Overrated UT player down

emmitt01

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2540162

And who knew that Adrian Peterson was already in the NFL

Didn't you know that all OU players are on the payroll?? How can Benson be overrated after that first almost humorous if not just plain sad run 2 years ago where he shreaded NT tackles like water off a duck's back. If he is overrated what does that say about our defense??

It's just Emmitt's inferiority complex again.  Lots of people on this board seem to have them.  It is really sad how much some folks take pleasure in injuries from other schools and everything just because they have some complex like this.

That psychoanalysis is spot on. Just how many years of schooling did you invest in vain?

Forget the personal attack. 

How is Benson overrated?  I'm curious.  He's carried every program he's been in.  How is he overrrated?

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF TEXAS!!!!!

Yes, in high school he was all world...against high school competition. At Texas he played behind a massive line and had Roy Williams and company to take the pressure off of the running game...and still didn't win the big game. If I'm not mistaken they were o-fer against Oklahoma were they not...so much for carrying a team. In addition he lacks the breakaway speed of a better back like an AP or even J-Mo.

But, of course, because he played for UT he was anointed to be superman. It amuses me how questioning UT on this board leads to being branded "anti-Texan" or having an "inferiority complex." I'm not anti-UT, I'm anti-leming.

Maybe this can help clarify:

"In 49 games, Benson carried 1,112 times for 5,540 yards (5.0 avg.) and 64 touchdowns. His 5,540 yards rank sixth on the NCAA Division I-A career-record list and is topped only by (Ricky) Williams (6,279, 1995-98) on the Longhorns' all-time record chart. He is only the fifth back in NCAA history to rush for over 1,000 yards in each of his four seasons. His 64 touchdowns are surpassed only by Williams (72) and Travis Prentice of Miami, Ohio (73, 1996-99) on the NCAA's career record list. He also set an NCAA record by scoring at least once in 37 games. In the 25 games in which Benson ran for over 100 yards, the Longhorns won every contest.

Benson also caught 69 passes for 621 yards (9.0 avg.) and three scores. His 6,161 all-purpose yards rank second in school annals, surpassed only by Williams (7,206). He is one of three players in NCAA history to rush for 5,000 yards and score 400 points. 262 of his 1,112 career carries have gone for first downs (23.6 percent) and Benson gained 3,108 of his 5,540 career rushing yards (56.1 percent) after contact. Only 84 of his 1,112 career carries have resulted in lost yardage (once every 13.2 carries). His 404 career points rank second in Texas history and fourth in NCAA annals among non-kickers."

I noticed you forgot to put the No. of Big 12 titles he led Texas to.

I believe it was ZERO!!!

But by that logic, Dan Marino never carried the Dolphins because they never won the big one. It just doesn't make sense. Are you saying Jamaal Charles is already better than Cedric Benson because his Texas team WON the big one? That's just inarguable. Benson was a great collegiate player. His contribution is in no way the reason Texas didn't win a title in his time there - they were still perennially one of the top programs in the nation.

You take every great RB to win a title in college, and I'll take every one who didn't, and it's not even close.

Yes, in high school he was all world...against high school competition.  At Texas he played behind a massive line and had Roy Williams and company to take the pressure off of the running game...and still didn't win the big game.  If I'm not mistaken they were o-fer against Oklahoma were they not...so much for carrying a team.  In addition he lacks the breakaway speed of a better back like an AP or even J-Mo. 

But, of course, because he played for UT he was anointed to be superman.  It amuses me how questioning UT on this board leads to being branded "anti-Texan" or having an "inferiority complex."  I'm not anti-UT, I'm anti-leming.

Touchy touchy Emmitt. I never questioned your Texas loyalty or claimed you were inferior. I just asked you to clarify yourself.

You say Roy Williams took the pressure off him. But it is just as easy to say he took the pressure off Williams. Either way it's two superior talents helping each other out. And I can't believe you criticize him for playing behind big O lines. Don't forget the Big XII defesive lines are some of the toughest in the nation. He has to run against those.

Breakaway speed. Benson is a bruiser not a slasher. He's a hell of a bruiser at that. Coming out of high school he could have gone to any college in the nation. I don't think all those coaches were wrong about his talent. The same is true for Chris Simms (and if you want to call him overrated, I don't have any problem with that.)

