DMN DD looking for consistency from QB's

OldTimer

Dickey looking for consistency from QBs

12:27 AM CDT on Wednesday, September 6, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

UNT coach Darrell Dickey said Tuesday that consistency is the most important attribute he wants to see from his three quarterbacks competing for the starting job against SMU on Saturday.

Sophomore Matt Phillips started against the Longhorns and rotated with junior college transfer Woody Wilson. Returning starter Daniel Meager was cleared to return to practice this week after recovering from his second mild concussion during his time at UNT and is also in the mix for the starting job.

UNT has yet to pick a starter for Saturday's game against SMU.

"Nobody has put himself ahead at this point," Dickey said. "What we are trying to find out is if there is a point when we will trust that one player will get us out of bad plays – not make bad plays worse – and make plays when they are there."

Dickey said it's unlikely he would play all three quarterbacks against the Mustangs.

Briefly ...

Linebacker Germaine Dawson was named UNT's Defensive Player of the Game after breaking up three passes and finishing with eight tackles against Texas. The sophomore is expected to start against SMU on Saturday in place of injured starter Phillip Graves. ... Tight ends Bryant Seidle, Draylen Ross and center Kelvin Drake all played against Texas and are expected to see continued playing time.

Dickey said it's unlikely he would play all three quarterbacks against the Mustangs.

One fear is put to bed now.

I am so glad we are not rotating 3 QB's. I can stomach a two man rotation even though I am against it, but a 3 man QB rotation would have destroyed me.

If Meager is healthy, Phillips has go to be the odd man out. His lack of mobility, and always holding the ball too long is just such a hinderance(sp?) to our offense. A complete drive killer.

I know not many like Meager on this board, but atleast the guy can move.

I wish Meager or Woody would just pull away from the pack

I agree w/ you...Meager and Wilson, although I think Wilson should be given the starting job and not pulled unless we are stinking it up. It's such a weapon to have a qb that can run and pass...look at wv...look at how TCU came back on Sunday once the starter got hurt. You have to be a dual threat nowadays.

This seems to be criticize DD week for me. I am really a crazed UNT Mean Green fan (and student) that bleeds green and hate posting highly critical stuff all this week. Nevertheless, I want to pose the question: How can a quarterback demonstrate "consistency" if he can't stay in the game long enough to get into a rhythm? Technically, our QB position is consistently inconsistent with all the rotations. Another question: If marching down 80 yards for a TD against the best defense in the country is not going to put you in front, then what is?

Edited by chrisfisher

I just don't see how Woody didn't separate himself. Phillips was a statue and showed no zip on the ball. When we recovered the UT fumble and got down to the 7...that would been the perfect time to have woody in there running an option play...I want more options w/ my qb..not just stand back there and get drilled.

How can a quarterback demonstrate "consistency" if he can't stay in the game long enough to get into a rhythm? Technically, our QB position is consistently inconsistent with all the rotations.  Another question: If marching down 80 yards for a TD against the best defense in the country is not going to put you in front, then what is?

I can tell you're a new poster. You're still trying to apply logic to our gameplan.

I can tell you're a new poster.  You're still trying to apply logic to our gameplan.

yes, stick around a couple months and you can become as jaded and delusional as the rest of us!

seriously though, I dont know what more DD needs to see. One guy went 5-6 leading the team down the field on an 80 yard drive for a touchdown. The other guy didnt. seems easy to me.

Guest GrayEagleOne

If DD will go back and look at the video of the touchdown drive he will see consistent performance from a quarterback. The only bobble was not from the quarterback but from the receiver who took his eye off of the ball.

Even on his first series, he ran for about eight and completed a pass to Nwigwe for our first-first down not created from a penalty.

Play-calling also has something to do with looking inconsistent. For example, just before the blocked field goal we tried two straight times to run it up the gut. We probably couldn't score a td on our scout team doing that and we were up against one of the top defensive lines in the country.

DD, if you've just got to try your three quarterback review then pick another game to do it. We'd like to beat SMU and we don't stand a chance without Wilson starting and staying in there.

I just don't see how Woody didn't separate himself.  Phillips was a statue and showed no zip on the ball.  When we recovered the UT fumble and got down to the 7...that would been the perfect time to have woody in there running an option play...I want more options w/ my qb..not just stand back there and get drilled.

It is important that you and everyone else contact harry to get access to the Mean Green Report. I'm going to address that very issue this week on the Barbershop, and the answer is going to give you a lot of insight into why things have been the way they are.

I had a long chat with Ramon Flanigan about this kind of thing, as well as the playcalling in general, and it certainly changed my mind. We're going to be recording tonight, and it'll be up late tomorrow night or Thursday.

Play-calling also has something to do with looking inconsistent.  For example, just before the blocked field goal we tried two straight times to run it up the gut.  We probably couldn't score a td on our scout team doing that and we were up against one of the top defensive lines in the country.

And this, too, isn't anything close to what it seems. I'm going to go over that drive, specifically, and show you why you are right, but not at all in the way you think.

This seems to be criticize DD week for me. I am really a crazed UNT Mean Green fan (and student) that bleeds green and hate posting highly critical stuff all this week.  Nevertheless,  I want to pose the question: How can a quarterback demonstrate "consistency" if he can't stay in the game long enough to get into a rhythm? Technically, our QB position is consistently inconsistent with all the rotations.  Another question: If marching down 80 yards for a TD against the best defense in the country is not going to put you in front, then what is?

Man... this is a good thread to be finding examples of what we'll be covering tonight. Woody Wilson didn't stay in after the touchdown drive because he was dehydrated (they had him hooked up to an IV).

The other biggest thing I have to go over in the Barbershop tonight deals specifically with this drive, and how it wasn't at all what it seemed.

dude...give us some color now....killin' me...because to me and alot of other sportsfans, Woody is well above the other two in production and ability.  Is he a cancer?

No, not at all. He's a great athlete, teammate, and player. If it were me, I'd still probably start him against SMU. What it boils down to is an Xs and Os deal that will take time to get through, but will ultimately help to understand just why the offense does what it does.

Though this isn't exactly "top secret," it isn't something I want to go advertising on the forum that is open to everyone, because it does pertain to a part of the way we play the game.

But I promise you that you guys will want to hear it. Be sure to contact Harry and get your Mean Green Report username and password.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Man... this is a good thread to be finding examples of what we'll be covering tonight.  Woody Wilson didn't stay in after the touchdown drive because he was dehydrated (they had him hooked up to an IV).

The other biggest thing I have to go over in the Barbershop tonight deals specifically with this drive, and how it wasn't at all what it seemed.

Not for my account. I got kicked off of the MGR for revealing what was said AFTER it was public knowledge. I did it for a friend who had been a subscriber since it's inception, his subscription had expired and he couldn't renew, and I used a PM so that it could not be seen by others. I'm also under my second name because I couldn't post anything under my old identity. So, for my part, I'll still have to assume that it was all that it seemed.

Perhaps the most perplexing thing I have ever read. blink.gif I mean, if it wasn't a 80-yd drive for a TD, then, what was it? huh.gif