NT at the crossroads

Hunter Green

You know who REALLY wants back into coaching?  So much that he would probably be willing to work for less then Dickey?  How about Jerry Glanville. 

Don't think he'd leave Paradise for Denton.

Corky Nelson has Parkenson's disease and is retired from coaching.  I talked to Scott Davis last year and he said that he had talked to him and he looked real tired.

He still would do a better job motivating than DD.

Glanville is an interesting name. I have been to both of Hawaii's home games this year and Jones and Glanville have finally put it together. Last year there were still big question marks and they failed to reach the bowl. This year they blew out UNLV and held them to under 15 points. They blew out Eastern Illinois, ranked 20th in D1AA 44 - 9 and yes EIU would have kicked the hell out of UNT this year. They held Alabama to 25 points in the opener and only lost to Boise by 7, a team they have never beat since they joined the WAC. Hawaii's offense is stout this year, so I think Glanville benefits from the Warriors big leads; however, he is a Mainlander through and through. I bet you he would look very closely at an opportunity in the Great State of Texas. He wears his Cowboy hat at every practice.

Slocum would be interesting, but I am torn on experience versus connection. A young gun energetic coach would connect with today's generation which is HUGE! Look at what is happening at Rutgers. Whoever the coach is they must have attendance tied to their contract.

Other names that are going to be available soon - Coker and John L. Both have awesome experience.

GMG

Glanville is an interesting name.  I have been to both of Hawaii's home games this year and Jones and Glanville have finally put it together.  Last year there were still big question marks and they failed to reach the bowl.  This year they blew out UNLV and held them to under 15 points.  They blew out Eastern Illinois, ranked 20th in D1AA 44 - 9 and yes EIU would have kicked the hell out of UNT this year.  They held Alabama to 25 points in the opener and only lost to Boise by 7, a team they have never beat since they joined the WAC.  Hawaii's offense is stout this year, so I think Glanville benefits from the Warriors big leads; however, he is a Mainlander through and through.  I bet you he would look very closely at an opportunity in the Great State of Texas.  He wears his Cowboy hat at every practice. 

Slocum would be interesting, but I am torn on experience versus connection.  A young gun energetic coach would connect with today's generation which is HUGE!  Look at what is happening at Rutgers.  Whoever the coach is they must have attendance tied to their contract. 

Other names that are going to be available soon - Coker and John L.  Both have awesome experience.

GMG

I don't know about Coker. He basically has unlimited resources available and his team's play has declined season after season. I do like his attitude and his committment to building a disciplined program. I think Slocum's been out too long and doesn't have the recruiting power some here think he still has.

I'd love to see the fiery Glanville walking the sidelines in Denton. Emotion on the sideline from our coach would be a sight to see.

cool.gif

Guest Aquila_Viridis

We need to be prepared to pay a lot more money, and that goes for assistants too. With anyone willing to come for what we have been paying, in all likelihood it is going to be more of the same. It is important to convince the leadership that it is a wise investment. We tend to take it for granted that it is a good thing to have a good football team, but I'm not sure the leadership sees it the same way. Really, to get what we have enjoyed in some of the last few years given what we have put into it, relative to other schools, is sort of miraculous. So, there may have even been some unreasonable expectations set because of that.

We need to be prepared to pay a lot more money, and that goes for assistants too. With anyone willing to come for what we have been paying, in all likelihood it is going to be more of the same. It is important to convince the leadership that it is a wise investment. We tend to take it for granted that it is a good thing to have a good football team, but I'm not sure the leadership sees it the same way. Really, to get what we have enjoyed in some of the last few years given what we have put into it, relative to other schools, is sort of miraculous. So, there may have even been some unreasonable expectations set because of that.

Exactly. For all those who dream of having a high-profile head coach, go to RV with a big check in hand. The extra $150,000.00 per year to pay this type of coach doesn't grow on trees - it comes from us - and that is how we basically control the destiny of this program.

Exactly.  For all those who dream of having a high-profile head coach, go to RV with a big check in hand.  The extra $150,000.00 per year to pay this type of coach doesn't grow on trees - it comes from us - and that is how we basically control the destiny of this program.

Sorry, fellas, but I think the extra $150,000 could easily be found by down-sizing the NT athletic department which would probably free up more than $150K. Then you hire the high profile name football coach, a la Mike Price*, Dennis Erickson, etc, etc,....................and then several thousand additional football season ticket sales later you can re-hire (if you even need to) those who were down-sized out of Denton to make room for the high profile hire. blink.gif

Just looking at past football souvenir programs and the complete pictorial of (almost) our entire athletic ancillery staff, it really seems to be a bit top-heavy for a school that has been operating toward the bottom part of NCAA D1-A.

No, I will not go into any names but some of you have said to me for years: "What in the wide world of sports could that multi-year UNT athletic employee possibly be making for what he seems to not be doing?"

* Didn't El Paso Eagle recently post that Mike Price was not making all that one might have thought he would be making at UTEP (or at least what his base salary was)? Yet Coach Price had the kind of incentives, ie, increased attendance, increased fundraising for the Miner Club and of course, winning seasons as some pretty nice perk if he became successful.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen