Interesting Question

Ok theres two scenerio's pick your choice:

1. We barely beat a good UT squad and go on to lose to SMU by a few touchdowns like the frogs last year.

2. We get stomped in by UT again but rebound to beat SMU by a touchdown.

Just interesting to see how each of you weight each game in level of importance.

Personally I take the win over UT any and every day regardless of the score next week of the SMU game.

Ok theres two scenerio's pick your choice:Just interesting to see how each of you weight each game in level of importance.

Personally I take the win over UT any and every day regardless of the score next week of the SMU game.

I take the win over SMU at Fouts every time. Scenario 1, to me, is a fluke, and wouldn't be indicative of where the program should be going. Scenario 2, when it happens, will be the step in the right direction for the program.

Tough call...do we, like TCU, end the season ranked in the Top 10 (Coaches Poll) with only the one loss to SMU?? If so, I easily choose hypothetical scenario #1.

I understand your thought process in the question, but success should be based on more than one or two games. If we happened to beat Texas and SMU but then lost every other game, I would be just as disatisfied with the season as I was last year.

1. Six days of bliss followed by about 52 weeks of despair.

2. Yet another "oh well," followed the beginning of our vindication for decades of getting crapped on.

Which win would go down in the legends of Mean Green football? UT.

Which win would contribute to a balance of Kharma? SMU.

We've been through both scenarios already in the last 10 years:

1. 1997. Beat Tech one week, then host tamu at Texas Stadium to close to 50k fans---give them a game for one half before fumbling it away. Everyone's hopes are still somewhat high as we get our next game (first Big West contest) at Idaho aired on local live tv....we lose that game and everyone says we're a fluke.

2. 2002. Get stomped by UT (27-0, while closer than we're used to--is still a stomping. I was there, in person) but go onto our best year in decades as we finish with a big bowl win. Heck, even 2004 is a good example...we get absolutely shallacked 65-0 at UT, but go on to win the conference again.

So....having lived through both scenarios, I'd have to take #2 b/c it ultimately leads to more respect for NT. That said, I'd really rather beat both of them! smile.gif

I'll take the SMU win at home. UT was a decent match-up back when we had that really good defense. (Kennedy, Awasome, Hurd, Buckles, Jones, Spencer) and 27-0 final score was a victory of sorts for us. As much faith as I have in this team, and I do have faith... I dont think this D is as good as that one was. However, this defense is certainly good enough to control the Ponies. I feel like this is a winnable game regardless of what they are saying on their board. Other than Bobby Chase and one great linebacker, they dont have a distinct talent advantage over anyone on their schedule except maybe Sam Houston State? The bulk of their schedule will be really tough for them.

Give me a win on September 9th. We will be out there the night before tailgaiting, so it would be nice to leave Fouts with alcohol related nausea...not football related.

Any Pony fans that want to come out have a beer are welcome... but the rum is only for Mean Greeners...

GMG!!! wink.gif

Get stomped by UT (27-0, while closer than we're used to--is still a stomping.  I was there, in person)

Not for me. That 27 point loss was the worse loss to Texas up until that time since losing to them by 23 in '83.

1992 loss by 18

1988 loss by 3

1983 loss by 23

1981 loss by 13

1978 loss by 10

1976 loss by 3

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I'll take the UT win and hope I can get to my seats by kickoff the next week against SMU. Fouts would be a madhouse coming off such an upset of Texas.

I'm not familar with rule #76, but I like the notion. Play like a champion.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Beating UT would really be a feather in our hat, however beating SMU would do nothing except provide a great feeling to UNT fans. Let's face it, SMU has had one of the worst programs in the nation for years , a loss to them would be a bad omen for the remainder of the season.

You guys are kidding.

Beat the defending national champs, a top ten team or beat a weak ass team that hasnt been to a bowl in decades...

The argumet should be beat UT or win the LaTech/SMU/ games. That sort of levels it out, but I would still take a win in Austin.