Weeken is over

untwillrise

Can we get some news other than we suck. We still have Akron a game i wish i could go to and 8 more games. So just save all the fire DD until after the NO Bowl please. Thank you.

Actually, if you read the posts a little closer, our complaints are that we have TALENT that is not being utilized properly. Our defense rocks. OL needs some work. But we have some serious offensive talent in the QB, WR, and RB positions that can adapt and overcome this adversity. Our coaches need to give our boys a chance to win with a game plan other than: up the middle (left), up the middle (right), up the middle (center), punt.

If some you guys will remember, before the Middle Tennessee game in '01 ole Darrell really had his tail in a crack. Anyway, he really opened up the offense against MUTS and later admitted that he did not trust the offense to do as much as he put in for the game. In other words, he has a tendency to not realize how much the offense can really do. I hope he realizes that it is time to let the kids loose again.

If some you guys will remember, before the Middle Tennessee game in '01 ole Darrell really had his tail in a crack.  Anyway, he really opened up the offense against MUTS and later admitted that he did not trust the offense to do as much as he put in for the game.  In other words, he has a tendency to not realize how much the offense can really do.  I hope he realizes that it is time to let the kids loose again.

I think that is a great relevant historical observation. I have pointed out on more than one occasion that DD seems to believe that "scaling down" the offensive plan is the key to success b/c our players are unable to understand his play book (you can substitute your own speculative reason as to why he would say this: they are not capable, not prepared enough, not ready, too young, too stupid, don't study enough, etc.). It is really strange if you ask me. Why is it that our team has problems recalling & executing plays in game time situations? I strongly believe our boys can execute any well practiced game plan! He needs to have confidence in our boys... what is the worst that can happen? We score zero instead of 3 points?

Edited by chrisfisher

Guest GrayEagleOne

Actually, if you read the posts a little closer, our complaints are that we have TALENT that is not being utilized properly. Our defense rocks. OL needs some work. But we have some serious offensive talent in the QB, WR, and RB positions that can adapt and overcome this adversity. Our coaches need to give our boys a chance to win with a game plan other than: up the middle (left), up the middle (right), up the middle (center), punt.

Yeah, but our up the middle (center) is often a delay or draw, so it's not like we're doing the same thing every time.

I have always been puzzled by the fact that DD was a good college quarterback and that RF was a good college quarterback, yet our problems for the last few years have always centered on underutilization of the offensive talent (other than running backs). What is wrong with this picture? I give those guys credit for having been trained to find ways to move the ball and for having done it themselves. What am I missing here?

Why is it that our team has problems recalling & executing plays in game time situations?

I think you're asking that rhetorically, but anyway... I think the answer is, they don't. It's just kind of a BS thing that DD has started saying this year. At least he finally quit saying that "running game opens up the passing game" line. Man, did that get tiresome.

what is the worst that can happen? We score zero instead of 3 points?

Ha! laugh.gif

I think this game might surprise a few people in terms of what we are able to do offensively.

I think that Tulsa's 3-3-5 stack defense gave us more problems in terms of reading and play recognition than most people want to admit. Though you are only going to have 6 guys "in the box" on a typical down, the fact that it is so very difficult to read (backers lining up over the down linemen) more than makes up for the lack of outright manpower. If the linemen are real big boys, like Tulsa had, it makes it even more difficult as you need to double team at least the best guy out of the three, presenting huge problems in terms of pass pro. A solid between the tackles running game is the best offense against the stack because of the inherent manpower advantage at the LOS (6 defenders against 7 or 8 blockers). So your only other option is to pass the ball, and on Saturday that meant passing into the teeth of a 5 DB set with very windy conditions and shaky pass protection. That's a sure recipe for QB disaster, with picks and sacks at best and your up and coming star QB getting injured at worst.

However, this Saturday, we'll be going against a team in Akron that runs the same 3-3-5 Stack that Tulsa does. After having film and extra practice playing against an unconventional front, I expect Saturday to be much more competetive. I think the coaches and players will be ready, and my gut feeling against Akron is 20-17 NT.

Just my take.

I think this game might surprise a few people in terms of what we are able to do offensively. 

I think that Tulsa's 3-3-5 stack defense gave us more problems in terms of reading and play recognition than most people want to admit.  Though you are only going to have 6 guys "in the box" on a typical down, the fact that it is so very difficult to read (backers lining up over the down linemen) more than makes up for the lack of outright manpower.  If the linemen are real big boys, like Tulsa had, it makes it even more difficult as you need to double team at least the best guy out of the three, presenting huge problems in terms of pass pro.  A solid between the tackles running game is the best offense against the stack because of the inherent manpower advantage at the LOS (6 defenders against 7 or 8 blockers).  So your only other option is to pass the ball, and on Saturday that meant passing into the teeth of a 5 DB set with very windy conditions and shaky pass protection.  That's a sure recipe for QB disaster, with picks and sacks at best and your up and coming star QB getting injured at worst.

However, this Saturday, we'll be going against a team in Akron that runs the same 3-3-5 Stack that Tulsa does.  After having film and extra practice playing against an unconventional front, I expect Saturday to be much more competetive.  I think the coaches and players will be ready, and my gut feeling against Akron is 20-17 NT.

Just my take.

Great take. Perhaps you are right. I sure hope so. Under the scenario you presented, a win in Akron would really demonstrate to me that we have hope in the coaching department.