also made its debut against the Bulldogs and scored 17 points in three possessions.

The "Green Team" will remain in place on Saturday when the Mean Green travel to Louisiana-Lafayette.

"I think we will stick with Ramon being on the sideline," UNT head coach Darrell Dickey said. "I haven't had a chance to talk with the offensive coaches yet. I don't have a problem with however they want to do it as long as we communicate and get plays in smoothly. We improved in that area on Saturday."

UNT has struggled with sideline organization while playing three sophomore quarterbacks.

The Mean Green came into their game against Tech ranked last nationally in total offense with an average of 206.1 yards a game. UNT improved on that total largely because of its "Green Team" unit, a set group of backup players who work as a unit in practice.

Dickey worked with the group of backups for 10-15 minutes after practice Tuesday-Thursday to install a simple game plan. UNT took advantage by scoring on a pair of touchdown passes from third-string quarterback Matt Phillips.

Dickey called the plays for the "Green Team" while Flanigan called the plays for the regular offense.

"The idea behind the 'Green Team' was not to take away from what the regular offense was doing," Dickey said. "We just put together a simple package of plays so that some guys who had not been playing would get a chance."

The strategy paid off when UNT finished with 415 yards against Tech, more than double its season average.

The Mean Green moved up to No. 118 out of 119 teams in Division I-A in total offense this week after their breakout performance and are now averaging 229.3 yards a game.

The problem UNT will run into with its "Green Team" this week is that several of the players on the squad do not usually travel. UNT can only take 66 players to road games.

"We are going to have to look at who we will take this week," Dickey said. "A lot of the guys on the 'Green Team' travel anyway, but what we might have to do is leave behind some of the guys we were planning to red shirt to allow some of the 'Green Team' guys to travel and play. They did well and deserve a chance to play."

Dickey named quarterback Nathan Tune and offensive linemen Nick Foster and Matthew Menard as players who are redshirting this season and might not travel for UNT's last two road games of the season.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Woo-hoo, we moved up to 118

I find it embarrassing that a group that only gets 10-15 minutes of practice time for one week is able to outperform a group that gets regular reps all season long.  If that doesn't speak volumes about how lacking our offensive coaching staff is I don't know what does.

Hence the reason DD put the first string back in, couldn't afford to have the Green Team win the game for us!!! blink.gif

I find it embarrassing that a group that only gets 10-15 minutes of practice time for one week is able to outperform a group that gets regular reps all season long.  If that doesn't speak volumes about how lacking our offensive coaching staff is I don't know what does.

It speaks volumes about how some coaches can motivate, and some can't.

I think it also shows just how bad a job RF has been doing for us, and that his "in-the-booth" mentality is completely failing. I think he's up there to get away from DD on the field so that DD can't hunt 'em down and come after him like a "spider monkey".

Seriously though, I t hink RF has to go... if DD can get 10-15 minutes with this group of players, and call the plays he was calling for them... then why not have him run the offense... no pun intended (with pass plays included).

I think it also shows just how bad a job RF has been doing for us, and that his "in-the-booth" mentality is completely failing.  I think he's up there to get away from DD on the field so that DD can't hunt 'em down and come after him like a "spider monkey".

Seriously though, I t hink RF has to go... if DD can get 10-15 minutes with this group of players, and call the plays he was calling for them... then why not have him run the offense... no pun intended (with pass plays included).

I agree. RF has to go. I think DD may finally be coming around to that mentality as well especially when he saw what he and Brewster could do with a group of backups vs what RFs starters accomplished.

DD should go for allowing RF to continue his non-productive ways. BTW, don't forget that all of RF's calls are funneled through DD for approval priot to being sent in. I can't believe the tone of the board seems to be shifting to DD staying and just RF going. The only way DD let's RF go is if he is forced to do it. They've been connected at the hip for so long, that I thought DD should go down with the ship. Afterall, he is ultimately responsible.

I read the first sentence...

"North Texas offensive coordinator Ramon Flanigan left the coaching box for the sideline on Saturday ...."

and thought we had another issue on our hands. Then I realized everyone was safe, and we were talking football coaching strategy....whew!

RF isn't going anywhere, talk at the game is he already has written out a statement if he is let go and he isn't fighting back saying his release was performance related. NT will get such negative publicity if RF goes through with it, that he ain't going anywhere.

Anyone will even a sliver of football knowledge will take one look at what ol' 'asleep at the wheel' Flanigan has "produced" and know that it most certainly WAS football related.

I couldn't have said it any better. DD says he is going to take more of the "green team" this week since they did so well last week. If you have third string guys on your team that are performing better than your starters, then bench your starters. This article just puts more of a light on how pathetic this whole coaching staff is.

If they don't clean house in relation to this coaching staff by the end of the season, then someone higher up needs to remove RV. DD and Co. are not getting the job done. If RV doesn't remove them, then he is not getting his job either.

RF isn't going anywhere, talk at the game is he already has written out a statement if he is let go and he isn't fighting back saying his release was performance related. NT will get such negative publicity if RF goes through with it, that he ain't going anywhere.

How would we get negative publicity for letting the offensive mastermind behind the #118 offense in the nation go? blink.gif

At this point in the season I'd hope it would be expected. dry.gif

I couldn't have said it any better.  DD says he is going to take more of the "green team" this week since they did so well last week.  If you have third string guys on your team that are performing better than your starters, then bench your starters.  This article just puts more of a light on how pathetic this whole coaching staff is. 

If they don't clean house in relation to this coaching staff by the end of the season, then someone higher up needs to remove RV.  DD and Co. are not getting the job done.  If RV doesn't remove them, then he is not getting his job either.

Hard to do anything when you're hands are tied. ph34r.gif

There, I used it, the ' ph34r.gif '.

Please explain, because the above makes no sense to me.

I've heard that he will play the race card, but I don't see how that would hold water considering his offense is ranked at the bottom of D1.

Well if he writes his "statements" like he writes his gameplans we have nothing to worry about.

RF would have no legs to stand on based on his crap offensive stats. If there is anything else going on inside the Department then fine they should be raked across the coals, but his performance alone and his witless attack on an alumni should be more than sufficient you would think. Of course 30 games under .500 should also get you fired, but not at UNT.

DD should go for allowing RF to continue his non-productive ways.  BTW, don't forget that all of RF's calls are funneled through DD for approval priot to being sent in.  I can't believe the tone of the board seems to be shifting to DD staying and just RF going.  The only way DD let's RF go is if he is forced to do it.  They've been connected at the hip for so long, that I thought DD should go down with the ship.  Afterall, he is ultimately responsible.

I was going to post something similar but you pretty much hit the nail on the head lifer. EVEN IF RF is the reason the offense is horrible, DD's job is to put together the 'total package'. That means offense, defense and special teams are crisp and ready to play.

If I were to continue to turn in lousy reports to clients at work it's my fault. If this keeps us and we lose business my boss is held responsible. No excuses for DD.