Running Game?

eeally

Seemed like Jamario did not get alot of holes to run through. 25/90yards is not bad but would like to see 25/125.

Can this be done?

Was SMU run defense too much? Or did they focus on J-MO and let Woody do his thing?

Thoughts....

We need to get J-Mo going if we are to take a shot at the Sun-Belt Conf. Title again.

Great Win by the way. Beat Tulsa!!!!!!!!1

SMU ran 8 in the box, blitzed, and mostly straight man coverage in the first half. Once the D loosened up a bit, Jamario was able to get going. Jmo only had like 9yds on 7 attempts in the first half. The 2nd half he went something like 18/81.

He was able to get more carries when drives were being sustained, in turn, helping him to get his game going. The 3 'N Outs in the 1st qtr and some of the 2nd qtr didn't help his cause.

We all no what loosened the D up in the last half of the 2nd qtr and the entire 2nd half, now don't we? biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Edited by Got5onIt

Here's .02 worth

It seemed like Jamario got most of his yards after Woody started making his plays. The SMU defense couldn't just worry about J-mo coming out of the backfield, they had to watch out for Woody as well. Something we have seen much since the passing of Andrew.

A few thoughts

J-Mo seems to be at his best when he runs off-tackle

We kept pushing it up the gut when the ponies had 8 men in the box – With the current line we are not ready to do this – Maybe in Conference?

When Robertson got in the game (I believe he was in at the same time a J-Mo for a while) it seemed to light a fire under J-Mo.

Edited by El Paso Eagle

Quite honestly folks, Jamario got his yards late in the game when their defense got tired and our O-line started to lean on them. Early in the game they stacked the box and left him no room to run.

It also seemed like Jamario was very hesitant that maybe he has lost a step. It seems like he used to explode through the line, but not on saturday. I hope this was just because he had nowhere to go.

I think the cat is out of the bag that we are going to run the ball. I think we need to keep force-feeding JQ until teams give us some holes that we can run through.

GMG!

I really believe J-Mo's problems were mainly of the 8 or 9 men in the box variety. SMU dared us to throw the ball and did not back off until it because apparent that Wilson could run or roll-out and throw. Then the safeties and LBs started to back off the line, giving NT more room to run. There were several plays in the first half where the safeties were 7 to 8 yards off the ball and the LBs looked like extra linemen.

by running up the middle (even if it was into a wall) we made absolutly sure that Woody and his recievers were able to do what they needed to to on the outside. I want J-mo to get 30 yards per carry, but when thats not happening it doesnt make me want to abandon pounding the middle. I dare say... Good Coaching??? Way to Gameplan???

It seemed most of the time when Jamario ran the ball, he was the only one in the backfield. If the other team knows your going to run the ball and you only have one option for them to key on, one wonder there was no where for him to go! However, when it was Jamario and someone else in the back field or Woody at the helm, they had to split their concentration and it always seemed like those plays usually came away with positive yardage.

As good as our defense was, I didn't like seeing the ponies on 1st or 2nd downs consistanly get 4-6yrds when they ran the ball. Our defense made the stops when they counted, but I would have liked to see a lot more 3 and outs.

As good as our defense was, I didn't like seeing the ponies on 1st or 2nd downs consistanly get 4-6yrds when they ran the ball. Our defense made the stops when they counted, but I would have liked to see a lot more 3 and outs.

True. I was very concerned when they were picking up 8 or 9 yards on every play. We must have made some adjustments though. HOLY COW! Adjustments? During a game? Has anyone checked the temperature in hades?

I really expected Keronna Henderson to have a role this season as a lead blocker for J-Mo. It's obvious that the O-Line isn't able to blow anyone off the line consistently. If we insist on running him up the middle 15-18 times a game (which is a mistake, but that's another story), he is going to need additional help.

As good as J-Mo is, he doesn't have Kevin Galbreath's or PC's ability between the tackles, and he doesn't have as good a line as they had. We need to alter the offense to fit the personnel, instead of asking the personnel to conform to the offense.