SMU/UNT Preview

MeanGreen61

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the replay of TTech-SMU. SMU seemed to base everything on their QB Willis, who was impressive with the ball. After watching both of our first games I would say the following: (please remember these are just opinions)

Offensive scheme: advantage SMU.  Sucks, but true. They have fast, big play receivers that find the gaps. Willis is a similar QB to Woody Wilson here, and will take off with the ball to avoid pressure. This QB will audible and run, and calls lots of shifts based on the defensive allignments.  The SMU offense appears dependant on Willis. Against T.Tech he was their leading passer and rusher. NT uses the Pro-set or I formation more and is somewhat predictable. Strength is in the run, so the NT offensive line will tell the tale on saturday.

Defensive Scheme: Advantage North Texas. The move to the 3-4 helps counter what SMU does well. SMU will shift their offensive set after Willis reads the defense. NT has the speed at LB to match up very well in cases of audible and shifts. The best receiver SMU has is Bobby Chase (6-4, 4.5 speed/ had 3 catches for 25 yards versus TTech). NT DB's will have to play up on the SMU receivers. For the NT defense to be effective, DB's willhave to jam the SMU receivers and hold their ground. We should see more "bump and run" during this game. Willis has to have no one open after his first read...thenhe is prone to take off. the 3-4 helps NT there. Control Willis and we control the SMU offense. On defense SMU plays the gap-control front seven, and soft zones in the secondary. Texas Tech ate that up. (10 out of 13 third down conversions successful)

The strength of the SMU defense is in the front four. They have decent LB speed, but missed A LOT of tackles in the TTech game. LB's are fast, but small. Their secondary has issues, no way around that. Play action passes could be huge against the SMU defense.

Coaching: Advantage - EVEN. Each coach does some things unique. Phil Bennett believes in rolling with the flow of the game on offense, and "Gap-control" against the run on Defense. This makes the offense unpredictable and the defense difficult to run against. Coach Bennett will change up his attack based on what he sees right then. Darrell Dickey is more of a "game-planning" coach who more or less scripts what he wants from his offense. Dickey will only change up the offense if he sees a distinct mismatch. NT will run the ball as scripted, even with 9 defensive men in the box. The NT defense has more "man for man" speed on the field, and as a result plays less gap control and more "run to the ball" type D. This is a benefit against a flexible offense.

Wild Card: "QB by committee" - NT needs a QB to step up and take this team. After only one game, it appears that Woody Wilson may be that guy. Options at the point of breakdown are what seperates a stagnant offensive from one that moves the ball. IF the gameplan is working, then Jamario has his 200 yards rushing and the QB only has to manage the game with no mistakes. If things start to go bad, the QB will need to make plays on his own. Coach Dickey has time to get that guy ready, but we need a leader to step forward and direct this offense. I think we may have something in Woody Wilson...

My prediction: Jamario has a big first half, Quinn and Jackson have a big second half. North Texas 35 - SMU 21.

GMG!!!

Tech had a pretty bad defense last year. Has it improved that much?

Yea, I was thinking throwing it back to Texas Teacher's College.

He obviously went to NTSU.

Actually I went to UNT. They teach current events there. All kinds of neat things were learned in that class, like that we became UNT 18 years ago or that SMU even this many years after the death penalty is still a joke everywhere in DFW...even on SMU's campus.