Winning the big game. Let's take a closer look at this. Here's his record at UT:

Coach: Mack Brown

Season: 11-2-0

Big 12: 7-1-0 (T-1st, South Champion)

Final Ranking: 5th AP; 5th USA Today/ESPN

Sept. 1 (#5) New Mexico State W 41-7

Sept. 8 (#4) North Carolina W 44-14

Sept. 22 (#5) @ Houston W 53-26

Sept. 29 (#5) Texas Tech W 42-7

Oct. 6 (#5) vs. #3 Oklahoma L 3-14

Oct. 13 (#11) @ Oklahoma State W 45-17

Oct. 20 (#9) #14 Colorado W 41-7

Oct. 27 (#7) @ Missouri W 35-16

Nov. 3 (#5) @ Baylor W 49-10

Nov. 10 (#5) Kansas W 59-0

Nov. 23 (#5) @ Texas A&M W 21-7

Dec. 1 (#3) #9 Colorado L 37-39*

Dec. 28 (#9) vs. #21 Washington W 47-43#

* - Big 12 Championship

# - Holiday Bowl

Season: 11-2-0

Big 12: 6-2-0 (T-1st, South)

Final Ranking: 6th AP; 7th USA Today/ESPN

Aug. 31 (#3) North Texas W 27-0

Sept. 14 (#3) @ North Carolina W 52-21

Sept. 21 (#3) Houston W 41-11

Sept. 28 (#3) @ Tulane W 49-0

Oct. 5 (#2) Oklahoma State W 17-15

Oct. 12 (#3) vs. #2 Oklahoma L 24-35

Oct. 19 (#8) @ #17 Kansas State W 17-14

Oct. 26 (#7) #17 Iowa State W 21-10

Nov. 2 (#7) @ Nebraska W 27-24

Nov. 9 (#4) Baylor W 41-0

Nov. 16 (#4) @ Texas Tech L 38-42

Nov. 29 (#10) Texas A&M W 50-20

Jan. 1 (#9) vs. LSU W 35-20#

# - Cotton Bowl

Season: 10-3-0

Big 12: 7-1-0

Final Ranking: 12th AP; 11th USA Today/ESPN

Aug. 31 (#5) New Mexico State W 66-7

Sept. 13 (#6) Arkansas L 28-38

Sept. 20 (#13) @ Rice W 48-7

Sept. 27 (#13) Tulane W 63-18

Oct. 4 (#13) #16 Kansas State W 24-20

Oct. 11 (#11) vs. #1 Oklahoma L 13-65

Oct. 18 (#20) @ Iowa State W 40-19

Oct. 25 (#19) @ Baylor W 56-0

Nov. 1 (#16) #12 Nebraska W 31-7

Nov. 8 (#11) @ #21 Oklahoma State W 55-16

Nov. 15 (#6) Texas Tech W 43-40

Nov. 28 (#6) @ Texas A&M W 46-15

Dec. 30 (#5) vs. #15 Washington St. L 20-28#

# - Holiday Bowl

Season: 11-1-0

Big 12: 7-1

Final Ranking: 5th AP; 4th USA Today/ESPN

Sept. 4 (#7) North Texas W 65-0

Sept. 11 (#7) @ Arkansas W 22-20

Sept. 25 (#5) Rice W 35-13

Oct. 2 (#5) Baylor W 44-14

Oct. 9 (#5) vs. #2 Oklahoma L 0-12

Oct. 16 (#9) #24 Missouri W 28-20

Oct. 13 (#8) @ #24 Texas Tech W 51-21

Oct. 30 (#8) @ Colorado W 31-7

Nov. 6 (#6) #19 Oklahoma State W 56-35

Nov. 13 (#6) @ Kansas W 27-23

Nov. 26 (#5) #22 Texas A&M W 26-13

Jan. 1 (#6) vs. #12 Michigan W 38-37#

# - Rose Bowl

He didn't play against OU his freshman year (a fact I'm sure Mack Brown regrets) 0-3. BTW those OU teams were some of the best teams money could buy.

Texas beat A&M every year. 4-0. You have to call those big games.

They beat Nebraska twice. Back when they were good.

They won 3 of 4 bowl games 3-1. The reverse record of our own beloved Mean Green.

That's a total of 9-4 in big games. Even if you count the OU game he didn't play in he has a winning record of 9-5.

Here's the jist of my argument. I understand having a dislike for certain players, hell I don't like Michael Jordan, but he's clearly one of the all time greats. But if you are going to throw around terms like "overrated" be prepared to back them up. Clearly Benson hasn't proven himself on the Pro level yet but he's shown he's a valued commodity wherever he's played thusfar.

GO MEAN GREEN

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF TEXAS!!

Edited by EagleD

Yes, in high school he was all world...against high school competition.  At Texas he played behind a massive line and had Roy Williams and company to take the pressure off of the running game...and still didn't win the big game.  If I'm not mistaken they were o-fer against Oklahoma were they not...so much for carrying a team.  In addition he lacks the breakaway speed of a better back like an AP or even J-Mo. 

But, of course, because he played for UT he was anointed to be superman.  It amuses me how questioning UT on this board leads to being branded "anti-Texan" or having an "inferiority complex."  I'm not anti-UT, I'm anti-leming.

Emmitt, I have come to the conclusion over the past few years that anytime you can poke UT, you do (justified or not). I just don't understand how you can't give cedric his credit. Questioning UT on this board once or twice does not get you unfairly labeled. Doing it every year at various points throughout the year, even when Benson doesn't even play for UT anymore, does. Admit your bitterness and hatred for UT by putting it in your sig, but Cedric should be labeled as anything but "overrated", even by anti-lemings that hate UT.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here is another clue as to why Benson is overrated:

Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was disciplined by coach Lovie Smith for exiting the sidelines of Friday's preseason game without permission. The second-year veteran also skipped a mandatory post-game meeting.

Smith told reporters, "Cedric was supposed to have been on the sideline like the rest of our football team and he wasn't."

Benson was named starting tailback before training camp, despite a 1,000-yard effort last year from Thomas Jones, who has discontent with having to compete for the job. Benson, lack of maturity and disregard for the team and all, can still take over the top spot.

Lovie said, "I'm just going to say I punished him."

Benson claims he wasn't aware of any rules in regards to having to stay on the sidelines during games unless told otherwise. Apparently, he doesn't know too much about Randy Moss, either.

Benson said, "As far as being on the sideline, I don't remember reading anything specific. But I guess, I know now."

The 2005 first-round pick has battled injuries thus far in the preseason. He's been sidelined since Aug. 5 with a shoulder injury and has just begun practicing again this week.

Benson added, "It's something new to deal with, to not be out playing. So maybe I kind of just let my emotions get the best of me at the time."

"[Coach Smith] just basically told me I know better than that, I'm not a young guy any more. It's a professional's game and I need to be one. He talked to me just like a man."

I live in Austin and I think UT sucks...So what! Cedric Benson is a great guy but lets see him play a little bit before we say he is overrated. Let's face it. 2 yrs ago this board was saying Patrick Cobbs was going to take the NFL by storm. Well he was not even drafted. But he might go on to great things.....

My point let them play before we dog them out just for being from another Texas School.

Did I mention that living in Austin is a nightmare!

--I am from Midland.. Ced Benson was the runningback here for three years with Andy Brewster as his center and the tight end on that team was Eric Winston (Miami) who was drafted by the Texans this year.... That group only won state 3 consecutive years and did not really face much competiton in the process. How many more RBs played all four years at UT and was an impact player. I guess the pro scouts were all nuts and know less because he was a first round pick.

--I also noticed he ran right though us on the first play from srimmage when we played them in Austin two years ago. He sat most of the game to hold the score down (not that Selvyn Young is a lot worse).

---Sound more like more UT hate.. the boy was good, extremely good.. so good that his HS teams and college teams rarely lost. In fact his freshman/sophmore? year the only game UT lost was to OU was when he did not start, a mistake which they admitted later because UT picked it up after he came in.. Wasn't he a Heisman finalist???? Perhaps you have seen something few others have!!

---Yes he won against HS competition, but he was a HS kid and even a young sophmore (age 15) when they won state the first time.

---He was a fairly good baseball player as well and played baseball in the minor leagues for three summers after HS. He had some kind of contract arrangement that he could stop for fall football at UT. He did not play prior baseball to his senior season.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66